Syracuse Legend? | Syracusefan.com

Syracuse Legend?

nemegnaroog

Walk On
Why isn't the name Jim Collins a house hold name in the Syracuse football community? I tried to do some homework and it looks like he is 5th all-time in most career tackles w/624. #1 -Mike Singletary [Baylor] w/662 during '77-'80, #2 Pat Choate [SMU] w/ 649 during '75-'78, #3 Rick Razzano [VT] w/ 634 during '74-'77, #4 Willie Pless [Kansas] w/ 633 during '82-'85. Collins is also 3rd all-time in most tackles in a season w/229. Trailing only behind #2 Mike Singletary w/232 & #1 Pat Choate w/ 253. I'd also like to mention the 42 tackles he had on Oct. 20th 1979 against Penn State...42 F*%#&ng TACKLES!,in ONE game. (Just to let you all know my only source was through the all-time history database, so dont scold me if I may have missed a few others. I'm only trying to paint a picture of his accomplishments.) Anyway, my question/concern is why isnt he up on the pedestal with the Art Monks #44's Csonka's, Mackey's D. McPheson's? I was born the year he was drafted to the Rams so I don't have anything to go by. Just curious to why he isn't another legendary face of the program. Thanks

I don't know alot about Jim Collins. I recognize his name when I see something about him having the syracuse record for tackles in a career. I don't know what his pro career was like, but that along with a lack of team success during his time at SU may be why we tend to forget him. All of the other SU legends you mentioned played during a period of team success and/or had HOF careers in the NFL. It does seem like we shoiuld remember him more since his numbers are so ridiculous.

I'd never even heard of him. Seems he was a pro bowler and second round pick. 45 career NFL sacks.

rp_primary_collinsjbwaxallcent.jpg

$%28KGrHqF,!icE7BOE5s1yBP!tmLSvLg~~60_57.JPG

I don't know alot about Jim Collins. I recognize his name when I see something about him having the syracuse record for tackles in a career. I don't know what his pro career was like, but that along with a lack of team success during his time at SU may be why we tend to forget him. All of the other SU legends you mentioned played during a period of team success and/or had HOF careers in the NFL. It does seem like we shoiuld remember him more since his numbers are so ridiculous.
i remember him. we have done the same thing to bo nance and joe morris--they always get overlooked

i remember him. we have done the same thing to bo nance and joe morris--they always get overlooked
Do you think Delone Carter will be one of those guys? Was he good enough to be included on that kind of list? What kind of numbers could he have put up on one of our teams from 95-98, with a decent defense to get the ball back to the offense and a balanced offense to keep opposing defenses honest? Imagine him lining up behind Konrad instead of Kyle McIntosh.

Jim Collins was a great, great player.

A great college player and a great professional player.

He should be in the College Hall of Fame.

Jim was great. I suspect some of those records may fall sooner than later. Kids play more games these days.

The thing that may keep some of the records alive is that those were every-down players. With the specialized defensive packages in use today, there are very few of those players (especially linebackers) left.

Why isn't the name Jim Collins a house hold name in the Syracuse football community? I tried to do some homework and it looks like he is 5th all-time in most career tackles w/624. #1 -Mike Singletary [Baylor] w/662 during '77-'80, #2 Pat Choate [SMU] w/ 649 during '75-'78, #3 Rick Razzano [VT] w/ 634 during '74-'77, #4 Willie Pless [Kansas] w/ 633 during '82-'85. Collins is also 3rd all-time in most tackles in a season w/229. Trailing only behind #2 Mike Singletary w/232 & #1 Pat Choate w/ 253. I'd also like to mention the 42 tackles he had on Oct. 20th 1979 against Penn State...42 F*%#&ng TACKLES!,in ONE game. (Just to let you all know my only source was through the all-time history database, so dont scold me if I may have missed a few others. I'm only trying to paint a picture of his accomplishments.) Anyway, my question/concern is why isnt he up on the pedestal with the Art Monks #44's Csonka's, Mackey's D. McPheson's? I was born the year he was drafted to the Rams so I don't have anything to go by. Just curious to why he isn't another legendary face of the program. Thanks
Thanks for bringing this to our attention. I agree, Collins was a helluva player. As I recall, style similar to Dan Conley. Great game against Florida State.