Syracuse coach Jim Boeheim believes Rakeem Christmas could be most improved player next season | Syracusefan.com

Syracuse coach Jim Boeheim believes Rakeem Christmas could be most improved player next season

I'll buy it. He'll get more minutes than he's ever gotten, he's pretty much the only guy with significant experience (Cooney too, I guess), and the young guys will likely throw the ball to him when they can't do something with it.

I expect a stat line somwhere around 14pts and 8rebs per game. He HAS to stay out of foul trouble, though, or we're screwed.

Hope this means Rak won't get blamed for everything that goes wrong. I think he'll be very good if he's allowed to play through his mistakes without having to look over his shoulder. The games without Baye showed what he can do when he's trusted.

I'll buy it. He'll get more minutes than he's ever gotten, he's pretty much the only guy with significant experience (Cooney too, I guess), and the young guys will likely throw the ball to him when they can't do something with it.

I expect a stat line somwhere around 14pts and 8rebs per game. He HAS to stay out of foul trouble, though, or we're screwed.

Love the optimism, but I think 14 is way too high. Give me 10 and 7rebs, with 2.5 blocks.

Yeah, but wasn't Boeheim the one who said that Ennis was the most ready freshman point guard to play for him? ;)

Hope this means Rak won't get blamed for everything that goes wrong. I think he'll be very good if he's allowed to play through his mistakes without having to look over his shoulder. The games without Baye showed what he can do when he's trusted.

His biggest problem has been focus. We've all seen glimpses of his great talent - he just falls asleep out there and takes too many plays off. Hopefully giving him the ball more on offense will help him focus throughout the game on both ends of the floor. He's literally a sleeping giant.

We're going to need several "most improved players" next year. Hopefully Cooney (more consistent), Christmas, Roberson and BJ have a close race for the award.

His biggest problem has been focus. We've all seen glimpses of his great talent - he just falls asleep out there and takes too many plays off. Hopefully giving him the ball more on offense will help him focus throughout the game on both ends of the floor. He's literally a sleeping giant.
He needs to be HUNGRY.

One thing I'd say is that bigs that want to bang down low can get easily disengaged from the game if they aren't getting the ball thrown into them (not even to shoot, but even to be part of the movement). I think if he gets the ball more, not only will he get his points and get the FT line (I can see him having a functional baby hook), but I also think it will be great for our three point guys, specifically Trevor. If the ball can get worked inside/out, it should mean that either Rak will be able to go one on one or be able to find the open man on the perimeter who is floating when the defender drops down.

Rak is extremely talented and when he actually realizes how good he is the sky will be the limit!
I think JB is giving him an expectation to live up to, but in a way that shows a belief in Rak. None of the negative motivators have worked, after all.

Rak is better than many give him credit for. he will be drafted next year. Hes a prototypical PF in the NBA.

No question Rak is capable of making a big jump at the 5 spot, but please oh please, no Rak at the four. There isn't even a chance he gives us any O from the PF position.

Rak is better than many give him credit for. he will be drafted next year. Hes a prototypical PF in the NBA.

His size and athleticism might get him drafted, but I don't know if he'll get much further than that. He needs to develop a back to the basket game and show that he can score with his feet outside of the paint. It won't be easy, especially in the current landscape where 4 year players are looked at like they took the short bus to the draft.

His size and athleticism might get him drafted, but I don't know if he'll get much further than that. He needs to develop a back to the basket game and show that he can score with his feet outside of the paint. It won't be easy, especially in the current landscape where 4 year players are looked at like they took the short bus to the draft.
As of now Rak has part of the game of a 5 & none of the game of a 4. He lacks NBA size for the 5. I do not see any way he will be drafted.

Never happen as long as Cooney is playing. :rolleyes:

The pro's of being chained to the Boeheim dog house.

Great. I hope he plays 38 minutes a game and gets 20 shots a game. Otherwise, why wait to be a senior in the Syracuse system?

I could care less about off-season hype. Show me the money. Sweet 16 or bust.

I'm sure he could have been a force two years ago, problem is the dude doesn't get any touches at all.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom