Syracuse football vs family obligations | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Syracuse football vs family obligations

Only have boys, leave wife at home and take them with you. I give my 2 boys about 15-20 min in the bouncy house before each home game, they are thrilled when i say it's gameday. For away games, learn to cook game food and make it creative. Wings for dad, whatever the wife wants, football shaped pb&j for the kids with some football oreos and SU plastic cups. Put kids in 44 jersey, now it's no longer dad just wants to watch the football game but dad is spending quality time with the kids. Do I always see every play? No, kids are distracting, but I see every game live.

If all else fails, have a game day party and invite her friends and their families. Women usually congregate and pay no attention to the men, kids keep each other busy, guys concentrate on the game. Just don't invite the one friend who's husband thinks college sports is a waste and wants to tell you how all that money should be spent on scholarships for academically superior students(he is annoying and obviously knows nothing).

My wife and I are both grads of SU, so gametime is always a family event. My father-in-law also is an SU grad, so we can get away with watching SU whenever it's a family outing on that side. Sports have always been big on my side of the family and my dad is a big SU fan having lived in CNY for a good amount of time and watching Jim Brown and Ernie Davis play at SU.

As for getting around kids' events, I was lucky enough that my kids were doing the youth sports things during the dark period for SU football. I still got to watch most of the games that I couldn't attend in person, but we sucked so bad during that period that I wasn't heartbroken if I missed a half of football.

I guess my answer is pretty simple: be born into the right family and then marry right.