Syracuse Draft Watch 2019 | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Syracuse Draft Watch 2019

I understand that but I think players are generally wrong when they say this stuff. If he’s claiming he can run a 4.48 right now, I feel pretty confident he lands in the 4.5’s. 4.5’s at his size will raise eyebrows regardless

Nice. More good reviews for Slayton from the Wednesday session.

2019 East-West Shrine Game: Wednesday's East Team Practice Report

By Charlie Campbell - @draftcampbell
  • The stars of the East practice on Wednesday were the defensive linemen. Most notably among them was Syracuse defensive tackle Chris Slayton, who is probably the best player at the East-West Shrine this week. Slayton has dominated in the pass rushing one-on-ones using speed, leverage and strength to consistently get the better of the offensive linemen. The 6-foot-4, 310-pound Slayton has shown the ability to play a variety of techniques on the defensive line with versatility to fit any NFL defense. The athletic Slayton does a fantastic job of staying low and playing with good leverage while also utilizing the length that comes with his frame. Slayton's strong week could have him going in the second or third round of the 2019 NFL Draft.
WalterFootball.com: 2019 East-West Shrine Game Practice Report

• The stars of the East practice on Wednesday were the defensive linemen. Most notably among them was Syracuse defensive tackle Chris Slayton, who is probably the best player at the East-West Shrine this week. Slayton has dominated in the pass rushing one-on-ones using speed, leverage and strength to consistently get the better of the offensive linemen. The 6-foot-4, 310-pound Slayton has shown the ability to play a variety of techniques on the defensive line with versatility to fit any NFL defense. The athletic Slayton does a fantastic job of staying low and playing with good leverage while also utilizing the length that comes with his frame. Slayton's strong week could have him going in the second or third round of the 2019 NFL Draft.

Holy hell that would be amazing if he actually goes in the 2nd or 3rd. I'm not sure I really buy that, but certainly hope so!

Holy hell that would be amazing if he actually goes in the 2nd or 3rd. I'm not sure I really buy that, but certainly hope so!

I've always thought he is a 3rd rounder. Above average against the run, has better pass rush moves for an inside guy than we've seen throughout the collegiate season due to constant double teams. Pretty easy to see him as a big piece of a DT rotation immediately.

Custis having a strong week as a WR is not something I personally expected from the East-West Shrine Game.

Yes, at this point, I see no reason why Custis should not be drawing comparisons to arguably the best punt coverage guy ever and a 5 time all pro

All that matters is one team believes that. Meanwhile, I'm flipping through ATV catalogs.

I've always thought he is a 3rd rounder. Above average against the run, has better pass rush moves for an inside guy than we've seen throughout the collegiate season due to constant double teams. Pretty easy to see him as a big piece of a DT rotation immediately.

Custis having a strong week as a WR is not something I personally expected from the East-West Shrine Game.

Hard to say for sure because of how deep the DT class is, so he isn't rated among the top 10 DTs by anybody as far as I know. Charlie Campbell, the guy that mentioned him as a potential 2nd or 3rd round pick now, had him rated as the #22 DT coming into the week with a 4-6th round project. Todd McShay has him rated as the #245 prospect in the draft, meaning that if everyone were drafted in that exact order, he'd be a 7th round pick. I don't think he's been on anybody's radar as a Day 2 pick at all up until that report from Campbell.

That's why it's going to hurt not having him on the line next year and why we need more bodies to snap in. Congrats to him that all the hard work is paying off. Hopefully it will translate into the projected early round selection. Good stuff!!

I would love to see multiple Syracuse players get drafted. It shows hard work pays off and shows recruits they can make the next level

Hard to say for sure because of how deep the DT class is, so he isn't rated among the top 10 DTs by anybody as far as I know. Charlie Campbell, the guy that mentioned him as a potential 2nd or 3rd round pick now, had him rated as the #22 DT coming into the week with a 4-6th round project. Todd McShay has him rated as the #245 prospect in the draft, meaning that if everyone were drafted in that exact order, he'd be a 7th round pick. I don't think he's been on anybody's radar as a Day 2 pick at all up until that report from Campbell.

I know you know this from conversations on the basketball board about draft guys, but utilizing the draft prognosticators, while they are the best at what they do publically, are almost throwing things at the wall to see what sticks at this stage of the draft process. I can't talk with certainty about NFL scouting processes, but have experience with MLB teams and have area scouts as friends. We'd always laugh at things the draft guys would write and their write-ups because things just don't make sense that they would write in reports (and in baseball, there is a definite follow the pack in terms of public rankings).

Similarly, that's why I say I've always thought he is a 3rd rounder. In the end, the right to draft players allows your opinion on a guy to be the one that matters. Doesn't mean I am right or wrong (not like I am qualified to evaluate NFL talent, even if I am right - it isn't for the right reasons), just what my entirely flawed thoughts are. I note the tools I see above, but he is essentially a plug and play for rotation in the NFL with my view at a desirable position. He's not a plug and play starter like some of the first and second rounders you expect to be impact dudes. The scale I use for NFL draft rounds are 1-2 = instant impact, 3-4 = plug and play depth, 5-7 = upside project/fill out roster numbers.

I view Conway and Custis (more for specials) as 6th-7th rounders.

I know you know this from conversations on the basketball board about draft guys, but utilizing the draft prognosticators, while they are the best at what they do publically, are almost throwing things at the wall to see what sticks at this stage of the draft process. I can't talk with certainty about NFL scouting processes, but have experience with MLB teams and have area scouts as friends. We'd always laugh at things the draft guys would write and their write-ups because things just don't make sense that they would write in reports (and in baseball, there is a definite follow the pack in terms of public rankings).

Similarly, that's why I say I've always thought he is a 3rd rounder. In the end, the right to draft players allows your opinion on a guy to be the one that matters. Doesn't mean I am right or wrong (not like I am qualified to evaluate NFL talent, even if I am right - it isn't for the right reasons), just what my entirely flawed thoughts are. I note the tools I see above, but he is essentially a plug and play for rotation in the NFL with my view at a desirable position. He's not a plug and play starter like some of the first and second rounders you expect to be impact dudes. The scale I use for NFL draft rounds are 1-2 = instant impact, 3-4 = plug and play depth, 5-7 = upside project/fill out roster numbers.

I view Conway and Custis (more for specials) as 6th-7th rounders.

Ah gotcha. Didn't realize you simply meant that you personally view Slayton as a 3rd round prospect rather than meaning that's how he's generally viewed already.

Yup Custis was really good on ST’s. With his size and straight line speed I can see him sticking with a team as a late round draft pick or have plenty of UDFA options

Yeah, if he has a good camp, he'll get drafted. He has the toolset, speed and size... Teams will want him... Whether he makes the cut out of an NFL preseason is a whole different matter. His problems are focus and consistency... But his ST play Will certainly help.

I thought potentially 3rd round and he literally was doubled all year and when he wasn’t doubled he made a play. Rarely gets blocked one on one. Potential stud in nfl.

What % of snaps was Slayton doubled this season? I feel like his job all season was to contain and occupy blockers, which he seemed to do masterfully.

He may start to get big numbers in the NFL where they won't be double-teaming him, at least at the start.