Syracuse Crowd at MSG | Syracusefan.com

Syracuse Crowd at MSG

EastCoast2

Board Mathematician
I hate saying this. It was pathetic. UConn had more fans. I'd put it at 55/45 in favor of them. UConn had 4x as many loud, cheering, excited fans. SU fans looked like they were watching the women's layup contest at midnight madness. UConn fans were watching like it was a Final Four game.

On the train on the way home from the game last night, I talked to some UConn students. UConn had shuttles from Storrs for the students, and these kids sat 5th row behind the basket for $15. The section behind the SU basket was 60% empty. Syracuse couldn't sell these tickets? Couldn't find a way to offer upgrades to SU fans who got tickets? I bought 24 tickets for this game and brought friends and coworkers. If SU knew these tickets were being wasted, why not call me up (season ticket holder) and move 24 bodies into the Syracuse section in the lower level? Why couldn't SU get 10 busloads of students down for this game? I can't believe the game wasn't sold out. I'd put it at 75% capacity, with most of the vacant seats in the SU sections.

It was pretty embarrassing wearing orange on the way out of the arena. The team played with no sense of urgency, like it was a pre-season scrimmage. UConn played like their season depended on it, because it probably did. I understand that UConn might not have many opportunities for quality wins, but the players' effort, the lack of coaching adjustments, and the fan support was absolutely terrible last night.

Rant over, for now.

I hate saying this. It was pathetic. UConn had more fans. I'd put it at 55/45 in favor of them. UConn had 4x as many loud, cheering, excited fans. SU fans looked like they were watching the women's layup contest at midnight madness. UConn fans were watching like it was a Final Four game.

On the train on the way home from the game last night, I talked to some UConn students. UConn had shuttles from Storrs for the students, and these kids sat 5th row behind the basket for $15. The section behind the SU basket was 60% empty. Syracuse couldn't sell these tickets? Couldn't find a way to offer upgrades to SU fans who got tickets? I bought 24 tickets for this game and brought friends and coworkers. If SU knew these tickets were being wasted, why not call me up (season ticket holder) and move 24 bodies into the Syracuse section in the lower level? Why couldn't SU get 10 busloads of students down for this game? I can't believe the game wasn't sold out. I'd put it at 75% capacity, with most of the vacant seats in the SU sections.

It was pretty embarrassing wearing orange on the way out of the arena. The team played with no sense of urgency, like it was a pre-season scrimmage. UConn played like their season depended on it, because it probably did. I understand that UConn might not have many opportunities for quality wins, but the players' effort, the lack of coaching adjustments, and the fan support was absolutely terrible last night.

Rant over, for now.

Gotta Give Storrs Credit...it is a three hour bus ride to the city and they had a ton of students there...

It's their Super Bowl. They have a steady diet of ECU and directional Florida's coming up.

If the shoe was on the other foot it would've been ours.

It's their Super Bowl. They have a steady diet of ECU and directional Florida's coming up.

What was their "super bowl game" their first year in the AAC? The ECU and directional Florida games or when they won it all? It's a shame that our guys can't dial in for games because it's "not important" enough for them. That's an incredibly weak mindset.

I don't think it matters. How many alums do we have in NYC/Northern Jersey/Fairfield County? How many opportunities will they get to see SU this year? The fact that SU couldn't get 10,000 fans at MSG is embarrassing. Kansas fans filled the garden just 2 weeks ago.

What was their "super bowl game" their first year in the AAC? The ECU and directional Florida games or when they won it all? It's a shame that our guys can't dial in for games because it's "not important" enough for them. That's an incredibly weak mindset.

It is what it is. They have half empty gyms and lots of directional to look forward to.

Our guys need to learn how to play with a lead against a desperate opponent.

I don't think it matters. How many alums do we have in NYC/Northern Jersey/Fairfield County? How many opportunities will they get to see SU this year? The fact that SU couldn't get 10,000 fans at MSG is embarrassing. Kansas fans filled the garden just 2 weeks ago.

They had a chance last week, ACC tourney in a couple of months. And they can turn on the TV and see us in all sorts of exciting matchups against hall of fame coaches and programs.

It is what it is. They have half empty gyms and lots of directional to look forward to.

Our guys need to learn how to play with a lead against a desperate opponent.

I doubt you've ever played a competitive sport in your life if you really believe that.

They had a chance last week, ACC tourney in a couple of months. And they can turn on the TV and see us in all sorts of exciting matchups against hall of fame coaches and programs.

People tune into games to watch coaches ?

UConn at MSG > South Carolina in Brooklyn

Unless Syracuse makes the ACC semifinals or finals, they'll have to take a day off work and go to Brooklyn at noon on a Wednesday/Thursday to catch SU in the ACC tourney this year.

UConn at MSG > South Carolina in Brooklyn

Unless Syracuse makes the ACC semifinals or finals, they'll have to take a day off work and go to Brooklyn at noon on a Wednesday/Thursday to catch SU in the ACC tourney this year.

South Carolina is a better team. And our guys had no problem showing up for day games in the past.

South Carolina is a better team. And our guys had no problem showing up for day games in the past.
Did SU fans in the NYC metro area know that South Carolina would be better than UConn 2 months ago? Duke is playing at the Garden tonight for the second time this season, I'd bet there's more Duke fans there than SU fans last night.

Did SU fans in the NYC metro area know that South Carolina would be better than UConn 2 months ago? Duke is playing at the Garden tonight for the second time this season, I'd bet there's more Duke fans there than SU fans last night.

It was South Carolina's super bowl.

No, but I've never played a sport half assed because of who my opponent was.

That's awesome, we could've used you last night.

Not sure what you're debating, the inability to build on an 11 point lead or playing an opponent who desperately needed it while we just need to get our act together before conference play.

That's awesome, we could've used you last night.

Not sure what you're debating, the inability to build on an 11 point lead or playing an opponent who desperately needed it while we just need to get our act together before conference play.

You don't think we desperately needed a win?

We have plenty of chances coming up for signature wins. Avoiding a bad loss would be nice.

Duke is the Notre Dame of college hoop. They ain't bussing kids 5 hours to games either during the week.

Duke is the Notre Dame of college hoop. They ain't bussing kids 5 hours to games either during the week.
Look I understand you're defending our fanbase but you're basically saying that SU fans shouldn't prioritize games at MSG anymore because we play an unranked SEC team in Brooklyn a week earlier. I'm saying that it shouldn't matter who the opponent is, Duke on a Saturday night or Virginia Military Institute at noon on a Tuesday, there shouldn't be any empty seats at the Garden when we play there.

FWIW it looked fine on TV. The logistics of sending kids to that game seems a bit much considering the travel and what they have to look forward to at the Dome. Those empty seats behind the goal looked weird though.

Seems like we drew similar in Brooklyn the week before. :noidea:

I hate saying this. It was pathetic. UConn had more fans. I'd put it at 55/45 in favor of them. UConn had 4x as many loud, cheering, excited fans. SU fans looked like they were watching the women's layup contest at midnight madness.
It's true.
An usher told me at game time that it's supposed to be sold out but sure doesn't look it.

And the most noise SU fans made was when the guy hit the half court shot for $5,000 during one of the TV timeouts.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
McCuse

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom