Syracuse.com is awful | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Syracuse.com is awful

I only go there if a big story breaks to read mike or donnas take on it.

mike, donna, brent, chris, and the football guys are all pretty solid. we are also pretty lucky to have such longevity.

$20 per month is patently insane and outrageous and honestly completely uncalled for. Heads should roll for that idea, but if they gave me a $25 annual fee, i would have paid it in a heart beat to support our true local SU people.

I haven't read a Syracuse.com article since they put up the paywall. I'm sure I won't ever again unless it gets posted someplace else. I think they made a pretty serious error with that. At least the cost. Couple bucks a month is the max. Syracuse sports, I have to imagine, drives a huge percentage of their clicks and I'm the target demo for that (crazed fan, out of town, etc). If they lost me, they lost a lot of clickers.

I would love to know how many people have signed up when they went premium. I would imagine to fewer clicks. Won't that mean less advertising money ?

just clear your history/cache and the freebies will return for the month.
I no longer live in the Syracuse area, so when I moved I signed up for the digital paper. Thirteen weeks cost a little under $26. It also includes Syracuse.com. I didn’t think $2 a week was bad for the paper and Syracuse.com. I just renewed earlier this week. It keeps me updated and I get the Syracuse sports writers, who I think do a good job. The digital paper looks exactly like the regular daily paper.

I can't even believe body cams fall under freedom of information act. police agencies should just go back to not using to them.

If it was the police departments choice, in a substantial majority of jurisdictions they wouldn't be used. In jurisdictions that use them the use is not voluntary and it is administratively or legislatively mandated. They are often used as evidence in criminal and civil trials as well as administrative proceedings.

I think there are two separate issues.

Why would they FOI the video? Why WOULDN’T they? What if it had shown something entirely different from the official police account? Such things have happened.

Second issue: now you have the video and it DOES support the police findings. Is there a compelling reason to post it other than titillation? That’s a tougher one for them.

I haven't read a Syracuse.com article since they put up the paywall. I'm sure I won't ever again unless it gets posted someplace else. I think they made a pretty serious error with that. At least the cost. Couple bucks a month is the max. Syracuse sports, I have to imagine, drives a huge percentage of their clicks and I'm the target demo for that (crazed fan, out of town, etc). If they lost me, they lost a lot of clickers.

There are ways around the paywall. I still haven't been blocked and I read a .com article now and then. Some good articles by Mike, Donna, Bailey, Carlson etc. but certainly not worth $20/month. If they ever catch up to me I guess I'll just have to settle for Syracusefan.com, which is worth $20/month (not that I'm suggesting anything!).

There are ways around the paywall. I still haven't been blocked and I read a .com article now and then. Some good articles by Mike, Donna, Bailey, Carlson etc. but certainly not worth $20/month. If they ever catch up to me I guess I'll just have to settle for Syracusefan.com, which is worth $20/month (not that I'm suggesting anything!).

Same with me. I haven't been blocked yet either on 1 of my browsers.

TMZ is good company to keep if you are a journalist.