Swofford Interview fromESPN-Louisville: Glimmer of ACCNetwork and NYC | Syracusefan.com

Swofford Interview fromESPN-Louisville: Glimmer of ACCNetwork and NYC

arbitragegls

All Conference
It has really been quiet recently insofar as info coming out of the ACC and what is taking place. Several articles and twitter have recently brought up the ACCNetwork and what is taking place generally insofar as bball tournament...well, it is beginning to become clearer. Whispers have continued to indicate that much of what we want is moving forward...but no real substantiation of that feeling. In this interview with Swofford (start just past 79 minute mark) several points come up (note what I do not want to go out on the limb to far...but rather provide info that is vetted and good--Swofford speaking is both vetted and good--and although nothing earth shattering the interview below does solidify what we have come to expect)
1. ACCNetwork is continuing to be discussed...and as Swofford has indicated, the SEC launch of its network will be a basis for the final decision--I am led to believe that 2016-2017 will be an actual launch of the network...so hold tight;
2. NYC, well Brooklyn at any rate, is going to be a continued site for bball tournament in a rotation. Expect that the bball tournament will be in NYC (either Brooklyn or NYC) minimally every 2 of 5 years or more...this is being finalized by the ACC as this is written:

http://stationcaster.com/player_skinned.php?s=301&c=2071&f=2720443
(if doesn't work place in browser)

Additionally, the Maryland law suit is moving forward...and I would not be surprised with something percolating to discussion in a reasonable time frame...and it should be all good.

It's Good to be 'Cuse!! The Order of the 'Cuse Orange..

My understanding is if no ACC Network each school gets an extra $2m each year. Is that correct?

As far as NYC goes...I imagine the ACC/B1G/A10 and Big East all will share MSG and Brooklyn

My understanding is if no ACC Network each school gets an extra $2m each year. Is that correct?

As far as NYC goes...I imagine the ACC/B1G/A10 and Big East all will share MSG and Brooklyn
This is correct...actually heard it may be a bit more...but the analysis would have to come back poorly not to do as ESPN is looking at $48,000,000+/yr contract not to do this...it is WHEN NOT IF...

It is Good to Be 'Cuse!! The Order of the 'Cuse Orange..

Once the ACC buys back the rights that Fox Sports and Raycom subleased from ESPN on the ACC's request the ACC Network will be able to be formed. It took the SEC about 3 years to buy back the 3rd tier rights for 14 schools now the ACC's situation is different because it isn't 14 schools they are buying back from, but a competitor network in Fox. I think Fox will need fair compensation and ESPN is going to make the ACC pay it if its them to handle the Network negotiations stuff, but it will happen. Fox and Raycom will realize that is better to get paid off then waiting the sub-lease out as eventually it will run out and if they can get paid they will do it.

ACC Network I believe has greater potential than a SEC Network because the SEC's programming after football will really be subpar outside of baseball. The ACC will have brands in Basketball, Lacrosse, Baseball to go with Football which can improve.

This is correct...actually heard it may be a bit more...but the analysis would have to come back poorly not to do as ESPN is looking at $48,000,000+/yr contract not to do this...it is WHEN NOT IF...

It is Good to Be 'Cuse!! The Order of the 'Cuse Orange..

Arb, is that 48 mil a year split between the 15 ACC schools evenly, on top of the 17 mil each brings home now?

Arb, is that 48 mil a year split between the 15 ACC schools evenly, on top of the 17 mil each brings home now?
yes...but ND is not in equation at this point...note also that the $17 is more toward $20++million/ea for next year

SU and Newhouse hopefully are working with the ACC/ESPN to set up a satellite production studio in Syracuse. So much talent and plenty of internships located in CNY. SU should be raising money and building a facility for the ACC and Newhouse. I would donate some money to it.

SU and Newhouse hopefully are working with the ACC/ESPN to set up a satellite production studio in Syracuse. So much talent and plenty of internships located in CNY. SU should be raising money and building a facility for the ACC and Newhouse. I would donate some money to it.

I truly hope this is happening too Mark. I would donate as well! So many Newhouse alums in Bristol, including some truly big timers.

Once the ACC buys back the rights that Fox Sports and Raycom subleased from ESPN on the ACC's request the ACC Network will be able to be formed. It took the SEC about 3 years to buy back the 3rd tier rights for 14 schools now the ACC's situation is different because it isn't 14 schools they are buying back from, but a competitor network in Fox. I think Fox will need fair compensation and ESPN is going to make the ACC pay it if its them to handle the Network negotiations stuff, but it will happen. Fox and Raycom will realize that is better to get paid off then waiting the sub-lease out as eventually it will run out and if they can get paid they will do it.

ACC Network I believe has greater potential than a SEC Network because the SEC's programming after football will really be subpar outside of baseball. The ACC will have brands in Basketball, Lacrosse, Baseball to go with Football which can improve.

The longer this goes, the less the ACC will have to pay to buy back inventory because the Raycom and Fox subcontract is for a finite amount of games, and they will have already televised much of what they have contracted for.

In addition to the sports you listed, the ACC is the best at college soccer in both men's and women's. I don't know how much a network would be interested, but the league is very good at Swimming, Track & Field, Tennis, Golf, Wrestling, Women's crew, and Softball. Giving the athletes that compete in these sports a chance to be on television can only help with recruiting. It can give the network some additional filler content too.

One other thought I had was about the ACC negotiating something with Hockey East to show Boston College and Notre Dame games on the network too. But that's down the road. The ACC needs a network first.

The longer this goes, the less the ACC will have to pay to buy back inventory because the Raycom and Fox subcontract is for a finite amount of games, and they will have already televised much of what they have contracted for.

In addition to the sports you listed, the ACC is the best at college soccer in both men's and women's. I don't know how much a network would be interested, but the league is very good at Swimming, Track & Field, Tennis, Golf, Wrestling, Women's crew, and Softball. Giving the athletes that compete in these sports a chance to be on television can only help with recruiting. It can give the network some additional filler content too.

One other thought I had was about the ACC negotiating something with Hockey East to show Boston College and Notre Dame games on the network too. But that's down the road. The ACC needs a network first.
I think Swofford is a great commissioner. That said, what is the general feeling about the wisdom of having gone into the Raycom deal? I know his son works there.

I think Swofford is a great commissioner. That said, what is the general feeling about the wisdom of having gone into the Raycom deal? I know his son works there.

Raycom and the ACC are incestuous. It is much deeper than John Swofford's son. Raycom Sports has been producing ACC basketball games since 1979, and Raycom partnered with Jefferson Pilot Communications, who owned television stations all over the southeast to show the basketball games. Eventually football games were produced as well. Raycom created a syndication of ACC football and basketball and signed up local TV stations all over the footprint and the country. Then they signed up many of the local cable sports networks like Comcast Sports Net.

Ken Haines, who runs Raycom Sports, is a big wheel in the Charlotte Sports scene. He created the Charlotte Bowl Game, he sponsored ACC Men's basketball tournaments in Charlotte, he took over the Charlotte running of the ACC football championship. He's been a huge ACC sponsor in the region, and it is tough to tell someone like that you have loved them for decades, but you don't love them anymore. So I honestly believe that when the ACC cable network is announced Ken Haines of Raycom will play a role in it somehow. I think John Swofford's son is a sideshow for people to complain about Raycom. Raycom has no intention of holding the ACC hostage.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom