Syracuse Media at JB presser is so soft | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Syracuse Media at JB presser is so soft

number 1 JB is on record at least a thousand times saying it takes young players years to learn the zone .
secondly what other coach regularly sits down post game and calls out his players by name for his failures ?
his act has grown so stale. (BTW i see he's lost the coat and tie and now coaches in his pajamas.)

Last edited:
He did unload on Joe after the last play. Walks halfway out to the lane yelling at Joe and pointing to the inbounds.

If you watch the timeout you can see JB diagramming the play. He wants someone in the far corner, he wanted someone to cut from the midcourt circle, and he scribbles a lot around the elbow. When he's pointing to the elbow he's looking at Benny and Joe. From what is shown on camera he spent most of the time in the huddle addressing Benny and Joe.

IMO Joe was supposed to inbound to Benny. He didn't do it and Benny was open. I think at that point he wanted Benny to get the ball to Edwards on the block for a post up or kick out to Joe swinging around to that far side wing. I also think Symir was supposed to screen backside for Joe on the kickout.

Play got busted when Joe went straight to Edwards, Edwards dribbles down to the block but everyone is smothered. Edwards at that point shouldve just back him down and tried a jump hook or turnaround.

Last edited:
I thought it was a good performance coach included against a better team than us and we didn’t fold when we lost the lead.

But at the end you have to be OK losing on a half court heave. Jesse has to be told to get that ball up with time for a put back and not as the clock expires it’s not NBA.

It’s also gotten shorter because he doesn’t have as much talent. That’s on him too. It’s recruiting.
Why would anyone want to come here and get 15 dnp and average 5 mpg? You're not going to get much talent to fill that role.

St John’s played 9 players but one only had a minute of play, so essentially the same number of players that we did- 8. They had 3 players who went over 40 minutes, all were juniors, we only had 2 (Benny and Judah), one a freshman, the other an inexperienced soph. To me, it appeared we just aren’t in full game condition. It makes sense considering the number of freshman we are relying upon, and the more generous rotations so early in the season. I think we forget that our freshman are just starting a process realizing what it takes to be successful in college.

It was after an early season game that JB said something in his press conference that made me think.(a task I should really do more :)). When asked about evaluating their play, JB said you have to remember they are only playing against each other in practice - in other words, only games can give a true picture. We’re seeing progress, the Colgate effort would never have beaten Richmond nor been competitive against St John’s. With 6 freshman, this season will be a process, some ups, some downs, over time. The players now are starting to realize where they are stacking comparatively to be successful, it should re-energize practice for true competitors. It’s a process.
Please don't make sense or use facts on this board. Don't make me tell you again.

If you watch JB’s press conference he made a number of statements that the Syracuse media is simply too soft to question. To wit.
-He complained incessantly about Bell not rebounding. Nobody asked him why he didn’t go to either Brown or Taylor.
-he said that Benny wants to play like a three instead of a four and isn’t doing the things they need. There was absolutely no followup as to explanation as to what Benny has not been doing, particularly last night.
-JB‘s explanation for the final play made no sense. He said they were trying to get the ball to Jesse and then to Joe. Why would you facilitate with a big man? Then he said Joe should have passed the ball in bounds to Benny which is at odds with his previous statement. Nobody there bothered to ask JB why the plan was not to get the ball to Judah who has the best handle on the team and has the best chance to get to the basket and potentially dish like he did earlier to Jesse in a big spot.
-JB said nine seconds is not a lot of time to set up a final play. What? How can anybody not call him on that absurd assertion?
-JB said the zone is much easier to learn than man-to-man. Nobody followed up with a question asking for an explanation or asking why on a team with so many athletes we can’t play man-to-man like every other Team in the country. Our press core simply accepts JB’s absurd notion that we can’t play man. There is no way that we lose the game to Colgate the way we did if we played man because there is no way against a man to man defense there will be that many wide open three-pointers available.
-when I think it was Mike Waters asked about Jesse fouling JB said he knows not to foul and then said it probably is due to poor coaching. This self-pity routine is absurd given the fact that as I described above the media is so soft and afraid of him.
-finally I get the fact that Joe is going to miss shots, every player does. But his selfishness was on full display with his poor shot selection and refusal to pass the ball on the fast break. His defense was noticeably poor particularly regarding his efforts on closeouts. This has been going on for four years yet nobody in the media will ask JB why he does not hold Joe accountable.
Jim got one thing right, "...probably poor coaching...".
I as well don't understand the meek approach to JAB from the media. Jim has certainly fallen from the ranks of premier coaches over the last 5 years in particular. Only hope this is his swansong, otherwise the AD is captain of the Titanic.

nothing new, they’re protecting their livelihood.

JB has a show on Wednesday, call in and lambast him if you want, see how that ends lol

How many division 1 wins do you have ? A common JB retort when asked a question about his coaching thus the softball media response is silence.

how many other coaches PCs do people listen to on a regular basis.. JB is pretty standard in how he reacts to most coaches.

how many other coaches PCs do people listen to on a regular basis.. JB is pretty standard in how he reacts to most coaches.

Exactly right. All coaches say very similar things. And all fan bases complain about similar things (switch defenses, why isn’t some bench player playing more, what kind of offense are we running, what’s with the last play call). I check out the UNC board, Kentucky board and others and we are more alike than different.

Cuse

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom