Syracuse basketball's Dajuan Coleman juiced his way to a slimmer ... | Syracusefan.com

Syracuse basketball's Dajuan Coleman juiced his way to a slimmer ...

Hopefully that juicing diet works out for him - everything I've read about it from legitimate nutritionists are that it's really not a good idea and pretty lousy for your body.

Nope. Not good for you. And once you stop and go back to real, solid foods...the weight piles back on. Quickly.

Also, juicing fruit takes away all the fiber that is contained in the fruits' skin. And the lack of real protein (meat, fish, even nuts like almonds) is bad for your muscles.

I don't know that he is advocating for it being a lifestyle but the guy was on crutches unable to exercise. Seems like a decent way to make sure that he did not gain a bunch of weight during that time. I say kudos to him.

It sounds as if it jumpstarted him toward eating a cleaner diet, which is great. He acknowledged he couldn't rely on the juicing alone once he started lifting weights again. If he uses the juicing as a complement to a clean whole foods diet, it could continue to be helpful. He'll need to find a balance so he doesn't keep going to the fasts. I'm with you, Lawrinson, on the fiber comment. He needs to make sure to get some whole fruits and vegetables. I don't know enough about the specifics of juicing to know the reasoning behind why eating whole fruits and vegetable would be bad while on the diet. The fiber in them should keep you feeling full longer.

I don't know what you guys think the fiber is turning into in these drinks. Particle size difference yes, fiber content the same.

It sounds as if it jumpstarted him toward eating a cleaner diet, which is great. He acknowledged he couldn't rely on the juicing alone once he started lifting weights again. If he uses the juicing as a complement to a clean whole foods diet, it could continue to be helpful. He'll need to find a balance so he doesn't keep going to the fasts. I'm with you, Lawrinson, on the fiber comment. He needs to make sure to get some whole fruits and vegetables. I don't know enough about the specifics of juicing to know the reasoning behind why eating whole fruits and vegetable would be bad while on the diet. The fiber in them should keep you feeling full longer.
Wouldn't you think that SU is monitoring this diet and he's getting the proper advice about getting some form of fiber?

Wouldn't you think that SU is monitoring this diet and he's getting the proper advice about getting some form of fiber?
Oh sure. But if it's already in the food you're taking the juice from, why remove it just to then have to replace it somewhere else? I'd be willing to bet he wasn't eating much in the way of fibrous fruits and vegetables prior to starting the juicing and had he replaced the sodas and burgers that he's no longer craving with whole fruits and vegetable he would've had similar, albeit slower, results. Like I said, it sounds like it was a good jumpstart for him, and he stated he went back to eating whole foods. Hopefully, he doesn't think he needs to rely on juicing fasts to bring his weight down when it creeps back up. Establishing a yo yo pattern with weight has been shown to be detrimental for both weight control and over all health. Since he has already gotten his weight down, a better approach going forward would be to monitor weight and lean muscle mass closely and make small changes in diet to maintain stability or make small changes when necessary.

Sorry this is so long winded. It's brought out the former personal trainer in me.

Last edited:
SU doesn't have a nutritionist on staff in Athletics (would be a lot more useful position than quote machine Giansante). Not sure Pike's background in this area, but that's who Coleman referenced as guiding him.

This is why allowing schools to feed athletes makes sense. Why wouldn't you want your top athletes' diets monitored more closely instead of sending them off to dining halls/Goldstein?

I don't know what you guys think the fiber is turning into in these drinks. Particle size difference yes, fiber content the same.
I think if you pulverize fruits and veggies into a "smoothie" you get the fiber, but when you use a juicer you get a huge pile of pulp and very little juice...maybe im wrong but i always figured that pulp was a huge part of the fiber.

My wife did the juicing thing for a while, and still makes juices for breakfast I think. Tried to get me to, no dice.

She gave me an early bday present two nights ago.. A Paleo diet book. Ughh. I'm 6'2, 160 pounds. Why the heck am I on a diet? She said she wanted me to live past 35. I like hoagies for lunch. I like milk. I like pizza. She is trying to take everything good in my life away. :(

My wife did the juicing thing for a while, and still makes juices for breakfast I think. Tried to get me to, no dice.

She gave me an early bday present two nights ago.. A Paleo diet book. Ughh. I'm 6'2, 160 pounds. Why the heck am I on a diet? She said she wanted me to live past 35. I like hoagies for lunch. I like milk. I like pizza. She is trying to take everything good in my life away. :(

Eventually every man learns he cannot eat at 30 or 40 the way he did at 20. Otherwise he no longer weighs 160 pounds. Getting old sucks.

Last edited:
Eventually every man learns he cannot eat at 30 or 40 the way he did at 20. Otherwise he no longer weights 160 pounds. Getting old sucks.

I'm only 28! I have two years to go! I went from eating a ham, turkey, peperoni hoagie for lunch, to a chef salad with a watermelon snack. I'm dying here.

I should probably add the new running shoes she came home with. I've known I needed to get back in shape for a while. I got out of the Army and went straight into lazy mode. Running starts tonight. I'm not looking forward to it.

I think if you pulverize fruits and veggies into a "smoothie" you get the fiber, but when you use a juicer you get a huge pile of pulp and very little juice...maybe im wrong but i always figured that pulp was a huge part of the fiber.
I guess I didn't understand that there would be a separation. I thought it was just grinding up the whole thing with a Ninja.

I'm only 28! I have two years to go! I went from eating a ham, turkey, peperoni hoagie for lunch, to a chef salad with a watermelon snack. I'm dying here.

I should probably add the new running shoes she came home with. I've known I needed to get back in shape for a while. I got out of the Army and went straight into lazy mode. Running starts tonight. I'm not looking forward to it.

I feel ya bro.

I get a small container of chopped romaine lettuce (no dressing), a few cherry tomatoes and cucumbers, and a scoop of tuna fish. Lost 17 pounds so far though...I'm surprised the wife actually wants me to live past 45...haha.

I guess I didn't understand that there would be a separation. I thought it was just grinding up the whole thing with a Ninja.
yeah i tried a juicer a few years ago, you take $7 worth of produce and end up with a 10oz drink and a pound of pulp that might actually fill you up if you ate it lol...i liked the concept but couldnt stand the waste.

I feel ya bro.

I get a small container of chopped romaine lettuce (no dressing), a few cherry tomatoes and cucumbers, and a scoop of tuna fish. Lost 17 pounds so far though...I'm surprised the wife actually wants me to live past 45...haha.

I told Meghan that the only reason I was doing this, is because a girl promised me that if I out lived Meghan, we would hook up. She did not think it was as I thought she would. w/e lol

Eventually every man learns he cannot eat at 30 or 40 the way he did at 20. Otherwise he no longer weighs 160 pounds. Getting old sucks.
I was 165 lbs at just shy of 6' for most of my young adult life. As I progressed thru my 30's I noticed that my waistline continued to match my age. At 38 years old I finally realized I was too fat and really began to control my diet. Unfortunately all I managed to do was stop the increase, at 43 I am still 38" around the middle. I now cry every time I look at pictures of myself 10+ years younger.

SU doesn't have a nutritionist on staff in Athletics

Should they even need one? Doesn't the University offer both a B.S. and an M.S. in Nutrition Science through the Falk College of Sport and Human Dynamics?

Is there some NCAA violation preventing a full-time faculty member that teaches in that program from offering help to any of our student athletes by giving free nutrition advice?

Cheers,
Neil

There is no NCAA rule preventing that (as far as I know). I doubt you'd get a faculty member to volunteer more than a little bit of time each week when many schools use a Nutritionist to plan meals at their training table. Maybe SU consults with someone already, but free advice or a nutrition seminar is a lot different than individualized nutritional plans. We all know that the needs vary even within a sport like basketball, never mind the variation in football.

Maybe it's overkill when we are talking about Ath Dept. spending, but I'd rather see $ spent on a nutritionist, sports psychologist, athletic trainer than on some other suit with a fancy title. If we are talking about maximizing performance, then provide the athletes will the necessary tools for success.

I think you could pay a faculty member to do this work, but not realistic to have them provide this level of service for free.

I told Meghan that the only reason I was doing this, is because a girl promised me that if I out lived Meghan, we would hook up. She did not think it was as I thought she would. w/e lol

I'm surprised you didn't lose your chance to hook up with that girl right then and there when you told your wife that... :)

If DC's knee injury is career ending the Orange might be able to sign Bryant in the spring. I think DC has a lot of pressure on his shoulders. If he doesn't make it through the 2014-15 campaign I think his career may be done.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom