Syracuse Mets | Syracusefan.com

Syracuse Mets

upperdeck

Living Legend
not sure if its been posted but the Big Mets will be playing in Syracuse against the little Mets end of March..

Mets are still in FLA on the 25th, and they open the season at DC on the 28th.

I wonder if the Mets becoming local again we get a few more radio networks like the old days. very little outside the bigger cities in the state

One of the board's own will be broadcasting the Syracuse Mets games this year. (As he did last year.). Be sure to listen in.

tebow cut today; will start the season in syracuse

tebow cut today; will start the season in syracuse
The Mets have done a good job signing veteran players who will start the season in Syracuse. It looks like the team will also feature Alonso and Gimenez, the Mets' top prospects. Both are considered among the top 100 prospects in minor league baseball.

If the team can stay relatively healthy, they should contend for a pennant.

The Mets have done a good job signing veteran players who will start the season in Syracuse. It looks like the team will also feature Alonso and Gimenez, the Mets' top prospects. Both are considered among the top 100 prospects in minor league baseball.

If the team can stay relatively healthy, they should contend for a pennant.

For all the Mets fans out there, here's hoping that Alonso does NOT start the season in Syracuse. We need his bat in the lineup all year, and games in April count as much as games in September.

For all the Mets fans out there, here's hoping that Alonso does NOT start the season in Syracuse. We need his bat in the lineup all year, and games in April count as much as games in September.
dom smith has been raking, too, so on paper at least it looks like a good move

dom smith has been raking, too, so on paper at least it looks like a good move
If they keep Alonso in Syracuse until mid-May, it buys them another year of control before he becomes a free agent. This has become standard operating procedure for big prospects. While the Mets management says they won't take this into consideration, they have to. I bet Dom stays with the Mets and Pete gets a chance to get acquainted with chicken riggies and salt potatoes for a little while.

If they keep Alonso in Syracuse until mid-May, it buys them another year of control before he becomes a free agent. This has become standard operating procedure for big prospects. While the Mets management says they won't take this into consideration, they have to. I bet Dom stays with the Mets and Pete gets a chance to get acquainted with chicken riggies and salt potatoes for a little while.

Yes, the super-two deadline. But that's a misnomer. Alonso only needs to stay in the minors until mid-April, the first two weeks of the season, before the Mets can bring him up and still take advantage of the extra year of control.

But as I mentioned, games in April still count. With how tight this division will be all season, I don't want them giving away games because they're not putting their best team on the field.

really need to figure out what to do with Smith. Alonso has been killing the ball. Smith has a nice avg and has gotten into shape finally.

play smith in left, alonso at first, nimmo, conforto in Cf and Right , Mcneil at 3rd for the first few weeks and see what happens. if one of them cools off send him down. by then some of the injured guys come back.

Yes, the super-two deadline. But that's a misnomer. Alonso only needs to stay in the minors until mid-April, the first two weeks of the season, before the Mets can bring him up and still take advantage of the extra year of control.

But as I mentioned, games in April still count. With how tight this division will be all season, I don't want them giving away games because they're not putting their best team on the field.
It is a tough call. I guess Super Two is more about delaying arbitration than free agency, so I am somewhat amenable to doing this. But it will hurt the team in the future.

Comes down to where do you want to take the hit? As a downtrodden Mets fan, I want Alonso in NYC from day one. As a Syracuse native, I would like to see him play a few times before he ascends to stardom in the show.

It is a tough call. I guess Super Two is more about delaying arbitration than free agency, so I am somewhat amenable to doing this. But it will hurt the team in the future.

Comes down to where do you want to take the hit? As a downtrodden Mets fan, I want Alonso in NYC from day one. As a Syracuse native, I would like to see him play a few times before he ascends to stardom in the show.

For me, NY Mets > SYR Mets. I’ll always want the big club to do what’s best, even if it takes away my ability to see a future star locally.

For the record, I don’t think that they bring him up with the big club to start the season. Brodie’s posturing about “we’re going to play the best guys” is all talk. As you mentioned, everyone does this across baseball. Hell, Vlad Jr would have started the season in the minors, even before his recent injury. And you could make the case he should have been in the show by June of last year.

I just don’t like the practice, but I understand why it’s done.

i'm not at all upset by it. smith is mashing and can also field the position. alonso has improved, but defensively he still makes lucas duda look like keith hernandez

it's nice to have a legitimate option such that keeping alonso down isn't anti-competitive.

i'm not at all upset by it. smith is mashing and can also field the position. alonso has improved, but defensively he still makes lucas duda look like keith hernandez

it's nice to have a legitimate option such that keeping alonso down isn't anti-competitive.

If you can’t see that at this stage of the game Alonso is a vastly superior offensive player to Dom Smith, I can’t say anything anymore. Dom Smith was left for dead. He’s now JUST starting to build up some value. Pete Alonso was the organizational minor league player of the year last season and led the entire minors in HRs.

They’re not even in the same ballpark. The only reason this is even slightly a conversation is because Dom is finally hitting the ball well this spring. Getting rid of his sleep apnea seems to have helped him rediscover his bat again.

If you can’t see that at this stage of the game Alonso is a vastly superior offensive player to Dom Smith, I can’t say anything anymore. Dom Smith was left for dead. He’s now JUST starting to build up some value. Pete Alonso was the organizational minor league player of the year last season and led the entire minors in HRs.

They’re not even in the same ballpark. The only reason this is even slightly a conversation is because Dom is finally hitting the ball well this spring. Getting rid of his sleep apnea seems to have helped him rediscover his bat again.
The best case scenario for the Mets would be for Dom to take over first base to start the season and play really well, up his value back to where it was when he was a top 100 prospect. Then, when his value has been fully restored, and Alonso has spent enough time in Syracuse to delay his arbitration hearing a year, trade Smith and unleach Excaliber. Alonso can work on his defense in Syracuse, increase his strength dining on high quality Dino BBQ and be fully ready for MLB when he is called up in May.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom