Syracuse Football 2017 Wide Receivers/HB's | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Syracuse Football 2017 Wide Receivers/HB's

Sure, it is "an opportunity" and there are no guarantees. The same is true for the true frosh and our returning players who have yet to make a mark on the field (Butler, Custis). And that is the major point -- there is plenty of opportunity for an upgrade compared to what we have.

Consider, the grad transfers available to Babers by late Spring won't be just the guys who have already announced. When did you know about Etta Tawo or the DEs who became available (Sherrod who we lost to MSU, Wilson who came here)?

Wilson didn't upgrade the spot and Sherrod - a 1AA transfer - did nothing on a bad Michigan State. I think it's a reach to automatically think Syracuse can upgrade any position. Most transfers, Corey Winfield and AT being the exceptions, are not front line starters. Kids looking to transfer are likely non-starters and want one last chance. AT we got lucky on a kid who just wanted to play in a passing offense. Maybe we get lucky again.

RB Gus would be an upgrade at RB but barring the unforeseen Miami has denied his release to Syracuse.

WR Jeff Badet would be a nice addition but at 6-0 180 is he a slot? I assume there'll be some stiff competition for him as well.

WR Corey Holmes? nice name but not much production

I disagree with most of that. Look, we just upgraded the defense with Butler at CB, and 3 jucos. Landed a top TE. Many posters here claimed we couldn't land jucos, or should not do it -- Babers just did.

There is a strong chance (in my opinion) that Babers will use the 5 or 6 scholarships he has. And he will surprise you. Wait and see.

Wilson didn't upgrade the spot and Sherrod - a 1AA transfer - did nothing on a bad Michigan State. I think it's a reach to automatically think Syracuse can upgrade any position. Most transfers, Corey Winfield and AT being the exceptions, are not front line starters. Kids looking to transfer are likely non-starters and want one last chance. AT we got lucky on a kid who just wanted to play in a passing offense. Maybe we get lucky again.

RB Gus would be an upgrade at RB but barring the unforeseen Miami has denied his release to Syracuse.

WR Jeff Badet would be a nice addition but at 6-0 180 is he a slot? I assume there'll be some stiff competition for him as well.

WR Corey Holmes? nice name but not much production

Wilson was fine and was a guy with experience that got a sack and caused a fumble to seal the VaTech game. I'd call him an upgrade over the freshman there. I wouldn't say it was a significant upgrade. But I'm glad we had him.

I don't believe in luck when it comes to recruiting - you put yourself in the best position by knowing as much as you can about your system and the guy you're recruiting. AET was a good fit and I think Babers could have predicted a great deal of his success. Same with Wilson (I don't think he thought he was going to be the second coming of Freeney, but an experienced guy with a grad transfer body > freshman, generally).

I'd also expect both ND transfers to start or at the very least make the two-deep for us this year on D.

Wilson was fine and was a guy with experience that got a sack and caused a fumble to seal the VaTech game. I'd call him an upgrade over the freshman there. I wouldn't say it was a significant upgrade. But I'm glad we had him.

I don't believe in luck when it comes to recruiting - you put yourself in the best position by knowing as much as you can about your system and the guy you're recruiting. AET was a good fit and I think Babers could have predicted a great deal of his success. Same with Wilson (I don't think he thought he was going to be the second coming of Freeney, but an experienced guy with a grad transfer body > freshman, generally).

I'd also expect both ND transfers to start or at the very least make the two-deep for us this year on D.

The 1 ND kid is a grad-transfer, and yes I think he'll do well. We lost a starter we gained a starter. The other kid is a JUCO. The conversation started out as discussing grad-transfers.

If we had had any DE depth Wilson never would've seen the field.

The 1 ND kid is a grad-transfer, and yes I think he'll do well. We lost a starter we gained a starter. The other kid is a JUCO. The conversation started out as discussing grad-transfers.

But this is the point -- we did not have any DE depth after we lost Sheppard & Ealey. So, it was a position of need, and Babers landed a 5th year DE.
We have a similar situation at one of the outside receiver spots and one inside receiver spot, 5 open scholarships, and a HC who can sell the opportunity.
The conversation started out as projecting which guys on the current roster or true frosh will fill these spots. My flip on that -- good chance Babers won't settle for just that.

But this is the point -- we did not have any DE depth after we lost Sheppard & Ealey. So, it was a position of need, and Babers landed a 5th year DE.
We have a similar situation at one of the outside receiver spots and one inside receiver spot, 5 open scholarships, and a HC who can sell the opportunity.
The conversation started out as projecting which guys on the current roster or true frosh will fill these spots. My flip on that -- good chance Babers won't settle for just that.
Depending on the Nelson situation and where Pickard and Ruff end up position-wise, we may need another 5th year guy on DL.

Depending on the Nelson situation and where Pickard and Ruff end up position-wise, we may need another 5th year guy on DL.

Yes -- this thread was about WRs and RBs, but our 4 - 8 team has a lot of opportunities for upgrades.
Babers is holding 5 scholarships in the current cycle.

Just checked back on Amba Etta-Tawo's decision to transfer. First reported on March 1.

Just checked back on Amba Etta-Tawo's decision to transfer. First reported on March 1.
And Wilson was like July 2. There's been about 1 day for the last month, with a blip around signing day.

Agree, just think Pickard doesnt have the juice at DE to make an impact. Disappointing. Wasn't he also offered by wisky?

My bad - thought we were talking transfers in general.

Since we didn't have any depth at DE, Wilson's experience and 20+ body was needed - hence an upgrade at the spot.