Symir needs more time | Syracusefan.com

Symir needs more time

Cuse_NYC

Starter
He’s the “truest” pg that we have. And absolutely our best defensive pg. If we get off to a bad start, we have to take one of our guards out. Let them try to get it together on the bench and then see what happens from there. Symir was excellent at the end of last season and now plays very sparingly. He probably has the best chance to get Jesse the ball in the right spots, as well.

He was great last year because all he needed to do was penetrate and pass out to 3-4/shooters. He dribbles now and keeps dribbling with no one to pass to.
I’d rather have that then the turnovers our backcourt makes

Yeah, he really brought something we badly needed last season.

This roster isn't nearly as good of a fit for him.
He doesn’t get much of a chance to prove himself

I know he's a walking turnover, but I'd really like to see Copeland get a few minutes both to run point, and see what he can do as a defender at the top of the zone.
I am on board with you about getting Cope more minutes, but not at the point until he cuts his TOs. He can contribute off ball IMHO. Outside of Judah he appears to be our only other player who can break down D's off the dribble, but he has to learn when to pick his spots and go.

I really like Symir but I really believe that it depends on how the game flows and opponent as to how much time he gets...and of course how well he is playing that day as well.

Symir is a significant offensive downgrade from Joe or Mintz. He can't create for himself and we just don't have much for him to pass to. Unfortunately, we need guards who can score because our Forwards can't. We could have prime Steve Nash on the court and our Forwards would still suck. His defense is less of a gain over Joe or Mintz than his offense is a loss.

When Girard is ice cold and making stupid turnovers, yeah, play Symir. But other than that, he's just a solid substitute to give the guards breathers.

edit: Per advanced defensive stats, Symir is not an improvement over even Joe on defense. Eyes might tell us something else, but stats say we're better defensively with Joe on the court. This might be an indictment of advanced stats more so than an indictment of Symir, though. For instance, want to guess the best guard we've had by defensive win share? Mr. Shaky Potatoes himself, Trevor Cooney.

Last edited:
Did you know Sy has a worse TOV% than Joe or Judah?
Didn’t, but when things are going bad for either of the starters, they go realllllly bad. And they forget how to dribble/pass.

This is going to sound like I am knocking Symir but I am not. Symir and JBA being at Syracuse on scholarship is exactly what is wrong with the Syracuse program right now. Those two have no business being on scholarship here.

He's not that good and he wasn't last year either. He's a 4th guard for a program that should have three far better options, but doesn't.
That’s fine, but in the games where Judah and Joe are completely collapsing, he should come in A LOT sooner than he does.

This is going to sound like I am knocking Symir but I am not. Symir and JBA being at Syracuse on scholarship is exactly what is wrong with the Syracuse program right now. Those two have no business being on scholarship here.
JBA obviously shouldnt. Why not symir?

JBA obviously shouldnt. Why not symir?
To me it feels like Sy has regressed this year. Trying to do too much when he’s out there. Im guessing a coach told him he needed to be the high energy guy off the bench, but he dialed it up to 11 instead of the 8-9 we need.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom