SU's integration into the ACC | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

SU's integration into the ACC

This is the ACC. The benefit of the doubt almost always goes to UNC and Duke even though most years they don't
need it. Syracuse gives ACC hoops a shot in the arm but you are learning the culture. Hope Clemson can knock you
off now and then when you come to South Carolina.

for that atrocious flagrant-1 call.

I'm curious was that a non-call in your opinion then? And lets be clear here, looking at it live and not in slow-mo.

I'm curious was that a non-call in your opinion then? And lets be clear here, looking at it live and not in slow-mo.

I'm not cowtown, but I'll chime in from my perspective. I think it was a non-call. But I think it was a quick play with refs out of position who were trailing, and it looked like Gbinije got grabbed. With the benefit of slo-mo / replays, we could see that the Duke defender didn't grab Mike, and that Gbinije made a slick basketball move to get inside that last defender to clear a path to the basket.

Should have been a no call, but the ref saw the defender reach from behind the play, anticipating the foul, and then after the whistle was blown they assessed that Gbinije off the steal had a clear path, and felt compelled to rule it a flagrant one.

I didn't think the official was out of position at all. It was the back official who was right there. The kid reached out not once but twice to grab at G and slow him down. Minimal contact can only be seen in slow motion. Live it looked like he full on grabbed the hip and that's an intentional foul - as he was trailing. You either dont' call it or it's an intentional but tough to let go when it looked like obvious grabbing.

Atrocious to me is CJ getting knocked down and them calling a travel on him.

As I think about it this morning, I'm wondering about certain things. I know a little about how ref's think. I wonder whether the Parker/Gbinije call was a makeup, even subconsciously, for that atrocious flagrant-1 call. And the Fair/Hood situation is precisely why it's bad business to play "make-up." For if you make a bad call, you just have to live with it, and more importantly, not let it lead to two bad calls.

I thought there was a make up call for the intentional about four minutes of game time later in a very soft touch foul called on Christmas at the 7:58 minute mark. Without a clear path to the basket rule like the NBA, it wouldn't have been a shooting foul without calling it intentional... But that was overkill. I was alright with the makeup call a few minutes later, but the horribly blown calls later on were even more blatant than the calls that GAVE Michigan the game last season in the Final Four. Two years, four horribly blown charge/block calls, all went against Cuse to cost us the two games.

Hopefully this means we got our screw job out of the way this year, instead of having to wait for the Big Dance.

IMHO, I would like to have it handled as a no-call. Whistling a foul within a nanosecond of the contact doesn't make it a better call. In fact it just makes it worse. I think he could have held his whistle for another count, to be able to see disadvantage, for if he had he would have seen there wasn't any real disadvantage. And if he still thought he did see it, he could still make the same call a second later. But it's easy for me to say sitting here behind a computer.

At clinics we're always told, "Anticipate the play, don't anticipate the foul," and I think the guy just got caught doing the latter. But heck, none of us is perfect.

I keep thinking of the "play through contact" montage during the second half featuring Parker. How ironic was that even before the charge call against Fair?

During one segment Jay Bilas talks about playing through contact when I saw no contact with Parker at all. In another segment Bilas talks about Parker playing through contact as Parker initiates the contact with the SU defender and then runs over that defender.

On top of that the expression "playing through contact" is a coaching point of emphasis. Jay Bilas has no coaching experience, but he was a player for Coach K. And then of course at the end of the game Fair avoids most of the contact as the Duke player shuffles his feet and is leaning forward. Fair makes a terrific play avoiding contact against a late arriving defender, and we all know what happened after that. The levels of irony would make Harold Ramis smile, may he rest in peace! No film has ever made me laugh more than Groundhog Day.

Last edited:
I keep thinking of the "play through contact" montage during the second half featuring Parker. How ironic was that even before the charge call against Fair?

During one segment Jay Bilas talks about playing through contact when I saw no contact with Parker at all. In another segment Bilas talks about Parker playing through contact as Parker initiates the contact with the SU defender and then runs over an SU defender.

On top of that the expression "playing through contact" is a coaching point of emphasis. Jay Bilas has no coaching experience, but he was a player for Coach K. And then of course at the end of the game Fair avoids most of the contact as the Duke player shuffles his feet and is leaning forward. Fair makes a terrific play avoiding contact against a late arriving defender, and we all know what happened after that. The levels of irony would make Harold Ramis smile, may he rest in peace! No film has ever made me laugh more than Groundhog Day.

Bilas was an assistant coach at Duke from 90 to 92. Single-handedly taught Laettner how to win two NCAAs. (Or so he'd tell you, I'm sure...)

-jk

I'm sure Bilas was a superb assistant coach. He's a great analyst, and probably a fine lawyer. And no doubt he loves Duke basketball and the ACC.

Last edited:
I'm sure Bilas was a superb assistant coach. He's a great analyst, and probably a fine lawyer. And no doubt he loves Duke basketball and the ACC.

If you read the Duke boards, they all think Bilas bends over backwards to dis Duke - in the name of "impartiality", of course. I do know he loves Duke, even if it doesn't always sound like it. On the other hand, Kenny Smith was calling a Duke unc game once: after unc won, Kenny chanted "We won!" a few times. Impartiality be damned. Damn heels.

Nice win, though. That's UConn, Pitt, Duke, and Cuse by a total of less than 10 points for MD.

-jk

Bilas is a critical thinker, so naturally he points out Duke's flaws when they struggle. Sort of the same way some posters on this board break down a poor SU performance. But make no mistake most of the critical posters on this board bleed orange, and Bilas is a Duke believer through and through. He also loves the ACC. Bilas is less partial than Billy Packer was to the ACC, but lately he seems to be moving more and more in that direction. Kenny Smith does great work with Ernie, Shaq, and Charles Barkley on TNT.