SU's football recruiting unlikely to match torrid pace from last June-July | Syracusefan.com

SU's football recruiting unlikely to match torrid pace from last June-July

Nolan says we will have room for only 18 recruits in the upcoming class. He comes off like a rookie in the recruiting game. More likely, we will have another group of ~22.

Why do you say that?

We know there are four open scholies (or three if you include Funderburk.) Add that to the following players leaving:

Alexander, Boatman, Cutler, Goggins, Nassib, Sales, Stevens, Vaughan, Chibane, Diet Tab, Lemon, Sharpe, Thomas, and Lichty.

Throw in Pugh if you want. That leaves anywhere from 17 to 19 openings. Hypothetically, Phillips and Loeb could also leave, which would maximize the number at 21.

But here's the thing- the staff has to be judicious this season with how many openings they fill. If any redshirt Jr. leaves early, it only cuts into next year's recruiting numbers. I estimate a maximum of 20 spots for the 2014 HS class.

I really don't see how this could be stretched to 22.

Why do you say that?

We know there are four open scholies (or three if you include Funderburk.) Add that to the following players leaving:

Alexander, Boatman, Cutler, Goggins, Nassib, Sales, Stevens, Vaughan, Chibane, Diet Tab, Lemon, Sharpe, Thomas, and Lichty.

Throw in Pugh if you want. That leaves anywhere from 17 to 19 openings. Hypothetically, Phillips and Loeb could also leave, which would maximize the number at 21.

But here's the thing- the staff has to be judicious this season with how many openings they fill. If any redshirt Jr. leaves early, it only cuts into next year's recruiting numbers. I estimate a maximum of 20 spots for the 2014 HS class.

I really don't see how this could be stretched to 22.
Fishes and loaves. The number remaining on the roster at the end of the season is rarely as large as predictions would have it.