Swofford... | Syracusefan.com

Swofford...

I think the final question and answer are the most revealing.
What about the possibility of an ACC TV network? Where do those talks stand right now?

JS: We’re having that conversation. We’re looking at it in a very strategic way to see if it is feasible and is the best route for us to go moving forward. We’re all in with ESPN in our contractual agreements. We’re having discussions on those moving forward with Notre Dame as a part of that, and then Louisville becoming a member of the league. We’re looking at the current structure, as well as the possibility of a channel. And those discussions all involve ESPN. The good news is that in terms of distribution, when you’re with ESPN and their commitment to the new technology that’s there and the ability to show content anywhere, anytime, anyplace, basically, as we look forward from a distribution standpoint, we’re in great shape. From a financial standpoint, we’re by far better off than we’ve ever been before as a league -- quite competitive, generally speaking, with other leagues at our level. We’re analyzing that with the help of Wasserman and ESPN. That will take a period of time to thoroughly evaluate and see what the possibilities are and if it’s in our best interest to go that route or not.
I think that demonstrates a lot about the stability and future of the conference. Notre Dame ;)

Notice Swofford's comment on being all in with ESPN...for good or bad that is where the ACC bed is made. I will not break confidence at this time, but will say:
1. Renegotiation on contract is moving forward and may take a bit more time because a network or channel discussion is moving down the line
--note this " We’re having discussions on those moving forward with Notre Dame as a part of that, and then Louisville becoming a member of the league. We’re looking at the current structure, as well as the possibility of a channel. And those discussions all involve ESPN. The good news is that in terms of distribution, when you’re with ESPN and their commitment to the new technology that’s there and the ability to show content anywhere, anytime, anyplace
2. ACC is moving forward on several fronts and one key is alliances...there are two principle conferences being discussed...more next week.
3. It is interesting that chatter on realignment has slowed somewhat...it is important for the final BE contract to be signed and whether it is NBC and NOT ESPN...NBC going after the BE and signing will in some ways signal what is happening with ND...take nothing for granted...could i be more cautious (re-read #1 above)???!

Swofford is holding lots close to chest...from what I am hearing it is positive...let's get the damn 'Cuse 12th football game signed and then the ACC schedule will appear quickly....Go 'Cuse

Notice Swofford's comment on being all in with ESPN...for good or bad that is where the ACC bed is made. I will not break confidence at this time, but will say:
1. Renegotiation on contract is moving forward and may take a bit more time because a network or channel discussion is moving down the line
--note this " We’re having discussions on those moving forward with Notre Dame as a part of that, and then Louisville becoming a member of the league. We’re looking at the current structure, as well as the possibility of a channel. And those discussions all involve ESPN. The good news is that in terms of distribution, when you’re with ESPN and their commitment to the new technology that’s there and the ability to show content anywhere, anytime, anyplace
2. ACC is moving forward on several fronts and one key is alliances...there are two principle conferences being discussed...more next week.
3. It is interesting that chatter on realignment has slowed somewhat...it is important for the final BE contract to be signed and whether it is NBC and NOT ESPN...NBC going after the BE and signing will in some ways signal what is happening with ND...take nothing for granted...could i be more cautious (re-read #1 above)???!

Swofford is holding lots close to chest...from what I am hearing it is positive...let's get the damn 'Cuse 12th football game signed and then the ACC schedule will appear quickly....Go 'Cuse
I get your point with Notre Dame, but ND's contract expires after 2015 with NBC won't ESPN have to acquire ND's football rights for any of that to make sense. If ND resigns with NBC they won't join the ACC as a full member until that contract expired.
Look at Darren Rovell's article about this from September http://espn.go.com/blog/playbook/dollars/post/_/id/1576/nbc-likely-to-hold-on-to-notre-dame
NBC pays ND alone 15 million dollars per year and ND is all NBC has for college football you gotta bet NBC will offer significantly more to keep its college football crown jewel and unless Swofford has gotten a commitment ND will sign with ESPN then the ACC is in trouble. What ESPN has going for them is that Dick Edersol is no longer the President of NBC Sports and Edersol is an ND alum and booster and ND won't have any loyalty in the negotiating room. Bottomline the ACC and SU will be fine I think I just hope ND signs with ESPN.

If the ACC/ESPN is going to do a channel then I would assume that one of the alliances will be with the C7 for basketball coverage and the B12 for football and baseball.

If the ACC/ESPN is going to do a channel then I would assume that one of the alliances will be with the C7 for basketball coverage and the B12 for football and baseball.
Highly unlikely they would forge an alliance with the C7 as they are signing with FOX and ESPN won't help FOX at all. Also, I think you can rule out the PAC-12 and B1G for scheduling alliances because of the FOX connection as well. I think the most likely scheduling alliance will be with the SEC which is also a ESPN property and the reason is because the SEC looks at the ACC as its little brother and will work with them I believe.
You have to analyze these alliances based on which TV partner the conference is in bed with.
ACC-ESPN
B1G-FOX
PAC-12 FOX/ESPN(equal)
SEC-ESPN/CBS
Big XII- FOX/ESPN(equal)

I cant wait for ACC-land at WaltDisneyWorld.

itll be like epcot.

all 15 schools set up beer & food stands and have tvs showing their games & highlights. in the middle put a big open beer garden with views of all 15 schools tvs.

the Syracuse bar will be shaped like the Dome and the bathroom will be a pee-trough, with storz and gtown logos to aim at.

big12 my arse, nobody is going to that piece of shlit conf.

same with the b1g and sec.

Oh Lord

not really

not really

I would assume the alliance is with the Big 12 and PAC 12. Notre Dame joins fully with Navy/Georgetown as #16 to replace our footprint in MD. I think we have an outside shot at Texas depending on whether or not the alliance moves forward fully.

EDIT: I do think there is a possibility of a merged SEC/ACC channel as they're both all-in or almost all the way in with ESPN and they share a footprint.

I get your point with Notre Dame, but ND's contract expires after 2015 with NBC won't ESPN have to acquire ND's football rights for any of that to make sense. If ND resigns with NBC they won't join the ACC as a full member until that contract expired.
Look at Darren Rovell's article about this from September http://espn.go.com/blog/playbook/dollars/post/_/id/1576/nbc-likely-to-hold-on-to-notre-dame
NBC pays ND alone 15 million dollars per year and ND is all NBC has for college football you gotta bet NBC will offer significantly more to keep its college football crown jewel and unless Swofford has gotten a commitment ND will sign with ESPN then the ACC is in trouble. What ESPN has going for them is that Dick Edersol is no longer the President of NBC Sports and Edersol is an ND alum and booster and ND won't have any loyalty in the negotiating room. Bottomline the ACC and SU will be fine I think I just hope ND signs with ESPN.

It would still make sense to talk about ND in this because they are in contract to play 5 games a year and under the contract ESPN/ACC gets TV rights to games played in ACC home venues. So it has to be discussed since those football games PLUS the Olympic sports add value and are part of the equation when it comes to figuring out if there is enough value to a network to survive.

Don't forget about the ACC's YouTube channel. Its already up and running, and, it does carry some live content as well. There might be a chance the league could monetise that, too.

And, that was something that the WVA/Big 12 kooks said was a joke last summer.

How funny would it be for Swofford to be ahead of the curve with that?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
newmom4503

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom