Syracuse Michigan Matchup | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Syracuse Michigan Matchup

FWIW, my co-worker that's a Wolverines fan is convinced we're going to blow them out. He has zero confidence in them accomplishing anything on offense, and is convinced Southerland is going to score 30+.

That seems a bit unrealistic. I think James goes for 29 max with someone else getting into the 20's with him. CJ, I'm looking at you here.

FWIW, my co-worker that's a Wolverines fan is convinced we're going to blow them out. He has zero confidence in them accomplishing anything on offense, and is convinced Southerland is going to score 30+.

Reverse jinx.

I'm terrified of Spike Albrecht nailing a few 25 footers. 5'11 Freshman that gets very few minutes but shoots the 3 ball well is exactly the recipe for a career day vs SU... or at least would be if he played on a BE team.

Indiana had 4 guys like that.

Indiana had 4 guys like that.

I'm aware. Weve seen it a ton in BE play over the years but this years NCAA has been a case of me waiting for our opponents to make a run and it never happening.

Here's a microcosm of Michigan fans' feelings on this game:

"I'm a little surprised that there's still so much talk about Syracuse's D being a tough test for Michigan. Obviously it's a tough test, since this is the Final Four, but so far Michigan has not only beaten 3 of the best Ds in the tournament, as you said, but 3 completely different styles of defense as well. We were able to have our way with VCU's press, we survived against the shot blocking machine that is Kansas, and we just pulverized what was considered by many to be the best all around D in the country in Florida. Our offense is appearing to be perfectly constructed to take on all comers. It's like a Bruce Lee movie. The non-believers have said with each game this in this tourny that the next team is the one that will be too tough. Here's to hoping Syracuse is just Kareem Abdul Jabbar and we're just too fast and unpredictable for them."

"I'm a little surprised that there's still so much talk about Syracuse's D being a tough test for Michigan. Obviously it's a tough test, since this is the Final Four, but so far Michigan has not only beaten 3 of the best Ds in the tournament, as you said, but 3 completely different styles of defense as well. We were able to have our way with VCU's press, we survived against the shot blocking machine that is Kansas, and we just pulverized what was considered by many to be the best all around D in the country in Florida. Our offense is appearing to be perfectly constructed to take on all comers. It's like a Bruce Lee movie. The non-believers have said with each game this in this tourny that the next team is the one that will be too tough. Here's to hoping Syracuse is just Kareem Abdul Jabbar and we're just too fast and unpredictable for them."

So in other words, because they have a PG guard who is the perfect antidote to the pressure defenses of VCU and Florida, they should have no problem with a completely different defense.

...or...

tumblr_mh1kdcyjCs1qhx5hjo1_500.gif

The thing with KU's shot blocking is that it was pretty much all Withy. SU is just as good and they block with everyone.

It's going to be an epic game and it'd sure be nice for it to be one of those games where Triche drops an unexpected 24+ points.

Cuse getting no, and I mean NO respect for this game. All the media except Bilas is on UM. The idea being Burke is a great PG so he will destroy the zone. They have good 3 pt shooters who are taller than IU's guys. And of course the B1G is the best. They will score some more but the zone will keep them down as long as we don't have too many TO's that lead to transition points. Unlike IU, they have a better break and will capitalize. But nobody is focusing on how UM defends Cuse. I think both CJ and James have great matchups and will hurt UM. Whichever guard Burke takes has a big size advantage to post him up. We need James to shoot well in this game because we will need to make some 3's. MCW can get to the rim on this team, they don't have a big shot blocker. If our offense is decent we win.

Cuse getting no, and I mean NO respect for this game. All the media except Bilas is on UM. The idea being Burke is a great PG so he will destroy the zone. They have good 3 pt shooters who are taller than IU's guys. And of course the B1G is the best. They will score some more but the zone will keep them down as long as we don't have too many TO's that lead to transition points. Unlike IU, they have a better break and will capitalize. But nobody is focusing on how UM defends Cuse. I think both CJ and James have great matchups and will hurt UM. Whichever guard Burke takes has a big size advantage to post him up. We need James to shoot well in this game because we will need to make some 3's. MCW can get to the rim on this team, they don't have a big shot blocker. If our offense is decent we win.

I don't think anyone thinks that Michigan runs the break better than Indiana. Or if someone said that, I think they're mistaken. We do need a couple guys to make shots this game.

I just wish there was another Big 10 team instead of Louisville able to make the Final, so we could reprise the Big 12 Champion shirts, only changing the name to those of the B1G.

If any Michigan fans are lurking, please give us your perspective on the game.

Grew up near Syracuse, lifelong fan but have some affinity for Michigan football. Anyway I'm on their Rivals and Scout boards a lot (for football), and I would say the vast majority (90%) think they match up perfectly against Syracuse's defense, and think Burke will be able to penetrate and kick, or they'll simply just have wide open 3's just shooting over the zone.

Personally I think they are being wildly optimistic, and more than likely they will need Hardaway to hit a bunch of quick jumpers from the FT line (and then make the appropriate pass to McGary or the corner) for them to have much success in the half court offense. I don't see Burke doing much at all.

Grew up near Syracuse, lifelong fan but have some affinity for Michigan football. Anyway I'm on their and boards a lot (for football), and I would say the vast majority (90%) think they match up perfectly against Syracuse's defense, and think Burke will be able to penetrate and kick, or they'll simply just have wide open 3's just shooting over the zone.

Personally I think they are being wildly optimistic, and more than likely they will need Hardaway to hit a bunch of quick jumpers from the FT line (and then make the appropriate pass to McGary or the corner) for them to have much success in the half court offense. I don't see Burke doing much at all.

If his past games against good teams are any indication, he'll do plenty, but it won't be efficient. He seems to want to be the man whenever they play good teams. Shot numbers go up and he shoots in the 38-42% from the field.

It'll be interesting. I don't know why I feel so confident, but I feel like this game will kind of expose Burke's tendency to force the issue when he plays against good teams. He seems to turn it over a good amount against better teams and shoots a poor percentage.

My biggest concern is McGary. He's really their only big guy of value. If we make a concerted effort to box him out like we did to Zeller and take advantage of our size advantage on the offensive end, I think we can neutralize him and get him into early foul trouble.

I'm concerned about the length of Syracuse, not the zone itself, causing problems for Michigan. One interesting note, John Beilein has never beaten Syracuse in 9 tries, but he has a more talented team then any he has coached before.

Should be a very good game and the winner probably plays Louisville , the prohibitive favorite to cut down the nets.

Spike Albrecht- The white guy that comes in and outworks everyone. Sneaky with the ball. Good shooter. With come in and play pg and put Burke at the 2 sometimes.

Caris LeVert-Best defender. athletic. His offensives play drops his playing time and looks lost sometimes. Came play good Offense every 10 games.

Jon Horford- Back up center. Shot blocker. No hands. Can pick up fouls. Not a threat in the post.

Jordan Morgan- Old starter. Was a Defensive anchor to the team. Also has no hands and misses bunnies in the paint. Hurt is ankle in the middle of the season. Best big man at stopping guards when they penetrate.

Nik Stauskas-Getting better on defense. One of the best shooters in the nation.Struggles against physical teams. Will put the ball on the floor and go to the basket or shoot a mid range.

Glenn Robinson III- Plays the 4 and guards teams Big men a 6'6". Doesn't foul much Streaky shooter. Lacks confidence sometimes and could be more aggressive. Most athletic on the team and the person who catches the most ally oops. Will be a future first round pick.

Mitch McGary- Becoming a star. Doesn't pick up many fouls on defense. Used to play too fast. will dive for loose balls and is a hustle. Developing good post moves. Is able to dibble out of trouble without tuning the ball over. has a nice mid range jumper but not a great Free throw shooter. Great rebounded.

Tim Hardaway Jr.- Very streaky shooter. Either misses 5 shots in a row or makes 5 30ft shots in a row. Very good in the fast break and will run basket to basket if he gets a rebound. Makes mistakes on defense sometimes. Athletic and decent ball handler. Will not try to impress you with ball handling skills and will force himself into the lane.

Trey Burke- Best player in the country. Never gives up and never believes his team will lose intill the clock hits 0. Can go 1-8 at the 3 in the first 30 mins and score 20 points in the last 10 mins. Will steal the ball from careless ball handlers. Can shoot too much a times. Great at penetrating and running the pick and roll. Great passer and doesn't turn the ball over often.

Spike Albrecht- The white guy that comes in and outworks everyone. Sneaky with the ball. Good shooter. With come in and play pg and put Burke at the 2 sometimes.

Caris LeVert-Best defender. athletic. His offensives play drops his playing time and looks lost sometimes. Came play good Offense every 10 games.

Jon Horford- Back up center. Shot blocker. No hands. Can pick up fouls. Not a threat in the post.

Jordan Morgan- Old starter. Was a Defensive anchor to the team. Also has no hands and misses bunnies in the paint. Hurt is ankle in the middle of the season. Best big man at stopping guards when they penetrate.

Nik Stauskas-Getting better on defense. One of the best shooters in the nation.Struggles against physical teams. Will put the ball on the floor and go to the basket or shoot a mid range.

Glenn Robinson III- Plays the 4 and guards teams Big men a 6'6". Doesn't foul much Streaky shooter. Lacks confidence sometimes and could be more aggressive. Most athletic on the team and the person who catches the most ally oops. Will be a future first round pick.

Mitch McGary- Becoming a star. Doesn't pick up many fouls on defense. Used to play too fast. will dive for loose balls and is a hustle. Developing good post moves. Is able to dibble out of trouble without tuning the ball over. has a nice mid range jumper but not a great Free throw shooter. Great rebounded.

Tim Hardaway Jr.- Very streaky shooter. Either misses 5 shots in a row or makes 5 30ft shots in a row. Very good in the fast break and will run basket to basket if he gets a rebound. Makes mistakes on defense sometimes. Athletic and decent ball handler. Will not try to impress you with ball handling skills and will force himself into the lane.

Trey Burke- Best player in the country. Never gives up and never believes his team will lose intill the clock hits 0. Can go 1-8 at the 3 in the first 30 mins and score 20 points in the last 10 mins. Will steal the ball from careless ball handlers. Can shoot too much a times. Great at penetrating and running the pick and roll. Great passer and doesn't turn the ball over often.

Who do you see guarding MCW?
And who do you put on Southerland? GR3?
Figure Hardaway on MCW for a bit and Burke on Triche? Or do you see those switched around? I did those match ups based purely on height...

Nik S on Fair?

Who do you see guarding MCW?
And who do you put on Southerland? GR3?
Figure Hardaway on MCW for a bit and Burke on Triche? Or do you see those switched around? I did those match ups based purely on height...

Nik S on Fair?
Burke will guard MCW and press him unless he starts scoring off post ups. Hardaway may also guard him. Glen with mostly hold the stronger of Fair or Southerland with Nik guard the smaller one. We will force you worst offensive player to try to score.

It seems everyone is talking about the UM offense against the SU defense as the big thing in this game. I think the real key is UM defense against our offense. I Honestly feel our weakness offense is stronger than their weakness defense. I look at it see they will play m2m and see match up problems all over for them and no real rim protector. Its not as bad as the mismatches we had against IU but at least they had one elite defender to take someone away with. UM is not great at stopping penetration and I expect we will kill them on the high ball screen action plus they will be undersized at the forward spots against us.

Burke will guard MCW and press him unless he starts scoring off post ups. Hardaway may also guard him. Glen with mostly hold the stronger of Fair or Southerland with Nik guard the smaller one. We will force you worst offensive player to try to score.

If I read that right you have Burke on MCW, Hardaway on Triche, GR3 on either Dirty (Southerlands nickname) or CJ. Then that leaves Nik on one of them, either way, one of them will be a mis-match for Nik. Since it was said Nik struggles on D. How well does he fight off screens, because if he guards Dirty, Dirty will take him all over the court.

If I read that right you have Burke on MCW, Hardaway on Triche, GR3 on either Dirty (Southerlands nickname) or CJ. Then that leaves Nik on one of them, either way, one of them will be a mis-match for Nik. Since it was said Nik struggles on D. How well does he fight off screens, because if he guards Dirty, Dirty will take him all over the court.
Nik problem is mostly freshman mistakes. He usually has a problem with positioning when playing on ball D. I worry more about Hardaway getting lost on screens.

Nik problem is mostly freshman mistakes. He usually has a problem with positioning when playing on ball D. I worry more about Hardaway getting lost on screens.

Is Hardaway a bigger liability than Nik?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom