SU's drug policy | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

SU's drug policy

Brooky03 said:
This operates under the assumptions that drug testing stops players from doing drugs and that players aren't generally smart enough (or can't be made aware) to not do drugs when the NCAAT is on the horizon. IMO, neither is an accurate assumption.

It assumes the risk is reduced which is a fact.

This operates under the assumptions that drug testing stops players from doing drugs and that players aren't generally smart enough (or can't be made aware) to not do drugs when the NCAAT is on the horizon. IMO, neither is an accurate assumption.

You can test positive for THC for up to a month...maybe longer.

This will happen - maybe by mid-century.

Of course, that's what was said about gay marriage, so there's hope!

One day it will, hopefully in my lifetime, and then people will realize how wrong they were.

Are coaches, referees etc drug tested by the NCAA? Just wondering why only student-athletes are targeted by the NCAA?

Are coaches, referees etc drug tested by the NCAA? Just wondering why only student-athletes are targeted by the NCAA?
How about testing NCAA executives? Wouldn't want them under the influence while making important decisions. Or maybe we would.

So you're on the side of letting the NCAA catch it and the kid being out a year?
Yes exactly, the only policy that SU should have is a policy informing players of the consequences under NCAA rules.

team bus drivers ?

The Driver Alcohol Detection System for Safety for Safety (DADSS) is researching technology that would disable vehicles when an intoxicated driver enters the vehicle. The new blood alcohol sensors are both breath-based and touch-based, according to Daily Mail. The breath-based blood alcohol sensors have the ability to measure the amount of alcohol molecules in the driver’s breath. The touch-based blood alcohol sensors can actually measure the amount of alcohol in the driver’s blood by using near-infrared tissue spectroscopy. This technology is reportedly being used by the U.S. National Highway Traffic Safety Administration to create a “world without drunk driving.”
The new technology is so advanced that it not only detects when driving-age adults enter a vehicle with a BAC of.08, which is the national level limit, it also will cause a vehicle to completely power down if an under-21 driver enters with even a drop of alcohol in their system. The research has been ongoing since 2008, and the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration has since published the results of each research phase.

just knowing how well this advanced tech "always works" and conjuring in my mind multiple situations where a person who had consumed a couple beers or a minor would absolutely have to drive to assistance or someone might die...

BAD IDEA!!!!

Christ. How hard is it to not smoke pot. ridiculous. People think they're entitled to everything.
Hah! Where is Devo with his meditation? There's the ticket! Let's get Dino over to the basketball side to help those kids visualize putting a ball in a basket.

SUbear said:
Yes exactly, the only policy that SU should have is a policy informing players of the consequences under NCAA rules.

Since over 90% of schools have a drug testing program they must think it's a good thing.

Since over 90% of schools have a drug testing program they must think it's a good thing.

It's window dressing. Sucking up to the Boss.

You are conflating two different things, you can have a drug testing policy that does not include any penalties that need be enforced. The institution decides what it will have as a policy. For instance school A has a policy that you must take blood tests for prohibited substances but has no penalties to enforce only warnings. Syracuse on the other hand had a policy that required them to take action or penalise the player and that is where you can get into trouble, and SU did.
In my previous post I said they can have a testing program just not anything where SU must take any action. Most other institutions have no policy or a penaty free drug testing program.

SUbear said:
You are conflating two different things, you can have a drug testing policy that does not include any penalties that need be enforced. The institution decides what it will have as a policy. For instance school A has a policy that you must take blood tests for prohibited substances but has no penalties to enforce only warnings. Syracuse on the other hand had a policy that required them to take action or penalise the player and that is where you can get into trouble, and SU did. In my previous post I said they can have a testing program just not anything where SU must take any action. Most other institutions have no policy or a penaty free drug testing program.

Each NCAA member is responsible for determining whether to establish an institutional drug-testing program, at which time the school would be responsible for determining applicable penalties. If a testing program is established, though, the school is obligated to enforce the penalties. Failure to do so can lead to NCAA sanctions.

Each NCAA member is responsible for determining whether to establish an institutional drug-testing program, at which time the school would be responsible for determining applicable penalties. If a testing program is established, though, the school is obligated to enforce the penalties. Failure to do so can lead to NCAA sanctions.
What about this can you not understand ? The NCAA does not require that there be ANY penalties in an institutions drug testing program. They do not even require you have a drug testing program.
They only require that you follow whatever it is you have as a policy, which to be safe from NCAA strictures should not include any type of penalty to be enforced by the institution. Your policy can simply be that you test for substances and inform that you are doing so, you can use this info to educate your players rather than create an adversarial relationship with them. You can educate them to possible NCAA penalties if caught in their testing without establishing a punitive system.

SUbear said:
What about this can you not understand ? The NCAA does not require that there be ANY penalties in an institutions drug testing program. They do not even require you have a drug testing program. They only require that you follow whatever it is you have as a policy, which to be safe from NCAA strictures should not include any type of penalty to be enforced by the institution. Your policy can simply be that you test for substances and inform that you are doing so, you can use this info to educate your players rather than create an adversarial relationship with them. You can educate them to possible NCAA penalties if caught in their testing without establishing a punitive system.

I understand it very well. Most schools have a drug policy. Most schools use penalties as part of that program. A policy doesn't have much teeth without penalties. Many schools even use suspensions for the first offense, including football factories such as LSU and Georgia. At SU the first offense is calling mom and dad. Not very harsh to me.

I understand it very well. Most schools have a drug policy. Most schools use penalties as part of that program. A policy doesn't have much teeth without penalties. Many schools even use suspensions for the first offense, including football factories such as LSU and Georgia. At SU the first offense is calling mom and dad. Not very harsh to me.

Is that true, I thought colleges weren't allowed to discuss anything with parents, or does that just pertain to grades?

Christ. How hard is it to not smoke pot. ridiculous. People think they're entitled to everything.

Says the guy with a avatar of Carmelo :p

Pro players, and D league players are not held to high academic and drug standards. Just ask Lamar Odom.
Heck half the nba is probably roided up while A-Rod is the devil (because he played for the yankees.)

Nobody cars about the D league, but there are alot of college basketball fans out there. We don't give a damn about academics and drugs. How often do we talk with a fan of another team about the academics and partying procedures of one of our college players. Its 13 players I can give a dam@ less about their academics and partying standards. I would take a guy who speaks 0 english if he can play. Heck, in the sports fiction movies they portray that as a good thing all the time.
And these are kids 3-4 years younger then the pros, they are going to do dumb stuff.

Academics/not going to parties is something nice and internal to talk about within the team and the community to give a player respect off the court. It doesn't need to be anything more then that. We are here to watch them play basketball. I would have taken a vacated title with pleasure for someone smoking marjiuana and getting caught just after the season. When you win you win. Its not like we haven't watched some dirty crap basketball and wins over the years(just watch the first half of the 2003 Ok State game or the game at the rack or the 10 steals Hatten from st Johns had against us that season). If I am a Louisville fan right now I could care less.

All of a sudden there is this fake high class college student noble role model thing trending. I would trade it for a final four appearance with better players in a heartbeat. We have a choice to be old farts, or to be hypocritical old farts instead. We were all young once.

th

Last edited:

Then answer me this, how did they have to self report for not following it? Seems to me I remember they did not enforce a penalty, why have penalties that only serve to get you in trouble, that is stupid. I do not believe they can tell parents anything under the current federal guidelines, so I call BS on that one.
I admit I have no idea what LSU or any other may or may not have, but if they do, that is stupid too. But then again they would probably never self report, so the NCAA would never know.

Then answer me this, how did they have to self report for not following it? Seems to me I remember they did not enforce a penalty, why have penalties that only serve to get you in trouble, that is stupid. I do not believe they can tell parents anything under the current federal guidelines, so I call BS on that one.
I admit I have no idea what LSU or any other may or may not have, but if they do, that is stupid too. But then again they would probably never self report, so the NCAA would never know.

self reporting is like Gtown taking its inner city dc slum ball players over the years, and saying they were good enough to qualify academically. Only what you choose to share can hurt you.

SUbear said:
Then answer me this, how did they have to self report for not following it? Seems to me I remember they did not enforce a penalty, why have penalties that only serve to get you in trouble, that is stupid. I do not believe they can tell parents anything under the current federal guidelines, so I call BS on that one. I admit I have no idea what LSU or any other may or may not have, but if they do, that is stupid too. But then again they would probably never self report, so the NCAA would never know.

You can call BS all you want, but that was the policy. It was reported on several times.

As to self reporting, that's what you're supposed to do. It's part of following the rules you know? The whole goal of any schools policy is to minimize the chances a player would be caught during a random NCAA test and be suspended for a year. Not seeing why that's so hard to grasp. Not having any policy, no rules and no repercussions seems pretty risky to me in trying to avoid the severe NCAA punishment.

Says the guy with a avatar of Carmelo :p

Pro players, and D league players are not held to high academic and drug standards. Just ask Lamar Odom.
Heck half the nba is probably roided up while A-Rod is the devil (because he played for the yankees.)

Nobody cars about the D league, but there are alot of college basketball fans out there. We don't give a damn about academics and drugs. How often do we talk with a fan of another team about the academics and partying procedures of one of our college players. Its 13 players I can give a dam@ less about their academics and partying standards. I would take a guy who speaks 0 english if he can play. Heck, in the sports fiction movies they portray that as a good thing all the time.
And these are kids 3-4 years younger then the pros, they are going to do dumb stuff.

Academics/not going to parties is something nice and internal to talk about within the team and the community to give a player respect off the court. It doesn't need to be anything more then that. We are here to watch them play basketball. I would have taken a vacated title with pleasure for someone smoking marjiuana and getting caught just after the season. When you win you win. Its not like we haven't watched some dirty crap basketball and wins over the years(just watch the first half of the 2003 Ok State game or the game at the rack or the 10 steals Hatten from st Johns had against us that season). If I am a Louisville fan right now I could care less.

All of a sudden there is this fake high class college student noble role model thing trending. I would trade it for a final four appearance with better players in a heartbeat. We have a choice to be old farts, or to be hypocritical old farts instead. We were all young once.

th
Wow. That's bizarre, even by your standards. My head just exploded.

You can test positive for THC for up to a month...maybe longer.

I know the drug testing facts about weed all too well haha. As long as we're not talking about daily (or every other day) smokers, 2 weeks is generally a safe amount of time for the THC to leave your system. Occasional smokers could have it leave their system in just a few days.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cusethunder

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom