SU's Shooting Guard | Syracusefan.com

SU's Shooting Guard

Col. Bleep

All American
Trevor Cooney's struggles had us longing for GMAC or Andy Rautins.
But they didn't have great shooting percentages.

I was surprised when I looked back at our 2-guard shooting.
There's been a dramatic decline over time in shooting percentage.
The reason could be taking longer shots with the advent of the 3-pointer, better defense...maybe more..who knows for sure.
But the percentages of top shooters are pretty interesting.

Going back 44 seasons (of course, 44) some of the big names:

* = pre 3-pointer

*Marty Headd - 53.8% (53.8%!!)
* Jimmy Lee - 48.3%
*Greg Monroe - 47.3% (3-pointer in his last year and he shot 43.9% from 3)
*Hal Cohen - 47%
*Greg Kohls - 44.4%
Eric Devendorf - 43.6%/37.8%
Marius Janulis - 41.4%/39.9% from 3
Andy Rautins - 39.6/37.4
GMac - 37.5%/35.4%

(Devendorf probably drove to the hoop more than the others)

Trevor Cooney's struggles had us longing for GMAC or Andy Rautins.
But they didn't have great shooting percentages.

I was surprised when I looked back at our 2-guard shooting.
There's been a dramatic decline over time in shooting percentage.
The reason could be taking longer shots with the advent of the 3-pointer, better defense...maybe more..who knows for sure.
But the percentages of top shooters are pretty interesting.

Going back 44 seasons (of course, 44) some of the big names:

* = pre 3-pointer

*Marty Headd - 53.8% (53.8%!!)
* Jimmy Lee - 48.3%
*Greg Monroe - 47.3% (3-pointer in his last year and he shot 43.9% from 3)
*Hal Cohen - 47%
*Greg Kohls - 44.4%
Eric Devendorf - 43.6%/37.8%
Marius Janulis - 41.4%/39.9% from 3
Andy Rautins - 39.6/37.4
GMac - 37.5%/35.4%

(Devendorf probably drove to the hoop more than the others)
Not that it matters but Gmac played the point 99% of the time.

I know you're talking about all shots, not just 3-pointers but just to as a reference:

The 3point line was officially added nationally in 1986 and set to 19' 9".
It was moved back out in 2008 to 20' 9".

This probably sounds a little crazy but it seems like in olden days, shooters hit more mid-range jumpers and didn't care about being in an exact spot.
With the 3 point rule, guys are camped out at the arc, focusing on their toes and hitting a specific shot.

Gerry was one of the most overrated shooters I've seen. He was streaky and developed a bit of poor shot selection by the time he graduated. It lead to poor shooting games.

The problem Cooney has had is consistency. He's either been really good, or disturbingly bad. I feel like Rautins/Devo/even Gerry all were more consistent in their shooting numbers, not having too many awful games.

you look at shooters and few kids have to work as hard to get shots as gmac and cooney did.. they took way to many shots off hard cuts to ever have great numbers.

Gerry was one of the most overrated shooters I've seen. He was streaky and developed a bit of poor shot selection by the time he graduated. It lead to poor shooting games.

The problem Cooney has had is consistency. He's either been really good, or disturbingly bad. I feel like Rautins/Devo/even Gerry all were more consistent in their shooting numbers, not having too many awful games.
Rautins had some awful games his first few years. Maybe not so many 0'fers as Cooney.

Gmac.jpg

Rautins had some awful games his first few years. Maybe not so many 0'fers as Cooney.
Rautins was not relied on nearly as much as Cooney was this early on.

Rautins sophomore year:
Games: 35
Games started: 20
21 MPG
7.2 PPG
37% FG
36% 3PT
71% FT
2 RPG 2 APG 1 SPG

Cooney sophomore year:
32 MPG
12.4 PPG
41% FG
38% 3PT
84% FT
2 RPG 1 APG 2 SPG

Obviously Cooney was cold for 2 months, but if you look at the numbers as a whole, Cooney was more efficient than Rautins as a sophomore

Cooney's inconsistent at best. He's gilded due to our sporadic inconsistent offense.

He doesn't play nearly to his potential and it's frustrating to watch.

even stevie t. shot 30% deep. and he was one of the BEST syracuse defenders in the jb era. (dunked a bit also)

Rautins > Cooney. Now and over next two years.

I'm JD and SU all the way but you have no idea! No-one does for sure, but I actually think Cooney has more upside due to his speed. And the facts are the facts so the now is wrong already.

longislandcuse said:
Devo is one of our most underrated players ever.

I'm still shocked he didn't get a shot in the NBA, I think his perceived or actual bad attitude hurt him. I didn't know him so I can't tell what he was like.

I think GMAC, Devo and Rautins had other outside threats on their teams which took away a lot of the face guarding Trevor gets. If you put one more threat out there with Trevor and I think he gets more open looks.

Even JB said in his news conference what I've been saying , Trevor right now is just a shooter, and he's too good an athlete, to be just a shooter. JB said he needs to develop the other aspects of his game.

I'm still shocked he didn't get a shot in the NBA, I think his perceived or actual bad attitude hurt him. I didn't know him so I can't tell what he was like.

Devo was bad news for the program let's just put it that way.

Who would he possibly guard?

anomander said:
Devo was bad news for the program let's just put it that way.

Why? Because of allegations? His rap sheet is more overrated than him being underrated on the court. And he's severely underrated.

Why? Because of allegations? His rap sheet is more overrated than him being underrated on the court. And he's severely underrated.

You have no idea, and one day it may come back to bite us. There is a reason he wasn't allowed to come back for his Senior season. I will end it at that.

anomander said:
You have no idea, and one day it may come back to bite us. There is a reason he wasn't allowed to come back for his Senior season. I will end it at that.

So hearsay and rumors. I'm not saying know everything but I find it hard to believe that something so big would stay such a hush hush secret or if there was a bite to bite us it would have.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom