Super Bowl Home Games | Syracusefan.com

Super Bowl Home Games

SWC75

Bored Historian
Watching this Super Bowl, I couldn’t help but wonder what is going through Peyton Manning’s mind as his brother plays the Patriots on the Colts home field in the Super Bowl. I don’t think words could come close to describing how much he’d rather be in there with the Colts.

I wondered how many times teams have had a “home game” in the Super Bowl. It was easy enough to look up: technically, none. But if you extend the concept of a home game to another arena either in the same city or close to it you could count two of them: Super Bowl XIV in Pasadena California, where the Steelers won their fourth Super Bowl in six years over the then Los Angeles Rams, 31-19, (the Rams played their home games in the Coliseum thought that year, then in Anaheim for 15 seasons before moving to St. Louis) and Super Bowl XIX when the 49ers crushed the Dolphins, 38-16 in Stanford Stadium.

Here is a list of NFL cities where the Super Bowl has been played and the teams that have played in those cities with the number of opportunities they had to have home games there. Again I’m going with metropolitan areas here: Arlington is Dallas, Glendale and Tempe are Phoenix, (Arizona) etc.

Miami 10 times (Dolphins 0 of 10 chances)
New Orleans 9 times (Saints 0 of 9 chances)
Los Angeles 7 times (Rams 1 of 7 chances, Raiders 0 of 3 chances)
Tampa 4 times, (Buccaneers 0 of 4 times)
San Diego 3 times, (Chargers 0 of 3 chances)
Arizona 2 times, (Cardinals 0 of 2 chances)
Atlanta 2 times, (Falcons 0 of 2 times)
Detroit 2 times (Lions 0 of 2 chances)
Houston 2 times, (Oilers 0 of 1 chances, Texans 0 of 1 chances)
Dallas 1 time (Cowboys 0 of 1 chances)
Indianapolis 1 time, (Colts 0 of 1 chance)
Jacksonville 1 time, (Jaguars 0 of 1 chance)
San Francisco 1 time, (49ers 1 of 1 chance)

Every Super Bowl has been played in an NFL city but the Raiders and Rams shared Los Angeles for three of the games played in Pasadena so there have been 49 chances for a Super Bowl home team and two of them have been realized with the home team going 1-1 in those games.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bspencer309

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom