Syracuse and early season success | Syracusefan.com

Syracuse and early season success

Orangeyes

R.I.P Dan
or lack there of.

Was shocked when I researched our early season record to see that historically we rarely get off to a great start save for 1991 4-0, 1987 when we went 11-0, 1975 3-0, 1967 3-0, 1960 5-0, 1959 11-0 that's as far back as I went.
http://www.jhowell.net/cf/scores/Syracuse.htm

I remember during the Pasqualoni years that we had middling starts to the year on a regular basis -- the teams didn't seem well prepared. All our teams looked like this year's team did against Ped State, poor communication, a lot of timeouts burned for lack of coordination, generally aggravating BS.

I think next years schedule really gives us a chance. Villanova and WM should be very winnable. No reason we can beat Maryland. 3-0 start would be big. Even Notre Dame is winnable.

It's the main factor as to why the reasonable SU football fans on this board know the program overall hasn't been as great as some would like to make it out to be. SU at its best in terms of placement has been a low level Baron, always in danger of falling to Knight status.

I love SU football, but low-level Baron may be our ceiling. A few more seasons and I think we can get back to high-level Knight status.

Cheers,
Neil

It's always been a sore spot with me. The early over scheduling hasn't helped at all. It would be tremendously helpful to get off to better starts out of the gate. Tremendously helpful!

Orangeyes said:
or lack there of. Was shocked when I researched our early season record to see that historically we rarely get off to a great start save for 1991 4-0, 1987 when we went 11-0, 1975 3-0, 1967 3-0, 1960 5-0, 1959 11-0 that's as far back as I went. http://www.jhowell.net/cf/scores/Syracuse.htm

September has been an anchor on this program for going on two decades now. We either lose to really strong OOC opponents, or blow games to teams we generally outclass.

Depending on who we get on the schedule for the weekend of 9/7 this upcoming season could be our best shot in a long time to start really well. Being 3-0 or 4-0 going into the ND game at MetLife would be so great.

September has been an anchor on this program for going on two decades now. We either lose to really strong OOC opponents, or blow games to teams we generally outclass.

Depending on who we get on the schedule for the weekend of 9/7 this upcoming season could be our best shot in a long time to start really well. Being 3-0 or 4-0 going into the ND game at MetLife would be so great.
i think it mattered more when we were really good. we might've gotten beat by worse teams than PSU and NW anyway. we weren't good then.

i don't think it made that much difference this year. we got smoked quite a bit in conference.

I remember during the Pasqualoni years that we had middling starts to the year on a regular basis -- the teams didn't seem well prepared. All our teams looked like this year's team did against Ped State, poor communication, a lot of timeouts burned for lack of coordination, generally aggravating BS.
didn't you know that was due to poor facilities? I keed, I keed, I keed :p

Yes I remember the angst at all that too, hopefully some year (next?!) that changes so there can be some early season anticipation, build up and better crowds the end result.

Last edited:
or lack there of.

Was shocked when I researched our early season record to see that historically we rarely get off to a great start save for 1991 4-0, 1987 when we went 11-0, 1975 3-0, 1967 3-0, 1960 5-0, 1959 11-0 that's as far back as I went.
http://www.jhowell.net/cf/scores/Syracuse.htm
My dad's perpetual criticism of the program was that it never seemed ready for the beginning of the season. He followed SU football from the fifties, until his passing in 2011.

The problem is when we were independent, and very few bowl games, you had to have a strong schedule to impress. We never learned when we joined a league, the object is to win the league, not schedule losses in OOC games. As I pointed out Duke has learned schedule 4 patsies, and win your division, you look like a great team, even idiots like HD at ESPN thing Duke will continue to be good. They got blasted as bad as we did by Florida St, yet they're good.

This was my main criticism with Coach P. Rarely did it seem we were prepared. We were far too talented, we should have accomplished much more. Those ECU, and NCST losses still bother me.

didn't you know that was due to poor facilities? I keed, I keed, I keed :p

Yes I remember the angst at all that too, hopefully some year (next?!) that changes so there can be some early season anticipation, build up and better crowds the end result.

Those were trying years - with solid wins versus Wisconsin, N. Carolina, and Michigan, and great efforts against Tenn the eventual NC.

Three ten win seasons, three or four nine win seasons, and of course the bowls of Fiesta, Orange, Gator, Liberty, Hall of Fame, Music City, Insight, et al.

One wonders how folks can re-write history so easily.

Last edited:
Those were trying years - with solid wins versus Wisconsin, N. Carolina, and Michigan, and great efforts against Tenn the eventual NC.

Three ten win seasons, three or four nine win seasons, and of course the bowls of Fiesta, Orange, Gator, Liberty, Hall of Fame, Music City, Insight, et al.

yes I liked your post with a dig, cuz I SINCERELY appreciate your SU loyalty over the years that goes above and beyond, and it's so nice to be on the same side as you now in all things SU related! Good times Andy!

No re-write involved. It's just about which part of the record you choose to emphasize.

The good games make the bad games harder to accept.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseGuy44

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom