Syracuse is no longer the new fast or | Syracusefan.com

Syracuse is no longer the new fast or

GoSU96

Living Legend
how Dino decided to play complimentary football and save his defense. And its important to have a healthy OL.

Over the last 14 games SU is now 7-7. During that period SU has really slowed down the tempo. If they run 68 plays it’s a lot. That has allowed the defense to not collapse in the second half of games.

The other big factor is how this OL group when healthy has been huge, for the defense.

When the first nine games of last year and the two games this year are added together SU is averaging 31.2 pts, 423 yds, 6.2 ypp. That would have translated to being ranked 44th in scoring, 53rd in total offense, and 51st in yds per play last year. Very solid.

The last three games last year vet and Blieich were out, and at least Servais and Ellis were playing hurt. Over those three games the offense averaged 11.3 pts, 214 yds, and 3.9 yds per play. That would have been 130th, 130th, and 128 last year- as in dead last.

That offensive collapse had a huge impact on the defense. For the 11 games noted above the defense has averaged 20.3 pts against, 307.8 yds given up, 4.8 yds per play. That would have been good for 19th, 10th, and 12th last year. During the 3 game disaster the defensive numbers are 37.7, 371.3, 6.2 which would have been 122nd, 57th, 108th last year.

A repeatable formula that has been successfully executed has been established. That’s the profile of this team, and it’s a very good one.

I mean, it's hard to play offense fast when you're crap at offense. The time to rush is when you have chunk plays and those were no existent a lot over the past few years. Glad to see this year's offense is looking competent (if not better than that) and this seems to be sustainable.

we are getting into the 70s in plays while really not trying to run tempo or do much late. But when you run long drives into the mix instead of quick scores you really control the game and limit the other teams plays.. getting rid of 3 and outs is huge

All offensive schemes work better when you have a good line. And the key to working tempo is making first downs. Otherwise, you just punt faster. This scheme would actually work very well at tempo because we are getting the first downs and keeping the other team's defense on the field and ours off of it.

I used to write about this at length a couple years ago. I felt like tempo magnified our deficiencies and margin of losses especially when our skill and depth were inferior.

Orange is the New Fast to me was more of a recruiting pitch and not good game strategy.

Looks like the tempo has been quicker this year though. I know Dino said it's not the number of plays that he would expect for "fast".

Our version of fast had devolved to running up to the line and throwing the quick bubble screen if the DBs were playing off and the blocking numbers were there. Otherwise, it was look to the sideline for a play.

This year, they're getting lining up fairly quickly and actually running any play from there.

Looks like the tempo has been quicker this year though. I know Dino said it's not the number of plays that he would expect for "fast".

Our version of fast had devolved to running up to the line and throwing the quick bubble screen if the DBs were playing off and the blocking numbers were there. Otherwise, it was look to the sideline for a play.

This year, they're getting lining up fairly quickly and actually running any play from there.
Yeah, we're going fast more selectively, but when we do we're also doing it in a better way.

already seems like SU has caught the opposing team's offense off-guard more this year than the past 2-3 seasons.

we are getting into the 70s in plays while really not trying to run tempo or do much late. But when you run long drives into the mix instead of quick scores you really control the game and limit the other teams plays.. getting rid of 3 and outs is huge
A good offense is the best defense

I mean, it's hard to play offense fast when you're crap at offense. The time to rush is when you have chunk plays and those were no existent a lot over the past few years. Glad to see this year's offense is looking competent (if not better than that) and this seems to be sustainable.
Yep. Too often SU was the new fast...at getting it's offense off the field.

You can't play fast unless you consistently move the sticks. Three and outs kill defenses.

I don't think going fast has to hurt the defense. I believe Ole Miss has been doing a good job the last couple years. But when the offense is playing crappy and constantly going 3 and out, it kills the defense. We saw that in 4th quarters and late in the season a couple years ago. I like what we're doing so far this year and wouldn't be surprised if we selectively pick up the pace later this year

how Dino decided to play complimentary football and save his defense. And its important to have a healthy OL.

Over the last 14 games SU is now 7-7. During that period SU has really slowed down the tempo. If they run 68 plays it’s a lot. That has allowed the defense to not collapse in the second half of games.

The other big factor is how this OL group when healthy has been huge, for the defense.

When the first nine games of last year and the two games this year are added together SU is averaging 31.2 pts, 423 yds, 6.2 ypp. That would have translated to being ranked 44th in scoring, 53rd in total offense, and 51st in yds per play last year. Very solid.

The last three games last year vet and Blieich were out, and at least Servais and Ellis were playing hurt. Over those three games the offense averaged 11.3 pts, 214 yds, and 3.9 yds per play. That would have been 130th, 130th, and 128 last year- as in dead last.

That offensive collapse had a huge impact on the defense. For the 11 games noted above the defense has averaged 20.3 pts against, 307.8 yds given up, 4.8 yds per play. That would have been good for 19th, 10th, and 12th last year. During the 3 game disaster the defensive numbers are 37.7, 371.3, 6.2 which would have been 122nd, 57th, 108th last year.

A repeatable formula that has been successfully executed has been established. That’s the profile of this team, and it’s a very good one.
Having the option to go fast is 80% of the benefit

When you're a little better than the competition, go fast and amplify the advantage

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom