Swofford ... He Gone after 2020-21 | Syracusefan.com

Swofford ... He Gone after 2020-21

I think Wildhack will be considered for the post. He checks almost every box, well other than allegiance to Tobacco Road.
Agree he would be a great hire for the ACC. I think John sees how much he is needed at Syracuse though and will elect to stay and finish the job of rebuilding the athletic department at SU.

Agree he would be a great hire for the ACC. I think John sees how much he is needed at Syracuse though and will elect to stay and finish the job of rebuilding the athletic department at SU.
Hopefully there will be a few Septentrional candidates ... tired of the tobacco road dominance in conference leadership.

Septentrional. I like that.

Swofford botched ACC expansion (in several ways). Swofford botched ACC TV negotiations (in several ways).

Those were really his only two important tasks.

Seemed like a nice guy but I would have to say he was not an effective commissioner. I hope he has a good retirement.

Swofford botched ACC expansion (in several ways). Swofford botched ACC TV negotiations (in several ways).

Seemed like a nice guy but I would have to say he was not an effective commissioner. I hope he has a good retirement.

He did a pretty great job of holding the conference together after Maryland. I'm not sure it's fair to blame him for that first round of expansion being mucked up by internal Virginia politics.

Wildhack as ACC commissioner is a plus for Syracuse.
Just like Swofford has always had UNC’s back.
I doubt he will get the job because of politics but if he could he should take it.
Syracuse can find another AD.

He did a pretty great job of holding the conference together after Maryland. I'm not sure it's fair to blame him for that first round of expansion being mucked up by internal Virginia politics.
I disagree completely. You don't formally invite schools to join the conference unless you know they are going to be voted in. That is all on him. This was an unforgivable gaffe and I think he would admit it himself. I know he made statements afterwards

The many terrible decisions that were made with TV contracts lay at his feet.

He had a chance to sew up ownership of the Northeast and botched it.

He couldn't get a GOR in place to lock in the membership and ensure no one bolted either.

Good guy. Awful commissioner.

He didn’t botch expansion.
UNC and Duke were no votes for a conference more than 10 teams.
They supported adding Miami.
They cared about the round robin basketball.
Swofford couldn’t force Duke and UNC presidents to change their positions.

That gave all the leverage to whatever of the remaining 7 ACC schools wanted to get any expansion beyond 10 teams.

That isn’t Swofford’s fault that VA governor Warner threatened UVA to take to care of VPI.

Swofford didn’t mess that expansion it was more Syracuse got screwed by Marc Warner and then when the 12th spot was between Syracuse and Boston College our AD Jake Crouthamel didn’t want to play two faced to the Big East like BC Fr. Leahy did and play hardball.

Our administration went back to the Big East and pledged unity instead of being two faced. If Cantor and Gross were in charge in 2003 instead of Shaw and Crouthamel they would have fought BC hard for that 12th spot.

It was our own doing.

I disagree completely. You don't formally invite schools to join the conference unless you know they are going to be voted in. That is all on him. This was an unforgivable gaffe and I think he would admit it himself. I know he made statements afterwards

The many terrible decisions that were made with TV contracts lay at his feet.

He had a chance to sew up ownership of the Northeast and botched it.

He couldn't get a GOR in place to lock in the membership and ensure no one bolted either.

Good guy. Awful commissioner.
Maryland left because their AD Debbie Yow bankrupted their AD and they were going to have to cut a lot of varsity sports. Maryland can’t put student activities fees in their cost to attend their university. That is how a lot of public schools see Rutgers fill the holes of their athletic department.

So Maryland needed a lot of money. They got offered a chitload of money from the Big Ten to jump ship. Their fanbase was split on leaving the ACC they sold their souls for money.

If their AD wasn’t in the hole they don’t jump to the Big Ten. That isn’t Swofford’s fault. It’s Debbie Yow’s
And the Maryland AD’s fault for spending a lot of money on expanding Byrd Stadium and taking on debt without having the funds raised.

The Big Ten money has saved Maryland AD.

Swofford’s biggest problem is he hasn’t pushed the schools to invest in football as much as basketball. The ACC has Clemson and Florida State.

They thought they were getting another elite school in Miami.
ACC needs Miami, Louisville, Georgia Tech, Virginia Tech,Syracuse, Boston College to reach their potentials in football.

The Big Ten saw what the ACC was planning and they added Rutgers and Maryland to satisfy Penn State.

If the ACC kept Maryland and their AD wasn’t in such bad shape then Penn State jumping to the ACC could have potentially happened.

Penn State fanbase was super pissed and is still super pissed off at the Big Ten office for how they perceive the conference bias towards Ohio State and Michigan. They were poachable.

Swofford had a plan for Penn State and Notre Dame as 15 and 16.

The Big Ten got ahead of it. It won’t happen now.

I wish I could spend the time and write a book on college expansion from the 2000s.

He didn’t botch expansion.
UNC and Duke were no votes for a conference more than 10 teams.
They supported adding Miami.
They cared about the round robin basketball.
Swofford couldn’t force Duke and UNC presidents to change their positions.

That gave all the leverage to whatever of the remaining 7 ACC schools wanted to get any expansion beyond 10 teams.

That isn’t Swofford’s fault that VA governor Warner threatened UVA to take to care of VPI.

Swofford didn’t mess that expansion it was more Syracuse got screwed by Marc Warner and then when the 12th spot was between Syracuse and Boston College our AD Jake Crouthamel didn’t want to play two faced to the Big East like BC Fr. Leahy did and play hardball.

Our administration went back to the Big East and pledged unity instead of being two faced. If Cantor and Gross were in charge in 2003 instead of Shaw and Crouthamel they would have fought BC hard for that 12th spot.

It was our own doing.
You don't publicly invite a school to your conference when you don't have the votes to make it happen.

That is the definition of botch. The job of the commissioner is to do the backroom politics, get temperatures, line up votes, and then execute.
He failed. Much like your post failed.

You are confused. Duke wanted the ACC to add 2 more schools, in addition to SU and Pitt. Please read the link to the article from the Baltimore Sun I just provided.

The ACC had the chance to lock up the east and keep the B1G stuck with an isolated Penn State. They didn't. The B1G took advantage of Swofford's incompetence.

This says nothing about his ability to negotiate media contracts, which was also awful.

He wasn't completely incompetent. He managed to get Miami, BC, SU and Pitt in and getting UL to replace UMd was a decent recovery from an awful mistake. His hair was always well combed and clean.

Not all the blame lies at his feet. The ACC presidents (and maybe ADs) had some blame too. But a commissioner's job is to lead and to convince his schools to follow. He wasn't good at this.

He has a network, and got it in the age of cord-cutting. Moved the ACC tournament around to major markets, expanded into the northeast, finally. Has a conference where privates can compete with publics across the board, and is sitting on a lot of trophies. I hated more than anyone what happened in 2003 but anyone would've gotten rolled there when Warner played his Hokie card.

He has a network, and got it in the age of cord-cutting. Moved the ACC tournament around to major markets, expanded into the northeast, finally. Has a conference where privates can compete with publics across the board, and is sitting on a lot of trophies. I hated more than anyone what happened in 2003 but anyone would've gotten rolled there when Warner played his Hokie card.
Not everything was botched, and (while TomC can speak for himself) I didn't see his post as claiming that. That's clear from the article he cited. However, not only were many strategies were not well thought out, Tom didn't even mention Raycom - which was a disaster. It brought nothing to the table for fans except an expensive intermediary that thumbed its nose at Northern ACC markets. Raycom had a habit of selling media rights to carriers without any obligation to broadcast - which should have been prohibited by the league (e.g, MSG+). The only reason I can see for its involvement was to enrich Wofford's son. So overall ... happy to see him go.

Last edited:
You don't publicly invite a school to your conference when you don't have the votes to make it happen.

That is the definition of botch. The job of the commissioner is to do the backroom politics, get temperatures, line up votes, and then execute.
He failed. Much like your post failed.

You are confused. Duke wanted the ACC to add 2 more schools, in addition to SU and Pitt. Please read the link to the article from the Baltimore Sun I just provided.

The ACC had the chance to lock up the east and keep the B1G stuck with an isolated Penn State. They didn't. The B1G took advantage of Swofford's incompetence.

This says nothing about his ability to negotiate media contracts, which was also awful.

He wasn't completely incompetent. He managed to get Miami, BC, SU and Pitt in and getting UL to replace UMd was a decent recovery from an awful mistake. His hair was always well combed and clean.

Not all the blame lies at his feet. The ACC presidents (and maybe ADs) had some blame too. But a commissioner's job is to lead and to convince his schools to follow. He wasn't good at this.

Duke didn't want 16 schools in 2003. Adding RU and UConn when we came was objectionable to, well us.

Not everything was botched, and (while TomC can speak for himself) I didn't see his post as claiming that. That's clear from the article he cited. But he didn't even mention Raycom which was a disaster ... a disservice to the ACC, miserable for fans but lucre for Wofford's son. So overall ... happy to see him go.

Raycom was awful, but you sorta knew that going in.

Duke didn't want 16 schools in 2003. Adding RU and UConn when we came was objectionable to, well us.
Tb
This is the point.
Duke and UNC didn’t want to lose the double round robin in basketball.
They said okay add Miami for football.
We are good with that. We are no votes for anymore expansion.

Swofford said okay fine I will just get the other 7 to approve it. That gave Warner the leverage to force UVA’s hand for VPI.
That isn’t Swofford’s fault that Warner came in the last minute and destroyed his plan.
The conference didn’t even add a 12th team because the conference had no idea what Warner was doing with VPI.

The Baltimore Sun article is laughable to cite.

It’s AFTER THE ACC added Pitt and Syracuse.
This is after the double robin was gone from ACC basketball. Duke and UNC wanted that kept as they prioritize basketball to football.
Once UVA gave Swofford the 7th vote to add Miami as long as they added Virginia Tech the double round robin was gone.

Duke and North Carolina are why Syracuse got screwed in 2003 because they gave all the leverage to Warner’s plan. That isn’t Swofford’s fault.

Tomcat saying he botched TV negotiations. The problem he did was he signed a long term agreement. If Swofford didn’t sign a 15 year deal then his contract was fine and that botch is the main reason he got the 12 ACC schools to expand with Syracuse and Pitt in 2011.

Nobody saw cable rights deals exploding like they have. That money is why all this expansion has taken place. Swofford has made some mistakes but he has done a good job outside of the nepotism with Raycom.

The ACC wasn’t going to expand to 16 without those schools moving the needle. See a Penn State or Notre Dame.
Hell as we saw UConn was a no go for Florida State and Clemson. They didn’t want another northeast basketball first school that is why Louisville was chosen over UConn when Maryland left.

The ACC was going to approach Penn State. The Big Ten wasn’t stupid and that is why they sprung for Maryland and Rutgers. They got cable boxes and gave Penn State some northeast additions and prevented the ACC from locking up the northeast to southeast.

Maryland left the ACC because they needed a lot of money because their AD was in the deep red. If Duke wanted more expansion then their 2003 position was wrong. Duke screwed the original expansion up.

Funny thing is Virginia Tech probably is in the SEC if Warner doesn’t do what he did.
When the SEC added Texas A&M they needed a 14th team. They didn’t want West Virginia but they would likely have taken Virginia Tech over Missouri. Missouri is completely in the wrong division in the SEC East but they agreed to do that just to get a seat at the table and out of the Big 12.

Virginia Tech would have been ideal for the SEC new state, rivalry with Tennessee, but the Hokies will never leave the ACC because of what Warner and UVA did for them.

Last edited:
Anyone who thinks the new Commissioner will be from above the M-D line is kidding themselves, IMO.
There's a better chance JB gets elected mayor of Greensboro than a Yankee becoming ACC commish.

Boo Corrigan. Checks all the (ACC's) boxes. If not him, I'd assume any of the three Deputy Commissioners. They've been on the front lines of the major changes over the last few years.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RedSoxNat

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom