SVP about to talk about JB | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

SVP about to talk about JB

From What I read on sports news = Brad Stevens is are future Head Coach . JB just loves this young coach . Hop ?

Sounds good to me, except for this one pesky detail:

Butler coach Brad Stevens signs new 12-year contract

Posted by Inside Hoops
Apr 9
David Woods of the Indianapolis Star reports:
Stevens, 33, who took Butler on a surprising run to the NCAA championship game, was awarded a new 12-year contract by the university Thursday.
Terms of the contract, which extends through the 2021-22 seasons, were not divulged.

Read more: http://www.insidehoops.com/blog/?p=5704#ixzz2GyORlkxM

it's not necessarily about getting the offensive board . . . conceding the rebound allowed Indiana to set up their offense unimpeded. I think it was a panic move and one of the few mistakes in JB's career.

Denny Crum did the same thing the year before:

Ellison, like Coleman, was a freshman. He'd hit 68.2% of his free throws that year. Coleman had hit 68.6% of his free throws the next year. Ellison made his free throws and Crum was a genius. Coleman missed and Boeheim was not.

By the way JB is 5-2 all time against the other 900 win coaches.

I do a lot of defending media/ESPN on this board but if I have a major pet peeve with the worldwide leader it's this -- they take a story that is really pretty amazing in and of itself and find some way to turn it into a completely arbitrary sports talk radio-style argument.

JB has won 903 games ... at the highest level in the best league ... in one spot ... at a school in the absolute middle of nowhere. That's the whole story.

I understand your point but you are guilty of "empty talking points" yourself here. Syracuse is in the middle of nowhere. True, but what does that have to do with anything? The only elite level college bball program not in the middle of nowhere is UCLA. The bad weather angle doesn't compute much either. We know that weather-wise, the situation is not wonderful in Lawrence, KS (for example) in the wintertime.

Sounds good to me, except for this one pesky detail:

Butler coach Brad Stevens signs new 12-year contract

Posted by Inside Hoops
Apr 9
David Woods of the Indianapolis Star reports:
Stevens, 33, who took Butler on a surprising run to the NCAA championship game, was awarded a new 12-year contract by the university Thursday.
Terms of the contract, which extends through the 2021-22 seasons, were not divulged.

Read more: [URL='http://www.insidehoops.com/blog/?p=5704#ixzz2GyORlkxM[/quote]Smart']http://www.insidehoops.com/blog/?p=5704#ixzz2GyORlkxM[/URL]
Smart move by Butler . That guy can flat out coach .

I understand your point but you are guilty of "empty talking points" yourself here. Syracuse is in the middle of nowhere. True, but what does that have to do with anything? The only elite level college bball program not in the middle of nowhere is UCLA. The bad weather angle doesn't compute much either. We know that weather-wise, the situation is not wonderful in Lawrence, KS (for example) in the wintertime.

I guess my point was more that the program he built in the middle of nowhere (not debateable -- other places may also be the middle of nowhere, but upstate NY is clearly in the middle of nowhere) at a smallish private school is pretty remarkable, no? There's nothing empty or debatable about that, right? A private school in snow country in waaaayyyy upstate NY has basically resided in the top 25 for the last several decades. Pretty nice accomplishment.

Denny Crum did the same thing the year before:

Ellison, like Coleman, was a freshman. He'd hit 68.2% of his free throws that year. Coleman had hit 68.6% of his free throws the next year. Ellison made his free throws and Crum was a genius. Coleman missed and Boeheim was not.

By the way JB is 5-2 all time against the other 900 win coaches.
Kind of interesting that both losses were in the tournament.

I know it is easier to do these days, than it used to be, but he is No.3 in 25+ win seasons. Smith with 22, K with 21, then JB with 19.
Williams is at 18, then there is a big drop off after that with Calhoun & Sutton tied at 14.

Kind of interesting that both losses were in the tournament.

Both teams wanted to win all the games. Duke was clearly a better team in '98. Indiana '87 has been discussed at length.

I don't think it was a blunder at all. Smart had got a fast break off of triches missed free throw just a bit earlier when we did have people at the line.
that has always been JB's excuse, but to me that means it was a panic move reaction . . . conceding the rebound was something he hadn't done all year, but he over-reacted to that one incident and allowed Indiana to set up its final play unmolested

I know it is easier to do these days, than it used to be, but he is No.3 in 25+ win seasons. Smith with 22, K with 21, then JB with 19.
Williams is at 18, then there is a big drop off after that with Calhoun & Sutton tied at 14.
how does he rank in 30 win seasons? I suspect there is a big drop off there, as 30 win years usually require deep post season runs

that has always been JB's excuse, but to me that means it was a panic move reaction . . . conceding the rebound was something he hadn't done all year, but he over-reacted to that one incident and allowed Indiana to set up its final play unmolested
Moqui, on that final pocession, Alvord didn't touch the ball. They forced I.U. to take a forced off balanced shot by someone that Syracuse wanted to take the shot. He made it. Good for him. there was nothing wrong with syracuse also setting up their defense. I might also add that JB went box and 1 in the game. I had never seen jb do that before. Or since. Worked a bit too. Was that a panic move?

how does he rank in 30 win seasons? I suspect there is a big drop off there, as 30 win years usually require deep post season runs
Not a complete list.
Dean Smith 3 Denny Crum 3
Eddie sutton 1 just for fun
Bob Knight 4 Jaime dixon 2
Bill Self 6 Billy Donovan 2
Coach K 12 John Calipari 8
Jim Calhoun 7
Tom Izzo 3
Rick pitino 4
John Thompson 3
Jim Boeheim 5

I do think that a 20 win season is sort of meaningless at a top level program. 30 is the new 20. Maybe 25 is the new 20.

I do think that a 20 win season is sort of meaningless at a top level program. 30 is the new 20. Maybe 25 is the new 20.

I'd say 25 is probably the new 20. 30 is still a ton of wins. I count 9 teams that won 30 games last year. 54 who won 25 games or more.

Dasher,

You may have some old data. I got:

K - 12
Williams - 10
Calhoun & Calipari - 8
Pitino & Self - 6
JB - 5
Knight & Rupp - 4
a bunch at 3.

I think 25 is the new 20, myself. There is definitely a difference when you look at some of the past greats. They are hurt by the fewer games played in that day.

Aside from Knight & Rupp, 30 win seasons by the top coaches didn't start happening till the 80's.

Dasher,

You may have some old data. I got:

K - 12
Williams - 10
Calhoun & Calipari - 8
Pitino & Self - 6
JB - 5
Knight & Rupp - 4
a bunch at 3.

I think 25 is the new 20, myself. There is definitely a difference when you look at some of the past greats. They are hurt by the fewer games played in that day.
LOL I think we are both off on slick rick...30 win seasons in '93, '96, '97, '09, '12

LOL I think we are both off on slick rick...30 win seasons in '93, '96, '97, '09, '12

you're missing Louisville '05, when the made the final four.

Aside from Knight & Rupp, 30 win seasons by the top coaches didn't start happening till the 80's.

Wooden had at least 4 of them, all undefeated 30-0 seasons IIRC.

geez. how did i miss Wooden!

Wooden had 12 25+ seasons and 4 30+ seasons.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CB277777

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom