Syracuse Blackballed? | Syracusefan.com

Syracuse Blackballed?

cvillecuse

Walk On
Does anyone else wonder if SU is getting blackballed in their coaching search? There were a fair number of coaches that came out in support of Shafer and said that it was a mistake to fire him after only 3 years, including Frank Beamer (who had similar results at VT his first three years). I'm starting to wonder if potential candidates are staying away from Syracuse because they aren't convinced that they will get a fair shake. At the very least, it weakens Syracuse's hand in negotiations.

Does anyone else wonder if SU is getting blackballed in their coaching search? There were a fair number of coaches that came out in support of Shafer and said that it was a mistake to fire him after only 3 years, including Frank Beamer (who had similar results at VT his first three years). I'm starting to wonder if potential candidates are staying away from Syracuse because they aren't convinced that they will get a fair shake. At the very least, it weakens Syracuse's hand in negotiations.
Na man, money talks... Guys aren't going to cut of their noses to spite their face. You may very well be very supportive of SS, but, you can't throw away your opportunity because of that. And, SS would never ask or expect somebody to do that.

Whomever Coyle hires will get five years minimum

We have had coaches (retreads) seeking the job

There is no blackballing

No, coaches understand that it's a business where success is based on W's and L's.

Besides, Shafer is getting paid $1M to do nothing in 2016. I don't feel that bad for him in that regard and I suppose the coaching community doesn't either.

Blackballed? No.

But I hear that Nike is coming out with Platinum balls for next season.

db135d3a45786aeb4a264ca3bc21ecf7126db36.jpg

No. Of course not. 99% of these other guys couldn't care less about Scott Shafer. Plus, they think they will be successful.

It means that any prospective quality coach and his agent are going to demand long-term guarantees. The blatant solicitation of negative comments by the syracuse.com website alone creates a poisonous atmosphere that makes the SU job unattractive relative to others.

I wouldn't trust Coyle. " It's a Marathon, not a sprint" pulls the plug even before a 5K.

We have a new athletic director so makes more sense. What do you think they have a forum like this where they all go and discuss the coaching jobs, and coordinate a black list? The agents are working for money so they are not blacklisting anyone...they just want a paycheck at the end of the day.

:):)

BLUE-balled? Most definitely.

Blackballed? Not likely.

Have you ever heard a coach publicly say another coach should be fired? I think you're overthinking this too much
No but they don't always come running in defense. The position that they always defend a fired coach is just as opinionated and false.

No. Of course not. 99% of these other guys couldn't care less about Scott Shafer. Plus, they think they will be successful.
Apparently we have heard from only 1% of other coaches. My guess/opinion is that most that are looking at the job realize that we have a new AD.

I also speculate that Coyle thought he had a short list that would produce our new coach. Obviously if that is correct he made a major miscalculation. Given we are now down to his B or C list we may not get anyone that gives us the WOW factor so many thought we would get in their delusions of SU being an easy sell.

We have a new athletic director so makes more sense. What do you think they have a forum like this where they all go and discuss the coaching jobs, and coordinate a black list? The agents are working for money so they are not blacklisting anyone...they just want a paycheck at the end of the day.

Do I think there is a giant conspiracy? No. What I think is that coaches talk. When an assistant talks to his head coach, or a colleague, or coach they have worked with previously and says, hey Syracuse is interested, it wouldn't surprise me if one of the first five remarks from that come out of their mouth is "why would you want to go there? They will pay you a crappy salary, give you an inadequate budget to hire assistants, and probably fire you after 3 years when you don't succeed in a job in which you were set up to fail, and was a failure before you even set foot on campus"

I wouldn't trust Coyle. " It's a Marathon, not a sprint" pulls the plug even before a 5K.
so you thought Coyle should give an extension to a coach who went on an 8 game losing streak this season?

I was fine with that, and then he said he "thought we could still win the game" down 31 points in the fourth quarter and left in a true freshman QB with a concussion history. You don't give someone that dumb an extension.

I think you are on to something here...SU has had 4 coaches in 10 years, so history shows you get 3 years here, those are the facts. How would a coordinator view the landscape for his first coaching job?

Here is what the landscape may look like to a potential 1st year HC interviewing now:

Virginia - pays ~$3M/yr and gave last coach 6-years (also better athletes already on roster)
Memphis & Temple (assuming Rhule moves on) - take over a 10 win team in a winnable conference
Bowling Green (assuming Babers moves on) - take over a MAC Championship competitor
Maryland - B1G team with Under Armor providing millions
Rutgers - B1G team with history of keeping coaches longer than SU, state funded for more $'s
So. Carolina & Mizzo - SU not competing with SEC coaching search
Tulane - 3 win team probably ranks lower than SU job, however you don't have to play FLA State & Clemson every year for 2 guaranteed loses

I think you are on to something here...SU has had 4 coaches in 10 years, so history shows you get 3 years here, those are the facts. How would a coordinator view the landscape for his first coaching job?

Here is what the landscape may look like to a potential 1st year HC interviewing now:

Virginia - pays ~$3M/yr and gave last coach 6-years (also better athletes already on roster)
Memphis & Temple (assuming Rhule moves on) - take over a 10 win team in a winnable conference
Bowling Green (assuming Babers moves on) - take over a MAC Championship competitor
Maryland - B1G team with Under Armor providing millions
Rutgers - B1G team with history of keeping coaches longer than SU, state funded for more $'s
So. Carolina & Mizzo - SU not competing with SEC coaching search
Tulane - 3 win team probably ranks lower than SU job, however you don't have to play FLA State & Clemson every year for 2 guaranteed loses

My thoughts exactly. Coaches talk to each other, and I can guarantee there aren't a lot of good things being said about Syracuse as a HC opportunity