Syracuse football vs family obligations | Syracusefan.com

Syracuse football vs family obligations

SF Cuse

Walk On
Would appreciate tips on how to free up time on Saturdays to watch the Orange. Reading other posts of balancing children's activities and man cave time got me wondering how others handle this.

For family vacations I've suggested the weekends (open dates) of Sept 28th and Oct 26th would be good. I've also noted that I always wanted to visit Georgia and mentioned that Oct 19th (Georgia Tech) would be a good time.

Any other suggestions?

This is probably sacrilege here but I dvr a ton and watch later. I've found it better to do the family stuff and then have total focus later vs trying to watch with kids doing kids things in my midst.

Obviously, real time and solo is optimal to watch (for those of us who live far away) but I often don't have 15 minutes of time to myself, much less 3-4 hours. I prefer to push off watching and completely avoid Internet/social media vs watch at anything less than 100% attention.

Give up some other things to "earn" cuse time. Go above and beyond in non cuse time. Also look for opportunities to turn cuse time into seemingly less selfish things.

I'm going to metlife with my aunt, to whom I owe my cuse fanhood, and a buddy from work. The wife and boys are heading to visit her family that day so now I'm spending time with family and she won't be at home and thinking I should be there. I have a sister in Atlanta that we've been dying to visit. I of course tried to make this happen on ga tech gake week but alas it was not meant to be and will happen over thanksgiving. Thus I miss cuse vs gatech and any chance of cuse v bc at the dome. Tradeoff for that gained me a free pass for Clemson weekend with my cousin. Bonus is I will be at the ga tech v uga game in Atlanta with my oldest son and my uga alum brother in law. I get to say it's because he wants to go, and he gets to be the good uncle in taking my son and I. It's a delicate balancing act but it can be done without looking entirely selfish in the process. This all played out pretty well but I was mentally prepping for the hurdles I might face months in advance.

Cuse tourney runs have now become a fixture at my aunts house as well to the point that my wife actually plans them. Needless to say, I married way above my league and she's excepted cuse fanhood as a big part of me.

This is probably sacrilege here but I dvr a ton and watch later. I've found it better to do the family stuff and then have total focus later vs trying to watch with kids doing kids things in my midst.

Obviously, real time and solo is optimal to watch (for those of us who live far away) but I often don't have 15 minutes of time to myself, much less 3-4 hours. I prefer to push off watching and completely avoid Internet/social media vs watch at anything less than 100% attention.
Totally get the DVR. Being on the west coast, most games fall during the kids soccer games. Takes a discipline not to check the score online or fast forward when we're not looking good on D - I don't always have that discipline.

I have been able to stay sane and married by only following college sports and SU specifically close. NFL Sundays/NBA/MLB and Hockey never took priority...College Saturday was usually my day and my wife generally knows to leave my alone or she'll get a lot of grunts and huh-huhs answering her questions and requests when the Orange is on.

I signed up for dishanywhere.com so I can watch my DVR through my iPad and iPhone through sling technology.

Give up some other things to "earn" cuse time. Go above and beyond in non cuse time. Also look for opportunities to turn cuse time into seemingly less selfish things.

I'm going to metlife with my aunt, to whom I owe my cuse fanhood, and a buddy from work. The wife and boys are heading to visit her family that day so now I'm spending time with family and she won't be at home and thinking I should be there. I have a sister in Atlanta that we've been dying to visit. I of course tried to make this happen on ga tech gake week but alas it was not meant to be and will happen over thanksgiving. Thus I miss cuse vs gatech and any chance of cuse v bc at the dome. Tradeoff for that gained me a free pass for Clemson weekend with my cousin. Bonus is I will be at the ga tech v uga game in Atlanta with my oldest son and my uga alum brother in law. I get to say it's because he wants to go, and he gets to be the good uncle in taking my son and I. It's a delicate balancing act but it can be done without looking entirely selfish in the process. This all played out pretty well but I was mentally prepping for the hurdles I might face months in advance.

Cuse tourney runs have now become a fixture at my aunts house as well to the point that my wife actually plans them. Needless to say, I married way above my league and she's excepted cuse fanhood as a big part of me.
Think that's the key - map it all out well in advance and still look like a good guy.

Would appreciate tips on how to free up time on Saturdays to watch the Orange. Reading other posts of balancing children's activities and man cave time got me wondering how others handle this.

For family vacations I've suggested the weekends (open dates) of Sept 28th and Oct 26th would be good. I've also noted that I always wanted to visit Georgia and mentioned that Oct 19th (Georgia Tech) would be a good time.

Any other suggestions?

Kids love clubs. Have your kids join this one and enjoy quality family time together with your SU family.

http://www.suathletics.com/news/2013/8/8/FB_0808135902.aspx

Any other suggestions?

The best thing you can do is somehow figure out a way to turn your wife into a big-time Cuse fan. All women are different, so that is on you to figure out.

I will say when your wife (and kids) become in love with Syracuse, you can turn it into a great family bonding time. My wife knew the Dome schedule as soon as it came out and started booking babysitters so we could both go (or so she could go ;)). We have a 1 yr old so I am in a different situation, but we fully intend on bringing her with us to the games ASAP. In fact, we already have about 25 people on a list for a big-time tailgate/trip at Clemson next year (2014).

K, great talk. Go get 'em.

I don't have kids but I can tell you how it worked with my dad growing up. When I was a kid not quite as many games were on tv (80's-early 90's), but when he wasn't working (he missed most early games because he worked six days a week most of the time), he watched what he wanted when he wanted, no questions asked. He built up enough equity to do that by busting his ass in a hot smelly factory.

Conclusion: Work a miserable job to support your family, and they won't question your leisure time. That's the best I got.

Calling The Kaiser. KaiserUEO, please pick up the white courtesy phone. Cindy's dad needs some advice.

;)

Calling The Kaiser. KaiserUEO, please pick up the white courtesy phone. Cindy's dad needs some advice.

;)
ha! put the kids in front of the tv an turn on disney jr, fill up a bunch of sippy cups and put them in the fridge, move cookie jar to the floor...enjoy the game.

speaking of kids, you going to the ped st nambla lions??

ha! put the kids in front of the tv an turn on disney jr, fill up a bunch of sippy cups and put them in the fridge, move cookie jar to the floor...enjoy the game.

speaking of kids, you going to the ped st nambla lions??
I will be there. Took some machinations, as it's the wife's b'day, but mission accomplished. (How appropriate, in this thread). You there? I'll watch the board for lot location.

Kids get iPads, Daddy gets the TV.

Kids get to see Grandparents, my wife is my dome date.

I have been able to stay sane and married by only following college sports and SU specifically close. NFL Sundays/NBA/MLB and Hockey never took priority...College Saturday was usually my day and my wife generally knows to leave my alone or she'll get a lot of grunts and huh-huhs answering her questions and requests when the Orange is on.

Im the exact same.. Nothing but Cuse football, bball and lax. Ill occasionally watch cuse players in the pros if my wife is taking a nap on sundays haha.

Never ever allow a family member to get married in the fall.

Never take vacations, unless to attend games, between September and December.

Encourage your kids to play sports, but be sure to tell them, "I wish you luck Johnny, but if your game is the same time as the SU game, well, you're flying solo."

If you care for elderly in your home, and they're too old to wheel or drag up to the Dome, a good locked closet usually works. I mean it's not like they were going anywhere anyway. Slap the Depends on them, and throw in some cheese nips in there and they're good for 6 hours.

Try to practice good family planning, so that your kids' birthdays fall between May and early August.

Never allow a family funeral to be on game day. But if you have to, at least pick a funeral parlor close to the Dome, or consider and Irish Wake with some big screen TVs.

Never ever allow a family member to get married in the fall.

Never take vacations, unless to attend games, between September and December.

Encourage your kids to play sports, but be sure to tell them, "I wish you luck Johnny, but if your game is the same time as the SU game, well, you're flying solo."

If you care for elderly in your home, and they're too old to wheel or drag up to the Dome, a good locked closet usually works. I mean it's not like they were going anywhere anyway. Slap the Depends on them, and throw in some cheese nips in there and they're good for 6 hours.

Try to practice good family planning, so that your kids' birthdays fall between May and early August.

Never allow a family funeral to be on game day. But if you have to, at least pick a funeral parlor close to the Dome, or consider and Irish Wake with some big screen TVs.

th

th

Take a tip from JB's hiring of Rick Pitino, don't even let a wedding stand in the way of your commitment to the 'cuse.

I talk big but I DVR a lot as well.

I don't have any children so I don't understand...

If you think of it this way, there are potential 14 games, and we will round up to 4 hours per game. That is only 56 hours per year! That ends up being like .0063% of your year watching Syracuse Football. "Is that really a lot on the grand scheme of things hunny?"

Simple. My boys have been going to the dome since they were in diapers,literally. Wife simply had no choice as they were growing up. Awesome family bonding. To this day, when we call each other we always discuss the Orange first. We are all going to the Ped State game, the tradition continues! LGO!

I don't have any children so I don't understand...

If you think of it this way, there are potential 14 games, and we will round up to 4 hours per game. That is only 56 hours per year! That ends up being like .0063% of your year watching Syracuse Football. "Is that really a lot on the grand scheme of things hunny?"

Enjoy that while it lasts. I'm 261 miles from the Dome and have to alter both work and home schedules to make it happen. Even if I did drive up on game day there is 0 chance I could drive home afterwards. I go 100% in the dome and would't make it much more than 15 minutes driving after the fact.

I noticed SUfaninAZ liking a lot of these posts. Does that mean there's a bun in the oven? I demand answers.