Syracuse basketball's greatest freshmen ranked 1 through 25 | Syracusefan.com

Syracuse basketball's greatest freshmen ranked 1 through 25

Yeah, but who had the greatest Sophomore bounce in SU history?

I vote for Sherman. He went from barely playing to becoming possibly the best guard in the country in 1 year.
Very true for some reason I didn't think about him initially but he has to be #1

Mike did a really good job with this list. I agree with the order for the most part and have no major issues. Everyone is about where I would expect.

That is a good question. Off the top of my head I would say Etan Thomas, Stevie Thompson and Billy Owens come to mind. Tyus Battle would be on the list as well.

Etan came to mind for me too.

Hakim Warrick made a huge jump.

Damone Brown as well.

Burgan went from like 8th man as a freshman to one of the better players on a national title runner up.

Shumpert became a really good 6th man on a really good team as a soph.

That is a good question. Off the top of my head I would say Etan Thomas, Stevie Thompson and Billy Owens come to mind. Tyus Battle would be on the list as well.
I don’t really think of guys like Tyus and Billy as making a big jump. They showed enough as freshmen that I expected more production as sophomores. Their sophomore increase was just a result of their getting more opportunities.
Billy in particular could have done more as a freshman if he wasn’t deferring to DC, Sherman and Stevie.

I vote for Sherman. He went from barely playing to becoming possibly the best guard in the country in 1 year.
Good call. MCW had a massive jump in production, similarly fueled largely by a vast increase in playing time. But it wasn't quite as good as Sherm's.

Jerami Grant had a nice bump his sophomore season. So did Paul Harris. As did Elijah Hughes., if you count his stats from East Carolina.

Arinze Onuaku should be considered. He came from nowhere to have a fine sophomore season, which was arguably his best as an Orangeman.

For you fellow old pipl Marty Byrnes had a pretty nice sophomore bump.

Does he ever come around, you don’t hear his name mentioned much?

Last edited:
billy owens had all the skills of carmelo but walked into a team loaded with talent as noted above.
and just hindsight and not a popular opinion but i always felt more stevie t. and we beat indiana.

Last edited:
I thought Harris would belong on the list and that he was as good as a freshman as he was the next 2 years. Could be wrong.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SyraFreed

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom