Syracuse 2022 Strength of Schedule | Syracusefan.com

Syracuse 2022 Strength of Schedule

Orijinal

All Conference
I was looking at the initial S+P rankings for the teams Syracuse will play in 2022, as taken from what was posted in the Thursday Daily Articles thread (Feb 10).

Bill Connelly basically ranks teams with 3 criteria in mind:
Returning Production
Recent Recruiting
Recent History

As you can guess, this year Syracuse is getting no favors.
Cuse is rated #58, with only Virginia (63) and Boston College (76) rated lower on Syracuse's ACC schedule

The rest of Syracuse's notable opponents in order:
Clemson #5
Notre Dame #8
Pittsburgh #13
NC State #15
Florida State #24
Purdue #27
Louisville #29
Wake Forest #47

That is a murderer's row, and something to keep closely in mind when we evaluate the results of the season at the end of the year. 5 of the 10 teams just listed are in the top 25, and 7 of the 10 are in the top 30.

And according to a Syracuse.com article, Syracuse is going to be facing a good quarterback in almost every game this season

If that is not a top 10 schedule nationally, I will be surprised. And, because of the heavy lifting we will do this year, I guarantee you that if we keep this coaching staff beyond 2022, we will have a more successful 2023.

According to Phil Steele, Syracuse played the 3rd toughest schedule in the nation in 2017, and it paid off in 2018

For these reasons, I am giving this year's Syracuse program a lot of leeway this year to right the ship. And I think we all should as well.

Go Orange

Notre Dame - Brand new coach, new QB
Pitt - New QB
WF - New QB
NC State - New QB?

How good are these QB's for those teams above? Does anyone know?

EDIT: I thought Wake QB graduated. My bad.

Last edited:
I need to see visible, clear, substantial progress.

Every year it’s excuses. Dino’s been given all the toys and tools that’d supposedly level the playing field for a competent coach.

Not many people to point the finger at when in year 7 its put up or shut up time and the schedules the second hardest he’s faced.

Thinking of 2017

I hope we go undefeated, I will be there in person cheering them on, but for me it’s Bowl game or bust. Sorry not sorry Dino has a tough schedule this year. Dino has been to 1 bowl game and one winning season, another losing season he needs to be fired the day after the season ends.

I was looking at the initial S+P rankings for the teams Syracuse will play in 2022, as taken from what was posted in the Thursday Daily Articles thread (Feb 10).

Bill Connelly basically ranks teams with 3 criteria in mind:
Returning Production
Recent Recruiting
Recent History

As you can guess, this year Syracuse is getting no favors.
Cuse is rated #58, with only Virginia (63) and Boston College (76) rated lower on Syracuse's ACC schedule

The rest of Syracuse's notable opponents in order:
Clemson #5
Notre Dame #8
Pittsburgh #13
NC State #15
Florida State #24
Purdue #27
Louisville #29
Wake Forest #47

That is a murderer's row, and something to keep closely in mind when we evaluate the results of the season at the end of the year. 5 of the 10 teams just listed are in the top 25, and 7 of the 10 are in the top 30.

And according to a Syracuse.com article, Syracuse is going to be facing a good quarterback in almost every game this season

If that is not a top 10 schedule nationally, I will be surprised. And, because of the heavy lifting we will do this year, I guarantee you that if we keep this coaching staff beyond 2022, we will have a more successful 2023.

According to Phil Steele, Syracuse played the 3rd toughest schedule in the nation in 2017, and it paid off in 2018

For these reasons, I am giving this year's Syracuse program a lot of leeway this year to right the ship. And I think we all should as well.

Go Orange
Take with a grain of salt as every years teams are different unless your a Alabama

The schedule certainly is challenging.

I like to see how we fair against the "experts". Fans are not experts at forecasting the success of their favorite team. Fans think with their hearts, "we will be undefeated". Experts are the people who make a living at predicting winners of football games, guys who set the betting lines. Therefore, I like to see how a team does against the experts, against the spread.

In 2021 the experts set the season total wins over/under for Syracuse at 3 wins. We beat that and had 5 wins.

In individual games we were 8-4 against the spread.

What will the pre-season over/under for total wins in 2022 be? Right now (things change) I only see the Orange being favored in four games: UConn, UVa, Wagner and BC. Sure, other games will be winnable, but right now I don't see Syracuse being favored in more than four games.

If we can step up and beat either Louisville or Purdue (both home games) in addition to UConn, UVa and Wagner, Syracuse will be 4-1 and fans will be excited and saying, "bowl or bust". Unfortunately, following the bye week we enter what appears to be the toughest month of our season, NC St, at Clemson, ND and at Pitt.

My heart says we will win at least six and earn a bid to a bowl game.

My mind will wait to see how we do against the spread before I pass judgement on the season.

The schedule certainly is challenging.

I like to see how we fair against the "experts". Fans are not experts at forecasting the success of their favorite team. Fans think with their hearts, "we will be undefeated". Experts are the people who make a living at predicting winners of football games, guys who set the betting lines. Therefore, I like to see how a team does against the experts, against the spread.

In 2021 the experts set the season total wins over/under for Syracuse at 3 wins. We beat that and had 5 wins.

In individual games we were 8-4 against the spread.

What will the pre-season over/under for total wins in 2022 be? Right now (things change) I only see the Orange being favored in four games: UConn, UVa, Wagner and BC. Sure, other games will be winnable, but right now I don't see Syracuse being favored in more than four games.

If we can step up and beat either Louisville or Purdue (both home games) in addition to UConn, UVa and Wagner, Syracuse will be 4-1 and fans will be excited and saying, "bowl or bust". Unfortunately, following the bye week we enter what appears to be the toughest month of our season, NC St, at Clemson, ND and at Pitt.

My heart says we will win at least six and earn a bid to a bowl game.

My mind will wait to see how we do against the spread before I pass judgement on the season.
Depending how it goes, UVA or BC could be favored. I'll guess the over under will be set at 3 wins.

As a fan, I'll take those 4, though. Louisville seems to have our number, so I'll take WF as a 5th win possibility. Between Florida State and Purdue, I like our chances more with FSU. We tend to play them well.

My fan head says 5 wins. My fan heart says we get to 6, and maybe upset another team. No idea who. Dino has beaten Pitt once?

Of course, if the offense has a more balanced threat? We could surprise. I think our defense will be good vs. The pass. Worried vs. Run. If we can get ahead early, control TOP on the ground? It could be a good year.

Last edited:
With all due respect to Bill Connelly, FSU finished 5-7 last year which included a loss to Jacksonville State. And Louisville finished 6-7. It's certainly possible those teams could be Top 25-caliber next year, but they have a LOT of work to do to get there.

If Dino can't get to a bowl game next year, he shouldn't be back in 2023.

Every year it’s excuses. Dino’s been given all the toys and tools that’d supposedly level the playing field for a competent coach.

Not many people to point the finger at when in year 7 its put up or shut up time and the schedules the second hardest he’s faced.

Thinking of 2017
He’s faced tougher schedules on the whole more than anyone since P. It’s not an excuse, it’s the only way to really get a read on his tenure and place it in proper context. There is no “it’s year 7, so now we throw out how good his opponents are”

It’s how we decide what success looks like.

Pitt - New QB
WF - New QB
NC State - New QB?

Pretty sure Wake and NC State will each have the same QB as 2021.

We play ND and Pitt late in the season, so the QBs won’t really be new at that point.

We know from experience that probably a couple of the QBs we expect to play against this year will not play in our games. CFB is a game of predictably unpredictable attrition.

Pitt - New QB
WF - New QB
NC State - New QB?

EDIT: I thought Wake QB graduated. My bad.

Yes, we should catch a break or two among those.
And we have most of the toughest opponents at home this year. I think we can squeak into a bowl if we stay healthy.
This staff, and this team, a year from now if we keep them together could be really very good.

Thinking of 2017

We improved 4 games last year in the first year of a new DC and a new OL coach. Both of those areas were strengths of the team. We just added a Super Bowl winning special teams coach who has no other immediate assignment.

We just added a whole "Department of Offense" around the VA guys, the BYU connections and young analytics guys. Those guys put up serious numbers something like the last 3 years at UVa.

We're thin against the run on defense. We need a few of our wide receivers to emerge as dependable guys who will give you 4 or 5 catches every single game. By going away from reads to routes, maybe our WRs will be better at getting off the line.

Our DBs are elite. We have some promising young rush ends, as you would expect with our recent strength in this area.

If having Mikel Jones in the middle can help strengthen what looks like a young and lightweight interior line, those are probably my keys to the season.

Assuming the coaching hires are actually as good as we think, we're going to find a way to 6 wins and a bowl.

We improved 4 games with a competent running game and a solid defense. Now we get to add a modern passing game and a really good special teams coach. Our best DL coach is again coaching the DL. If we don't lose 10 guys to injury, I could see this group grinding to 6 or 7 wins, even against that schedule.

Imagine if we had much better offensive game plans, and better decision making at crunch time, based on analytics, not hunches, and whether your formerly bold coach has gone all turtle on you.

By going away from reads to routes, maybe our WRs will be better at getting off the line.
Could you explain what you mean here? I’m not being critical just looking to learn.

Could you explain what you mean here? I’m not being critical just looking to learn.

Traditionally, the player on offense always has a slight advantage over the player on defense because he knows where he's going on the snap, the defender doesn't and the defender has to react to the offensive player's first move.

If the WR in our system has to read the DB to know which way to cut, or if they face press coverage on the line of scrimmage, which side do I run toward to (a) get free from the defender, but also (b) be in the area I'm supposed to be in for the design of this play?

It's kind of like when you hear defensive coaches (or basketball coaches) say, "They're thinking too much out there; I want them to play more instinctively, more naturally. Just go have fun out there."

If our offensive guys (esp. WRs) can just execute a play without having to do a shuffle step on the snap to try to get away from their defender, or trick their defender into thinking they want to go one way instead of another, that slows you down. That takes a moment.

Only February and excuses are being made already. Time for Dino to win games. No more excuses

Were we not +4 in wins last year?
Do we now have a better QB and better OL?
Do we now have an outstanding RB?
That was the first year for our new DC.
That was the first year for our new OL coach.
Now we have several more new coaches with great pedigrees.
We have invested in a modern analytics program.
I think we're going bowling this year, even against a tougher schedule.
But there's no need for ultimatums at this time of year.
Haven't you seen all the stuff taking place around the team?
There are many reasons for optimism that were lacking this time last year.