SU's drug policy | Syracusefan.com

SU's drug policy

Toga

Living Legend
We have a new Chancellor and a new AD. Can we now please change (or eliminate) the drug policy? You know - the one the NCAA does not require us to have? At the minimum can we please remove pot from any remaining policy? You know - the drug that does not enhance athletic performance? The one that caused zero overdoses in the past year(s)? The drug that was a linchpin the NCAA penalties? That one? Please?

We have a new Chancellor and a new AD. Can we now please change (or eliminate) the drug policy? You know - the one the NCAA does not require us to have? At the minimum can we please remove pot from any remaining policy? You know - the drug that does not enhance athletic performance? The one that caused zero overdoses in the past year(s)? The drug that was a linchpin the NCAA penalties? That one? Please?
Thanks, Toga

latest

Dude, you are good...they don't test fans to get into the Dome.

Toga said:

So if an SU player smokes pot you'd prefer they get caught during a random test during the NCAAs? The intent of a schools drug policy is to clean it up in house.

So if an SU player smokes pot you'd prefer they get caught during a random test during the NCAAs? The intent of a schools drug policy is to clean it up in house.
Well let's leave aside how asinine it would be for the NCAA to disqualify someone for smoking pot. If the NCAA would do that though, doesn't mean the school couldn't test but not have specific penalties (including calling Mom and Dad for a second offense). That way you can emphasize that the player will need to play along with the NCAA's little war on marijuana and to knock it off for awhile. It wouldn't require you to impose penalties and require you to self report to the NCAA if you mess up.

Toga said:
Well let's leave aside how asinine it would be for the NCAA to disqualify someone for smoking pot. If the NCAA would do that though, doesn't mean the school couldn't test but not have specific penalties (including calling Mom and Dad for a second offense). That way you can emphasize that the player will need to play along with the NCAA's little war on marijuana and to knock it off for awhile. It wouldn't require you to impose penalties and require you to self report to the NCAA if you mess up.

I agree about the pot but that's a different discussion. But if the school has a drug policy you need penalties. Ours penalties were pretty weak but we didn't follow them. Get caught at an NCAA event, the player is suspended for a year.

I agree about the pot but that's a different discussion. But if the school has a drug policy you need penalties. Ours penalties were pretty weak but we didn't follow them. Get caught at an NCAA event, the player is suspended for a year.
I ask because I don't know the answer. An athlete caught with pot in their system while tested during an NCAA event would be suspended for a year?

Toga said:
I ask because I don't know the answer. An athlete caught with pot in their system while tested during an NCAA event would be suspended for a year?

Yea he or she would.

can you post this 1000x so I can like it every time.

I still think having a policy is stupid. Look at the harm it has done to the program. Bad as it might be to have a player banned by the NCAA, it would be better for the program to have a player or players banned rather than the sh=t show we have endured on the program because of having a policy we do not have to have.

No reason you could not do internal testing without an official policy or change the policy in such a way that SU is not the enforcing/ testing agency.

Last edited:
Keep the policy, change the penalties. 1st offense = a stern look from Jim Boeheim. 2nd offense = a stern look + a wag of the finger. 3rd offense = a verbal, "stop doing what you're doing, please". 4th offense: "seriously, knock it off". 5th offense: threaten to call parents, but don't make it a requirement that they actually be called.

I still think having a policy is stupid. Look at the harm it has done to the program. Bad as it might be to have a player banned by the NCAA, it would be better for the program to have a player or players banned rather than the sh=t show we have endured on the program because of having a policy we do not have to have.

No reason you could not do internal testing without an official policy or change the policy in such a way that SU is not the enforcing/ testing agency.

The only legal way to perform internal testing is to have a drug policy in place.

Agree with Bees. Remember back when SU played in the NCAA tournament in Worcester about 10 years ago and 2 or 3 players mysteriously were not allowed to play? I think both Wrights were involved and maybe BE (this was a rare case where 2 Wrights = a wrong).

Anyway, in those days, if you were caught with pot in your bloodstream, you were only suspended for the NCAA tournament. Now you are suspended for an entire year.

The real problem is that the NCAA is out of step with the rest of the country, dramatically strengthening penalties on marijuana use while the rest of the USA is actively relaxingor even removing them.

I understand where SU made their penalties stronger too, to try and ensure the players take the rules seriously and do not mess any with pot during the season. They don't want a situation where 5 players are caught and the program is crippled for a season.

If pot was a performance enhancing drug, I could understand where the NCAA is coming from. Based on what we have seen from the SU players we know used it, I don't see why they are concerned.

Agree with Bees. Remember back when SU played in the NCAA tournament in Worcester about 10 years ago and 2 or 3 players mysteriously were not allowed to play? I think both Wrights were involved and maybe BE (this was a rare case where 2 Wrights = a wrong).

Anyway, in those days, if you were caught with pot in your bloodstream, you were only suspended for the NCAA tournament. Now you are suspended for an entire year.

The real problem is that the NCAA is out of step with the rest of the country, dramatically strengthening penalties on marijuana use while the rest of the USA is actively relaxingor even removing them.

I understand where SU made their penalties stronger too, to try and ensure the players take the rules seriously and do not mess any with pot during the season. They don't want a situation where 5 players are caught and the program is crippled for a season.

If pot was a performance enhancing drug, I could understand where the NCAA is coming from. Based on what we have seen from the SU players we know used it, I don't see why they are concerned.

It's called recreational for a reason. Legalize it.

If somebody gets drug test fail for pot. I don't care and should be no punishment. Especially in College.

It's like parents having a curfew for their kids. If the kid breaks curfew you don't have to punish them. Because its your curfew you set and have.

We broke our own policy, we were not even required to have in the first place.

CuseHulk said:
It's like parents having a curfew for their kids. If the kid breaks curfew you don't have to punish them. Because its your curfew you set and have. We broke our own policy, we were not even required to have in the first place.

So you're on the side of letting the NCAA catch it and the kid being out a year?

Last edited:
So you're on the side of letting the NCAA catch it and the kid being out a year?

This operates under the assumptions that drug testing stops players from doing drugs and that players aren't generally smart enough (or can't be made aware) to not do drugs when the NCAAT is on the horizon. IMO, neither is an accurate assumption.

This operates under the assumptions that drug testing stops players from doing drugs and that players aren't generally smart enough (or can't be made aware) to not do drugs when the NCAAT is on the horizon. IMO, neither is an accurate assumption.

Yet we have players who weren't smart enough to avoid testing positive multiple times, even when they knew their second failed test would result in a suspension of half a season.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cusethunder

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom