Syra-Q’s? | Syracusefan.com

Syra-Q’s?

W'boro'Cuse315

All American
With us potentially bringing in both Quincy & Qudus for 2019, I began to wonder if we’ve ever had a player whose first name began with Q. The player index on one of my favorite sites, orangehoops.com, yielded some startling results.

All Time Syracuse Orange Basketball Player List

In the 118 year history of SU basketball, not only has there apparently never been a first name starting with Q, but only one player, Terry Quigley (‘58-‘61), had a Q anywhere in his first or last name. Quigley was a graduate of Central HS in Syracuse & went on to become Bishop Ludden’s 1st hoops coach in 1963 before later coaching at Bishop Grimes & Morrisville State.

We’ve had some close calls (LaQuinton Ross & of course Quade come to mind) &, quite ironically, the captain of our only title team, Kueth Duany, was nicknamed “Q”. Our women’s team is also currently headed by “Coach Q”.

These are the types of things that happen on overnight shifts.

Pretty sure that was the joke, given the thread title. ;)
My bad...didn’t find it all that funny. I tried to find the humor in it and when I didn’t, I made the post.

89BFBA42-0B0E-4567-AF12-585326C6B628.jpeg

With us potentially bringing in both Quincy & Qudus for 2019, I began to wonder if we’ve ever had a player whose first name began with Q. The player index on one of my favorite sites, orangehoops.com, yielded some startling results.

In the 118 year history of SU basketball, not only has there apparently never been a first name starting with Q, but only one player, Terry Quigley (‘58-‘61), had a Q anywhere in his first or last name. Quigley was a graduate of Central HS in Syracuse & went on to become Bishop Ludden’s 1st hoops coach in 1963 before later coaching at Bishop Grimes & Morrisville State.

We’ve had some close calls (LaQuinton Ross & of course Quade come to mind) &, quite ironically, the captain of our only title team, Kueth Duany, was nicknamed “Q”. Our women’s team is also currently headed by “Coach Q”.

In case you are more bored, basketball players who name starts with Q (and all the other letters):
Basketball Players First Name Starting With Q - Sportsfy

I used to complain that announcers called us the Q's (Cues) as opposed to the 'Cuse. But Syra-q's would be very appropriate if we landed Quincy and Qudus. I wish they had their visits at the same time.

Looks like only two players have ever even had a Q in their name. Henry Marquardt and Terry Quigley.

I didnt study abroad while at SU because so i went to visit a bunch of my buddies in Madrid for Spring Break my Jr year.

We had a pledge drive us to NYC and we listened to the 2nd half of the Cuse-Uconn BET Gerry game going crazy in the car.

Then we watched the Gtown game in the middle of the night at some Irish bar with a bunch of Gtown fans

Then we listened to the Pitt game at Kapital, a phenomenal night club in Madrid. Ripped my shirt off when we won.

Followed along on a computer at the airport coming back as we lost to AM :(

Anyway, point of the story coming up...

After we landed back in the states, We took a bus from JFK to Cuse and at the bus terminal the gate agent (or whatever you call them at bus terminals) kept SCREAMING "who's going to Sarah-Q?" "are you going to Sarah-Q?" "Let me see that ticket, yeah youre going to Sarah-Q"

It was surreal, it was strange, it was a little bizarre. But I loved it. And this thread post reminded me of it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom