Syracuse gets a C+ for hiring Fran Brown... | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Syracuse gets a C+ for hiring Fran Brown...

...according to this CBS online article.

See you in hell, Dennis Dodd.

For the record, the lowest grade they gave out for new hires was a "C-," so he was toward the bottom. They even had Sean Lewis rated higher.
What wrong with that. He has proven nothing yet. Absolutely nothing. Let’s see on the field he does.

Fran strikes me as a coach who will use any slight to get the players fired up. Fran's entire background is someone who started from the bottom and earned everything.

I get it is a bad grade because he's never been a head coach, and the reporter probably didn't pay close attention to the recruiting.

Who cares. If it can be used as motivation, all the better
Agreed!

Dennis Dodd and CBS have no idea about how like a rocket Fran was out recruiting, in touch with recruits he knows and loves.

Wonderful idea, Fat Tire, to use the critique as motivation and have the entire team read it as well.

Dennis and CBS have no clue as to the inner workings of the Fran Brown Head Coach and his staff.

They'll be eating crow this fall.

I myself would like to urinate on the piece Dennis wrote. :)

What wrong with that. He has proven nothing yet. Absolutely nothing. Let’s see on the field he does.
He also hasn’t failed yet either. Out of the 20 coaches listed only 4 were graded lower.

Nothing?

He brought in more 4*s in 2 weeks than we recruited in 2 decades.

There is plenty more to do, but I am not sure he has done nothing, absolutely nothing...
Yep. You can tell who pays attention to recruiting and who doesn’t. (And in their defense it’s been so consistently mediocre why would they?)

But if you’re looking for Gandalf dressed in white leading the charge - that’s the spot to look

For the record, the lowest grade they gave out for new hires was a "C-," so he was toward the bottom. They even had Sean Lewis rated higher.

What I’d be interested in is if they consistently went back and evaluated how they did 3 years later. I looked up 2021, they had Gus Malzahn an A+ and Josh Heupel a C - don’t think those are even close. Rough guess is they’re pretty close on about 70% which isn’t terrible - but it’s also not that much different from a coin flip.

I could get to 70% just by grading every new coach a C since most don’t pan out - I’m doubtful I could add text to an article with those predictions anyone would be interesting in reading though.

Grading new coaching hires is a somewhat stupid exercise.

I met a guy today who has coached at St. Joe's Prep in Philadelphia for a number of years.

St. Joe's, of course, is one of the great high school football programs in the USA.

Kyle McCord is an alum.

I asked him if he knows Fran Brown.

He had nothing but great things to say about Coach Brown.

2.jpg

What grade do you think Mullen at SU would have gotten?

Not unfair to question his ability to be a head coach considering the context of the article is grading hires before a game is played

Not unfair to question his ability to be a head coach considering the context of the article is grading hires before a game is played
You might want to question that context, though.

But assuming that a grade needs to be assigned to make the article, he is not off base.
Sure you can question that one factor, but there is more than just prior head coaching experience involved. The grade seems like a superficial, casual, lazy look at the situation.

Fran Brown put together the best recruiting class in the modern recruiting era for us in literally 2 weeks. That alone is better than a C+.

Vast majority of guys who “decommitted” had Cuse as their *only* P4 offer.
(Or maybe 1 other)

Meanwhile, KingJoseph alone had more non-Cuse P5 offers than our last 2 classes combined.

Fran is a 44/10. A++++.
Would hire again.

Not any depth to his analysis. Sounds like he just read a few major player recruiting headlines like any everyday football fan and graded Fran based on nothing. How can you evaluate without, at the very least, investigating the staff coaches he’s also recruited to join him?

A&M have had top rated classes the last few years. Coaching matters, too.
Yeah, of course. We’ve had mediocre to poor recruiting combined with mediocre to poor coaching. I’d rather start with some 4* talent and see what that looks like for a while

Vast majority of guys who “decommitted” had Cuse as their *only* P4 offer.
(Or maybe 1 other)

Meanwhile, KingJoseph alone had more non-Cuse P5 offers than our last 2 classes combined.

Fran is a 44/10. A++++.
Would hire again.

50s boy would i GIF

Just the fact we hired the highest level recruiter, from our recruiting area, who grew up in said recruiting area, and considered an up and coming coach to look out for…… and fell to measly SU.

That’s at least a C……. Or B-……..