Syracuse-Nebraska 1984 | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Syracuse-Nebraska 1984

It looked like he might have been offsides on the opening kickoff.
Saw the same thing. Never see it called. Except this year. Once. Against us.

My cousin from Rome was on the team and many of the family members came out from the Utica/Rome area to watch. It was the first dome experiece for my immediate family.

saw a similar game and start of a dynasty at su lemme think ... o yeaaaaaaa it was the 2017 matchup of su vs clemson!

1984: We'd lost 7-63 at Nebraska the previous year and 0-19 to Rutgers the previous week. They had no way of knowing that we would be able to compete with them.

2017: We'd lost 0-54 at Clemson the previous year and to Middle Tennessee State a month before. They had no way of knowing that we would be able to compete with them.

They are interviewing Ben Schwarzwalder at the half, man I hope that is on this tape

I remember walking from the Dome, helping the dazed Nebraska fans to avoid running into telephone poles.

The game apparently wasn't even televised in Nebraska where the local newspaper upon receiving the score, called our local newspaper to ask for the corrected score. They were quoted as saying "Your team couldn't possibly have beaten our team."

In the era before smart phones and video screens, fans learned scores of other games from PA announcements. Imaging the reaction across the country when this score was announced was fun.

I remember walking from the Dome, helping the dazed Nebraska fans to avoid running into telephone poles.

The game apparently wasn't even televised in Nebraska where the local newspaper upon receiving the score, called our local newspaper to ask for the corrected score. They were quoted as saying "Your team couldn't possibly have beaten our team."

In the era before smart phones and video screens, fans learned scores of other games from PA announcements. Imaging the reaction across the country when this score was announced was fun.
You’re right there was no easy way to find out scores back then. My mother in Williamstown had to run to a pay phone in Williams college athletic complex to make a coin call back to syracuse to find out what happened. This must’ve been a 12 noon game as ours was a 1pm start.

This is about as much fun as I’ve ever had watching a game.

You’re right there was no easy way to find out scores back then. My mother in Williamstown had to run to a pay phone in Williams college athletic complex to make a coin call back to syracuse to find out what happened. This must’ve been a 12 noon game as ours was a 1pm start.

This is about as much fun as I’ve ever had watching a game.
I will watch it later. Was Marrone on that team? Can’t remember

Derek ward does it again, knocking one of their guys silly, holy cow Tim greens possessed! Osborne looks flumoxed! Awesome. When somebody writes a book about the carrier dome, they need to interview Tom Osborn, Dabo Swinney, Steve Spurrier, Don nehlen, etc. about the experience

I will watch it later. Was Marrone on that team? Can’t remember
Marrone was the starter at RT. Mac asked the whole team to wrote an essay before the Nebraska game describing how they were going to win. Doug mentioned it a few times when he was the SU HC. He played well, injured his right thigh during the game but kept playing.

Watching that was every bit as great I as I thought it would be after thinking about and wanting to watch it for so many years (34 years!).

I think this is as good a time to as any to read about the history of the program on the bottom of Tomcat’s posts that he has listed. This program of ours is something to be mad proud of, as good as nearly anyone across the years, and communally is about as good time as possible for community solidarity and familial fun.

Long term history, short term history, future history, some of the best players at nearly every position, one of the best most unique and intimidating venues in the country to play in (just ask Tom Osborne!), and some of the best and passionate fan bases in the country, yes traveling well and taking over many away game venues.

Happy and proud to be a Cuse fan with a such a bright future to boot, or as Dino said from day one, “Syracuse?, why not Syracuse, Syracuse IS a destination school”.

Enjoy ladies and gents and let’s go Orange!

Last edited:

A friend of mine was in Hawaii and all the employees at Hilton Village congratulated him on the victory

The Nebraska punt with 1 minute left down 10 is hilarious. Cue that same Herb Brooks "he didn't know what to do" quote.

Also noticed the band was on the 30 yard line, and at the end of the game the band leader help up a sign telling the band to play "Up the Field"

We complain now about our fans not wearing enough orange, back then hardly any... They'd show a crowd shot you'd see 1 or 2 orange shirts in a group of 100.

This was the first year my Dad got season tickets. Since we only had two seats, my Dad would take turns bringing one of us kids. I was so mad because my sister got to go to this game and she could care less about football. I begged and pleaded to switch games with her to no avail. To this day I think she did it to spite me. Siblings

Holy time-travel, Batman!

* Substitutes? Role-players? Other than alternating Chalk and Tait at TE, and subbing a nickelback (Gorzalski?) for a backer, only a handful of guys who played O or D didn't start -- Grimes as a situational blocker, Morris for that bizarre goal-line carry, and Pidgeon when Reed got hurt.

* The equipment! J-pads, neck rolls, and those shoulder pads ... Jamie Kimmel looked like he had a coffee table under his uniform top. Rudy Reed dropped a pick because he was wrapped like a mummy.

* Someone mentioned the lack of availability of stats in the broadcast; I missed seeing the clock and down/distance. It was also evident that Gowdy/Dawson had nowhere near the prep or the resources available today ... lots of flubbed names, little insight, etc. "Floyd Schwartzwalder" was quite painful.

*Good to see future roster anchors on the sideline: McPherson, Kane, Markus Paul, Fraze, Stoeppel, Ewald, Vesling.

* This team was super NY- (and northeast)-centric. Green, Schwedes, Kimmel and Chalk were all upstaters, IIRC, while Covington, Gayden, Gregory, Marrone and McAulay repped metro-NYC/Long Island. Stir in Norley and Siano from Pennsy, and Lee from Connecticut, and that's half the starting lineup. King (Georgia) is the only out-of-region guy who comes to mind. I don't remember any key players from Jersey.

This fall, assuming Trill beats out Bradshaw for a corner spot, we're looking at two NY starters unless Foster gets moved to plug the Cullen hole at LB and Coley slides in, or Qadir White leapfrogs some guys at OT.

I've heard folks grumbling over time that the program doesn't recruit many "local kids," but my sense is that Dino and Co. are going where they need to go to get players who fit the program. Meanwhile, the state has two four-stars: Isaac (Penn State) and Blissett (Miami). Upstate's three best players -- committed three-stars --are headed to Buffalo, Rutgers and Ohio U. 24/7 has nobody from the 315, 607 or 518 in its top 25.

the white goal posts look weird

also, i always envisioned a more packed dome for this game

I attended this game with my Dad. We had brunch at Daphne's (I think) who had a deal that included brunch and a shuttle to the dome. We arrived late as somehow the shuttle driver got lost!

As we hurried to our seats we could see the game from the end zone concourse. We arrived just in time to see Nebraska's first possession end with that big tackle of the wide receiver by Roos. I thought right then that the game might be different than the blowout in Nebraska.

What a game! And you can bet that the crowd noise helped the outcome.

I was on a bus ride home from an away JV football game (can't remember who we played) and we had just gotten thumped and the bus driver put the game on the radio and we heard the final drive. Of course we got excited for the CUSE and our coach got pissed. He was a "silence is golden" type of coach.

I know I’ve told this on another thread in the past...
I’ve had this poster since 84. A few years ago (2009?) they had a bunch of the team that beat Nebraska in the quad to sign and meet fans. (Sidenote: it was terribly put together. They advertised for Coach Mac, and Tim Green, although neither were there)

Anywho, I decided to carry this up in a shipping tube and got my arse in line early. I had zero interest in the cheap pic they had to offer. I rolled this baby out. The guys freaked out. “I cant believe you have this” etc. led to a nice chat with Shiano.

All said and done, some time later, I took it with me to Legends and Stars at Drumlins where I knew Green would be. I said “I missed you in the quad for this, so I need you to sign this”. He did. Right across his arse.

803D671E-0C4C-455D-B897-C501E028F4BA.jpeg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom