Syracuse football will open spring practice with 60 scholarship players | Syracusefan.com

Syracuse football will open spring practice with 60 scholarship players

OrangeXtreme

The Mayor of Dewitt
Syracuse, N.Y. --- Signing day has passed, but while the Syracuse football team continues its winter strength program over the next few weeks, the attention turns toward spring ball.

Duke University, per tradition under coach David Cutcliffe, opens spring ball earlier than most programs. It starts practicing today.

So, to whet your palette for when the Orange resumes practice, we're going to give you a brief overview of the roster and what you'll see when the team wraps things up with the spring game in April...

Syracuse football will open spring practice with 60 scholarship players (roster reset)

Syracuse, N.Y. --- Signing day has passed, but while the Syracuse football team continues its winter strength program over the next few weeks, the attention turns toward spring ball.

Duke University, per tradition under coach David Cutcliffe, opens spring ball earlier than most programs. It starts practicing today.

So, to whet your palette for when the Orange resumes practice, we're going to give you a brief overview of the roster and what you'll see when the team wraps things up with the spring game in April...

Syracuse football will open spring practice with 60 scholarship players (roster reset)
Wouldn't those numbers be similar at all the schools for the most part who can take 25 players

Wouldn't those numbers be similar at all the schools for the most part who can take 25 players
All depends on how many early enrollees they can get. Saw a tweet the other day that Bama will have almost their entire 2017 class on campus for Spring practice as most were earlies.

Aaron Suttles ‏@AaronSuttles Feb 1
Alabama has 12 early enrollees on campus. It also has quite a few players who will enroll Feb. 13 during the spring interim session. #NSD17

We have one TE? One?
One currently on campus. A. Hackett arrives in the summer along with H-back/FB C. Elmore.

The PWO kid from Holy Cross might be on campus?

All depends on how many early enrollees they can get. Saw a tweet the other day that Bama will have almost their entire 2017 class on campus for Spring practice as most were earlies.

Alabama has 12 early enrollees on campus. It also has quite a few players who will enroll Feb. 13 during the spring interim session. #NSD17

Thats interesting. Ok, i will judge...just didnt see that many Bama recruits actually graduating hs that early and enrolling. Huge advantage.

Hard to believe since only 2 players signed their NLI before 2/1/17 and all of Syracuse's early guys signed theirs before the start of classes. They signed 25 players on 2/1/17 2 players still listed as committed. If these kids showed up on campus and started classes before signing they are taking a huge risk from Saban as he likes to boot players very often from what has been reported in the past

Hard to believe since only 2 players signed their NLI before 2/1/17 and all of Syracuse's early guys signed theirs before the start of classes. They signed 25 players on 2/1/17 2 players still listed as committed. If these kids showed up on campus and started classes before signing they are taking a huge risk from Saban as he likes to boot players very often from what has been reported in the past

I thought you could only have six or seven so what is the loophole

Wow...guess that is true. IMG of Florida had 20 of it's 21 players enroll early. Mich. had 11,Va Teck 9,OSU has 9 and so on for the big boys. Articles galore are calling this a back door early signing strategy for the big boys of college ball as the schools are not listing them as early guys until they sign.

Saban is using players on a new term to me of "Blue Shirting" which means if Saban doesn't go to the kids actual home for a visit and the kid never takes an official he can walk on and take a scholarship when one opens up for his class. But Saban has to have a player lose a scholarship from that class if they were at the limit for that year.These players attended multiple years at Alabama camps,so Saban was very aware of the kids on a personal level.

This maybe the reason why the NCAA might allow early signing period to balance things out.

All of sudden top high school players are becoming Academic Scholars in a huge uptake this year. Even Oklahoma players have been declaring Personal Health and African-American studies as their majors.

Something tells me the NCAA might start going over these kids high school transcripts very hard like they did with the online courses the SEC schools used very frequently a few years back.Guess what conference got the most players from IMG? IMG also claims that the players high school transcripts determines if they get to play for them,not their football skills...LOL.

It costs players $ 70,800 a year to attend the for-profit school which also receives $7 million in state funds. They started playing football in 2013 after spending, if you can believe this, $197 million on a stadium and facilities.

https://www.nytimes.com/2015/09/19/sports/football/high-school-football-inc.html?_r=0

This has really opened my eyes on how high school sports is now becoming a big business too.

Interesting list of sponsors ...Sponsors

Last edited:
Am I counting right? Only 12 seniors? 2018 could be special.

I just wonder how so many kids can actually get graduated early so easily? how do they get the eligible so easily when so many seem to late August getting thru the NCAA process.

Ervin Philips
Zaire Franklin
Steve Ishmael
Zach Mahoney
Jonathan Thomas
Parris Bennett
Cole Murphy
Donnie Foster
Jamar McGloster
Sean Avant
Devin Butler

Ervin Philips
Zaire Franklin
Steve Ishmael
Zach Mahoney
Jonathan Thomas
Parris Bennett
Cole Murphy
Donnie Foster
Jamar McGloster
Sean Avant
Devin Butler
11 NICE

Ervin Philips
Zaire Franklin
Steve Ishmael
Zach Mahoney
Jonathan Thomas
Parris Bennett
Cole Murphy
Donnie Foster
Jamar McGloster
Sean Avant
Devin Butler
Foster has two years of eligibility left.

Yes 2018 is the year we should take it to the next level and compete. The schedule imo, sets up nicely that year because can win 3 of our 4 conference road games.

@Notre Dame
UConn
Wagner

NC State
Florida State
Louisville
North Carolina

@ Pittsburgh
@ Clemson
@ Wake
@ Boston College

2 years out I believe we should be able to play with ND, NC State, LVille, UNC, Pitt, Wake and BC.

3-1 OOC with a fighting chance to knock off ND.

We can win 3 of 4 home games

We can win 3 of 4 road games

Wow...guess that is true. IMG of Florida had 20 of it's 21 players enroll early. Mich. had 11,Va Teck 9,OSU has 9 and so on for the big boys. Articles galore are calling this a back door early signing strategy for the big boys of college ball as the schools are not listing them as early guys until they sign.

Saban is using players on a new term to me of "Blue Shirting" which means if Saban doesn't go to the kids actual home for a visit and the kid never takes an official he can walk on and take a scholarship when one opens up for his class. But Saban has to have a player lose a scholarship from that class if they were at the limit for that year.These players attended multiple years at Alabama camps,so Saban was very aware of the kids on a personal level.

This maybe the reason why the NCAA might allow early signing period to balance things out.

All of sudden top high school players are becoming Academic Scholars in a huge uptake this year. Even Oklahoma players have been declaring Personal Health and African-American studies as their majors.

Something tells me the NCAA might start going over these kids high school transcripts very hard like they did with the online courses the SEC schools used very frequently a few years back.Guess what conference got the most players from IMG? IMG also claims that the players high school transcripts determines if they get to play for them,not their football skills...LOL.

It costs players $ 70,800 a year to attend the for-profit school which also receives $7 million in state funds. They started playing football in 2013 after spending, if you can believe this, $197 million on a stadium and facilities.

https://www.nytimes.com/2015/09/19/sports/football/high-school-football-inc.html?_r=0

This has really opened my eyes on how high school sports is now becoming a big business too.

Interesting list of sponsors ...Sponsors
Shafer tried to Blue Shirt a kid. Didn't work out. There was a thread on him but I can't recall the kids name.

Shafer tried to Blue Shirt a kid. Didn't work out. There was a thread on him but I can't recall the kids name.

Kid was here for a week in August, and left to play LAX somewhere else.

Foster has two years of eligibility left.

My 12 did not include Foster but did include Custis and Cordy - my error since they redshirted as Juniors. So is it actually only 10?! And one is a kicker and another is a former walk-on QB?