Syracuse Elite basketball camp slated for Wednesday at the Melo Center | Syracusefan.com

Syracuse Elite basketball camp slated for Wednesday at the Melo Center

The absence of Jermaine Lawrence is disappointing.

Sterling Taplin is a 6'2 185 pound shooting guard from Williamsville North, just outside of Buffalo. He has offers from UB and Boston University. Member of the Albany City Rocks AAU team.

Dream schools are Michigan State and Syracuse. Wake Forest and SU are looking at him...Wake's connection is Tyler Cavenaugh, who also played for Albany City and is friends with Sterling.

Flashy player who looks like he can do everything well: fine athlete and shooter, good handle, excellent passer. I like him a lot.

Sterling Taplin is a 6'2 185 pound shooting guard from Williamsville North, just outside of Buffalo. He has offers from UB and Boston University. Member of the Albany City Rocks AAU team.

Dream schools are Michigan State and Syracuse. Wake Forest and SU are looking at him...Wake's connection is Tyler Cavenaugh, who also played for Albany City and is friends with Sterling.

Flashy player who looks like he can do everything well: fine athlete and shooter, good handle, excellent passer. I like him a lot.

Tom - not sure it's disappointing about Lawrence. It sounds like he and handlers maybe going in a different direction ($$$), so maybe it's best SU stay away from that. There are other kids out there to be had that are right up there that you don't have to pay for.

Tom - not sure it's disappointing about Lawrence. It sounds like he and handlers maybe going in a different direction ($$$), so maybe it's best SU stay away from that. There are other kids out there to be had that are right up there that you don't have to pay for.

I don't disagree but I am still disappointed. Skill wise, he would have been a perfect fit for the Syracuse program.

From that description, Taplin sounds a lot like the kid from the Albany area who ended up at Penn State a few years ago.

So what we are saying is that everybody knows certain schools are paying players. Is the NCAA investigating?

So should we run every time a recruitment gets difficult? Every top recruit will have people in their lives trying to manipulate the situation for what ever reason. Maybe so fans don't have the stomach to follow recruiting champions don't run at the first sign of trouble. JB and his teams are pros if was easy everybody would have 890 wins and counting

I'll take him just because he shares my first name lol

So should we run every time a recruitment gets difficult? Every top recruit will have people in their lives trying to manipulate the situation for what ever reason. Maybe so fans don't have the stomach to follow recruiting champions don't run at the first sign of trouble. JB and his teams are pros if was easy everybody would have 890 wins and counting
I totally agree. When you go after the top guys, there will be some dirt flying. Not every kid is going to make his choice based on the dirt. If the staff can build a strong relationship with the player and sell him on their ability to develop his skills and character.

From that description, Taplin sounds a lot like the kid from the Albany area who ended up at Penn State a few years ago.
Taran Buie I believe was his name..I dont think he panned out at penn state and ended up transfering

Taran Buie I believe was his name..I dont think he panned out at penn state and ended up transfering

I was actually thinking of his older brother, Battle.

I remember when people wanted Buie over Triche because of upside.

I thought that too... Didn't think it had anything to do with shady ness...
The ankle injury may have contributed to him not playing in the Elite 24 or visiting SU (he still could have come up here, as one other recruit did who was injured). The 'handlers' situation is totally different ... meaning that SU was the only high major in the picture until UCLA and D'Leauge U mysteriously appeared 1-2 weeks ago with virtually no prior recruiting history with him -- and he suddenly decided to "delay" his decision. That is generally not a good sign.

Didn't say that - when certain schools starting shelling out $$$ to handlers, parents, etc., it's time to step away from that. This way if the NCAA comes sniffing there a@@ will be grass and NCAA will be the lawnmower.

Didn't say that - when certain schools starting shelling out $$$ to handlers, parents, etc., it's time to step away from that. This way if the NCAA comes sniffing there a@@ will be grass and NCAA will be the lawnmower.

Agreed! Not suggesting that we stoop to that level, but we can't run every time a kid stops to listen to the offer either. It will play itself out and it is what it is.

Agreed! Not suggesting that we stoop to that level, but we can't run every time a kid stops to listen to the offer either. It will play itself out and it is what it is.
If the kid has a handler that he really believes in, then it's like talking to the wall. About all you can do is let the kid know that you are there, want him to come and then walk away. If he wants to let the handler make his decisions for him, you know where and how it's going to end up.

If the kid has a handler that he really believes in, then it's like talking to the wall. About all you can do is let the kid know that you are there, want him to come and then walk away. If he wants to let the handler make his decisions for him, you know where and how it's going to end up.

Handlers that he really believes in aren't late to the scene and relationships change in a moments notice.

Is everyone just speculating here or is this based on some factual information?

Albany City Rocks also had '14 Tyler Lydon , '13 Chinoso Obokuh , '14 Stanley Foster , ' 15 Zach Radz in attendance for camp .