Syracuse football defensive line must find new leadership after Chris Slayton (DL Preview) | Syracusefan.com

Syracuse football defensive line must find new leadership after Chris Slayton (DL Preview)

bigmike

Connoisseur of head and legroom.
Gotta add Ishmael Gouldbourne into the new faces mix. Love his potential.

All4SU

Still Living Legend
Good article. I’m not sure what is more amazing.,, that only three teams in the country had more sacks than SU last season (Clemson, Alabama and PedSt), or that last year was the first time SU has had two double-digit sack players since 1985 (Green and Kimmel). And Slayton had 9.5 sacks too. That’s mind-boggling. What an amazing job HCDB and staff have done with the DL. Stunning!

Last edited:

texascpa

Living Legend
Good article. I’m not sure what is more amazing.,, that only three teams in the country had more sacks than SU last season (Clemson, Alabama and PedSt), or that last year was the first time SU has had two double-digit sack players since 1985 (Green and Kimmel). And Slayton had 9.5 sacks too. That’s mind-boggling. What an amazing job HCDB and staff have done with the DL. Stunning!

And yet, how often was our line compared nationally to Clemson's and Alabama's last year? that's right, zero.

sufandu

Living Legend
I think the 9.5 sacks was over the course of his whole career, wasn't it?

PhatOrange

Living Legend

I said at the beginning of last season the DL had the potential to be the best Syracuse DLine ever. A couple of people scoffed - GoSU ;-) - oh ye of little faith. I wasn't too far off.

CU44SE

Starter
Reading this article Im excited, but also worried. Excited that this line will be a monster this year. Extremely worried however because of how many seniors are graduating and not many underclassmen to fill spots. Will probably need some JUCO's next year.

sdhall01

Former back-to-back-to-back Cali Award winner
Reading this article Im excited, but also worried. Excited that this line will be a monster this year. Extremely worried however because of how many seniors are graduating and not many underclassmen to fill spots. Will probably need some JUCO's next year.

We took 6 DL last season; I think we'll be ok.

Cuse#1

Starter
when it comes to our defensive line I think we will be fine and better than we have ever been. Sure losing Chris Slayton will be a loss, but the other guys will pick up the slack and just the amount of athleticism and talent that we we have now, it's just better than we've ever been in my opinion. :)

Sudano

Starter
Gotta add Ishmael Gouldbourne into the new faces mix. Love his potential.
Not for this year. He's 200lbs. For the future definately but freshman rarely start in general and more specifically on the line.

Sudano

Starter
We took 6 DL last season; I think we'll be ok.
Its the DTs I'm worried about. We have alot of young DL recruits but they are very skinny with most projecting as DE's. Don't underestimate experience too. Too many RF linemen is a recipe for disaster. Thinking Calub O. may grow into one but we really don't have experienced DT help for 2020 and 2021. Maybe a grad Transfer to help us out to bridge the gap between this yr DTs graduating and our young freshmen for next yr.

sdhall01

Its the DTs I'm worried about. We have alot of young DL recruits but they are very skinny with most projecting as DE's. Don't underestimate experience too. Too many RF linemen is a recipe for disaster. Thinking Calub O. may grow into one but we really don't have experienced DT help for 2020 and 2021. Maybe a grad Transfer to help us out to bridge the gap between this yr DTs graduating and our young freshmen for next yr.

Although, to be fair, we took two DTs and we have Caleb O and Curtis Harper (who admittedly hasn't done anything). I'd also expect at least one of the other DE Recruits (maybe Dawson) to grow into a DT.

Orangtiz

Starter
Gunter would have been real nice to keep. Stinks he left for State.

Sudano

Starter
Although, to be fair, we took two DTs and we have Caleb O and Curtis Harper (who admittedly hasn't done anything). I'd also expect at least one of the other DE Recruits (maybe Dawson) to grow into a DT.
Me too. I also think Tuazama will be one too but to go from 235 to 280 where we need him may take 3 yrs. What do we do in the meantime. Watching the new practice sessions we all know why C.Harper isn't making it. Everyone around him are solid large men and he looks like a big tub of goo. We all have to admit there is a possibility or likelihood that we may have a gap in experienced, fully physically mature DL for a year or two.

sdhall01

Me too. I also think Tuazama will be one too but to go from 235 to 280 where we need him may take 3 yrs. What do we do in the meantime. Watching the new practice sessions we all know why C.Harper isn't making it. Everyone around him are solid large men and he looks like a big tub of goo. We all have to admit there is a possibility or likelihood that we may have a gap in experienced, fully physically mature DL for a year or two.

You might be right, but I think some of this is mitigated by the fact that Josh Black has two more years.

kcsu

Living Legend
There is no doubt we need to bring in a true ready grown arse dt next year. We need a run stuffing block eating refrigerator in the middle. Too bad Davis doesn't play D. 6'5/ 345 wouldn't hurt.

Finwad32

Hall of Fame
Anybody “find it” in the picture of Jake Pickard and crew in the PS article?
B37647B0-1335-446E-8351-9EB42A71377B.jpeg

Last edited: