Syracuse Crowd at MSG | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Syracuse Crowd at MSG

I hate saying this. It was pathetic. UConn had more fans. I'd put it at 55/45 in favor of them. UConn had 4x as many loud, cheering, excited fans. SU fans looked like they were watching the women's layup contest at midnight madness. UConn fans were watching like it was a Final Four game.

On the train on the way home from the game last night, I talked to some UConn students. UConn had shuttles from Storrs for the students, and these kids sat 5th row behind the basket for $15. The section behind the SU basket was 60% empty. Syracuse couldn't sell these tickets? Couldn't find a way to offer upgrades to SU fans who got tickets? I bought 24 tickets for this game and brought friends and coworkers. If SU knew these tickets were being wasted, why not call me up (season ticket holder) and move 24 bodies into the Syracuse section in the lower level? Why couldn't SU get 10 busloads of students down for this game? I can't believe the game wasn't sold out. I'd put it at 75% capacity, with most of the vacant seats in the SU sections.

It was pretty embarrassing wearing orange on the way out of the arena. The team played with no sense of urgency, like it was a pre-season scrimmage. UConn played like their season depended on it, because it probably did. I understand that UConn might not have many opportunities for quality wins, but the players' effort, the lack of coaching adjustments, and the fan support was absolutely terrible last night.

Rant over, for now.
I thought it was 60/40 UConn and with no cheerleaders band or student section it sounded worse. SU did a horrible job on not getting these folks to the game.

It's their Super Bowl. They have a steady diet of ECU and directional Florida's coming up.

If the shoe was on the other foot it would've been ours.

Well, that's just your own thinking and, therefore, your resultant rationalization. If that makes this putrid defeat easier to digest for you, that's great, but it doesn't make it universally & comprehensively true.

That Super Bowl victor last night defeated a team whose RPI is at 167, with a SOS of 200. So, I guess they can take that glorious SB victory for what it's actually worth.

Well, that's just your own thinking and, therefore, your resultant rationalization. If that makes this putrid defeat easier to digest for you, that's great, but it doesn't make it universally & comprehensively true.

That Super Bowl victor last night defeated a team whose RPI is at 167, with a SOS of 200. So, I guess they can take that glorious SB victory for what it's actually worth.
whoa resultant rationalization! the doc is in, ladies and gents!

I hate saying this. It was pathetic. UConn had more fans. I'd put it at 55/45 in favor of them. UConn had 4x as many loud, cheering, excited fans. SU fans looked like they were watching the women's layup contest at midnight madness. UConn fans were watching like it was a Final Four game.

On the train on the way home from the game last night, I talked to some UConn students. UConn had shuttles from Storrs for the students, and these kids sat 5th row behind the basket for $15. The section behind the SU basket was 60% empty. Syracuse couldn't sell these tickets? Couldn't find a way to offer upgrades to SU fans who got tickets? I bought 24 tickets for this game and brought friends and coworkers. If SU knew these tickets were being wasted, why not call me up (season ticket holder) and move 24 bodies into the Syracuse section in the lower level? Why couldn't SU get 10 busloads of students down for this game? I can't believe the game wasn't sold out. I'd put it at 75% capacity, with most of the vacant seats in the SU sections.

It was pretty embarrassing wearing orange on the way out of the arena. The team played with no sense of urgency, like it was a pre-season scrimmage. UConn played like their season depended on it, because it probably did. I understand that UConn might not have many opportunities for quality wins, but the players' effort, the lack of coaching adjustments, and the fan support was absolutely terrible last night.

Rant over, for now.
guys, it was only a matter of time before someone had to post about how much the crowd sucked. I mean come on it is protocol after a loss. especially some dude that just had his feelings hurt watching a loss. boo-hoo, the crowd was fine just stop it.

grepal said:
I thought it was 60/40 UConn and with no cheerleaders band or student section it sounded worse. SU did a horrible job on not getting these folks to the game.

I'm not sure they wanted to. I don't know about uconn but at SU finals start Monday and reviews are going on this week. A 4 1/2 hour ride each way on a Monday having to leave by 12-1 and getting back at 2am might not have been wise.

We have plenty of chances coming up for signature wins. Avoiding a bad loss would be nice.
Too late for that... last night was worse than a "bad loss". UConn's RPI is 200+, and it isn't going to get much higher winning games in the AAC.

Rant over, for now.

I thought we had more fans, barely, but their's were louder. 4x louder is about right. They outclassed us in every way.

I hate that SU doesn't send the band and cheerleaders to these games. It's bothered me for years.

It's the Syracuse alumni super bowl too. They never trek north for a game.

That's not true. Syracuse hotels are often packed with alumni who travel north for games.

guys, it was only a matter of time before someone had to post about how much the crowd sucked. I mean come on it is protocol after a loss. especially some dude that just had his feelings hurt watching a loss. boo-hoo, the crowd was fine just stop it.

I was there and can pretty much vouch for the OP. Granted I was pretty much smack dab in a Storrs section unfortunately where it was 80/20 them, but overall it was a very disappointing showing to me. The SU student section behind the basket was essentially empty compared to Yukon's side, which was filled to capacity. I'd say at best it was 60-40. It was also obvious that there were a lot of current (loud) Yukon students -- they pulled the stops for this game.

Rant over, for now.
Preach it brother!

Did SU fans in the NYC metro area know that South Carolina would be better than UConn 2 months ago? Duke is playing at the Garden tonight for the second time this season, I'd bet there's more Duke fans there than SU fans last night.
Subway alums.

Duke basketball = ND football (without the rosary beads).

Really guys, why are we arguing over attendance at an out of town Monday night game that was actually closer to out opponent's backyard than ours? Holy Cripes, are we ever some pissed!

I might need a second cup of coffee. One program has a chance to beat Duke, Carolina, Louisville, Virginia coming up. The other program got their cover done for next year's media guide.

We have plenty of chances to make up for this one.

Really guys, why are we arguing over attendance at an out of town Monday night game that was actually closer to out opponent's backyard than ours? Holy Cripes, are we ever some pissed!

To everyone's defense, MSG is the Carrier Dome south, or so the talking heads would tell you.

The only thing more shocking than the awful level of play from both teams was the size of the crowd.

15K for UConn-Syracuse in MSG? Maybe the citizens of the NYC metro area knew what was going to happen and smartly avoided having to watch that mess.

It was the mother of all rock fights.

I mean we claim this with an ad budget cant we at least try to live up to it?

Syracuse2.png

The only thing more shocking than the awful level of play from both teams was the size of the crowd.

15K for UConn-Syracuse in MSG? Maybe the citizens of the NYC metro area knew what was going to happen and smartly avoided having to watch that mess.

It was the mother of all rock fights.
You must've missed our epic tussle with BU. Pretty good crowd for a Monday with finals coming up, can understand why you didn't have too many students. As far as Duke goes, the Jimmy V Classic sells out no matter who is playing. Except for the level of play, felt like an old Big East game.

To everyone's defense, MSG is the Carrier Dome south, or so the talking heads would tell you.

Yeah, the same dorks who all parrot the "Syracuse doesn't leave home until after Christmas" line. :D

I've spent the last 5 months describing the atmosphere that my group of 5 Alaskans, my brother, and his girlfriend would experience in the first MSG trip. I explained to them that it would be even more intense being Cuse-UConn. I made every single one of them watch the 30for30, and Orange Glory, to get them pumped for it.

They saw none of that. I don't even think we had a LGO chant that lasted more than 5 seconds.

That being said.. Even with the loss, they all had an amazing time. SU made 2 new Cuse fans, as my friend and his wife from Alaska caught their first game.