Syracuse’s success at center starts with Bourama Sidibe handling soreness, but not pain | Syracusefan.com

Syracuse’s success at center starts with Bourama Sidibe handling soreness, but not pain

Yea that write up doesnt give me the warm fuzzy feeling about sidibe and his health. I think one of our freshman bigs will end up seeing more time then expected.

Yea that write up doesnt give me the warm fuzzy feeling about sidibe and his health. I think one of our freshman bigs will end up seeing more time then expected.

Why?

Article sounded pretty positive in terms of his improvement. The coaches indicated that he's moving substantially better, and that it will translate over to his play.

I didn't see anything in that article that struck me as a red flag or cause for pessimism.

I think the freshmen centers are competing with Braswell for playing time. Which line-up is better Dolezaj at center and Braswell at forward or Edwards/Ajak at center and Dolezaj at forward. My guess is the line-up that rebounds better.

Why?

Article sounded pretty positive in terms of his improvement. The coaches indicated that he's moving substantially better, and that it will translate over to his play.

I didn't see anything in that article that struck me as a red flag or cause for pessimism.
I just feel like they are already putting it out there that he has soreness but has been dealing with it for 2 years and has to just push through it narrative. Hes not feeling as much pain but the soreness will always be there line. Not trying to be a debbie downer and most of the article does sound positive. I really hope we get to see a healthy sidibe but I just feel like we will end up seeing a freshman big play more then what is expected. It will take one good knee bump in a game or practice and bourama will be hurtin. Didnt mean for it to come across as doubting the write up just my own thoughts is all. The dreaded potato knee syndrome.

I should also point out that I think pretty highly of JBA. Kid has a high motor and has a completely different skill set that we are use to having. I have no idea if he will see time or not but the kid could be a huge floor spacer as a 5 to bring out opposing teams bigs from clogging the center. Kid can legitimately shoot the rock for a big guy.

I just feel like they are already putting it out there that he has soreness but has been dealing with it for 2 years and has to just push through it narrative. Hes not feeling as much pain but the soreness will always be there line. Not trying to be a debbie downer and most of the article does sound positive. I really hope we get to see a healthy sidibe but I just feel like we will end up seeing a freshman big play more then what is expected. It will take one good knee bump in a game or practice and bourama will be hurtin. Didnt mean for it to come across as doubting the write up just my own thoughts is all. The dreaded potato knee syndrome.

I totally get that this is semantics, and not trying to get into a debate about what each term means to every different individual -- but there is a big difference between soreness and pain. And not all soreness is bad [example: after working out / lifting, your muscles might be sore, but this isn't pain or debilitating, it's just part of exercising vigorously].

That he's not experiencing pain which impairs him is a big step forward.

Soreness can be treated with therapy, ice, time in the training room, exercises to strengthen soft tissues, etc.

I totally get that this is semantics, and not trying to get into a debate about what each term means to every different individual -- but there is a big difference between soreness and pain. And not all soreness is bad [example: after working out / lifting, your muscles might be sore, but this isn't pain or debilitating, it's just part of exercising vigorously].

That he's not experiencing pain which impairs him is a big step forward.

Soreness can be treated with therapy, ice, time in the training room, exercises to strengthen soft tissues, etc.
Not going to argue any of that. I hope he can have a healthy season so we can see what hes really capable of. I really liked him coming out of high school and he was a monster in that Pitt game. Would love to see even half of that performance consistently.

Why?

This is Syracuse! If the sun comes up in the morning there will be rampant pessimism.

I should also point out that I think pretty highly of JBA. Kid has a high motor and has a completely different skill set that we are use to having. I have no idea if he will see time or not but the kid could be a huge floor spacer as a 5 to bring out opposing teams bigs from clogging the center. Kid can legitimately shoot the rock for a big guy.

Something that really sticks out for me about JBA in this article is the intelligence and then even more so, how effective he is as a screener. Some of our best teams have had an effective screener at the 5 spot. Forth, Fab and Rak all set solid screens doing a good job freeing up the backcourt and cutters. PC, Sidibe, Marek and have not. Heck even Tyler was a little better setting screens than the three mentioned.

When you think about the combo guards we have and the shooters, having a solid big man to create space could be a huge asset. Not a stat sheet item but one of those little things we have really missed.

Something that really sticks out for me about JBA in this article is the intelligence and then even more so, how effective he is as a screener. Some of our best teams have had an effective screener at the 5 spot. Forth, Fab and Rak all set solid screens doing a good job freeing up the backcourt and cutters. PC, Sidibe, Marek and have not. Heck even Tyler was a little better setting screens than the three mentioned.

When you think about the combo guards we have and the shooters, having a solid big man to create space could be a huge asset. Not a stat sheet item but one of those little things we have really missed.
I also think JBA may be able able to hit the jumper on the return pass after setting the pick up top. Dolezaj is the only other current guy that can do that.

This is Syracuse! If the sun comes up in the morning there will be rampant pessimism.

Pessimism is not what I observe. We could actually use some more of it around here.

It starts with optimism (peppered with entitlement)

Then comes reality.

Then disappointment. (This is the stage we are at in the current football season)

Then the "Search for the Guilty"

Then "If only they had listened to me."

JBA was actually a top 50 recruit before he got injured as a junior and then struggled in his recovery. So his upside could be high, and I’m hopeful he reaches that. That said, big guys almost always take a year or two of transition to get used to college basketball.