Syracuse Players Going Early | Syracusefan.com

Syracuse Players Going Early

With all the talk about MCW going pro early like it is a forgone conclusion, I thought it would be good to re-baseline how poorly our more recent early entrants have done.

Flynn - out of NBA
Devendorf- never made NBA
Greene - out of NBA
Johnson - riding the pines in Arizona
Melo - D-league

I don't think he is ready yet, he shot isn't nearly good enough to play in the NBA at a high level. He also needs to bulk up.

What about Dion Waiters?

Every year, we hear how our recent players' lack of success is going to be a detriment to our current players' draft prospects. And yet, MCW is being universally described as a potential high lottery pick.

I think a more realistic assessment is that NBA front offices evaluate players on a case-by-case basis. Might SU's lackluster performance in the NBA factor into their evaluation? Perhaps, in some minor way. But Donte Greene is going to have very little to do with the opinion NBA teams formulate about MCW.

You left out Harris (Phillipines) and Waiters (one of the top rookies in the NBA). Of the ones you mentioned Donte is probably the only one who might have benefited from staying. The others were either at the peak of their market value or had no shot no matter how long they stayed.

Point is, each case is unique. The success, or lack thereof, of previous early entrants has no bearing on MCW's prospects. Of course we'd all love him to stick around, but if he's a top 10 pick at the end of the year it makes no difference whether he's ready. And I'm afraid the example of players like Sullinger, who stuck around too long and saw his stock drop, could scare players away from staying.

With all the talk about MCW going pro early like it is a forgone conclusion, I thought it would be good to re-baseline how poorly our more recent early entrants have done.

Flynn - out of NBA
Devendorf- never made NBA
Greene - out of NBA
Johnson - riding the pines in Arizona
Melo - D-league

I don't think he is ready yet, he shot isn't nearly good enough to play in the NBA at a high level. He also needs to bulk up.
It isn't about being ready as far as your game is concerned. It's about being in a spot to make as much money as you can. The 6 ot game made Flynn a star. It was his time to cash in. If he stayed, he would not have moved up in the draft.

What about that kid who left early & seems to be doing OK with the Knicks ???

I just need my memory jogged as to his name......
OP stated "more recent early entrants". I'm guessing that the OP means "everyone since the one that was drafted by the Nuggets". The names that were listed were all post-2003.

You left out Harris (Phillipines) and Waiters (one of the top rookies in the NBA). Of the ones you mentioned Donte is probably the only one who might have benefited from staying. The others were either at the peak of their market value or had no shot no matter how long they stayed.

Point is, each case is unique. The success, or lack thereof, of previous early entrants has no bearing on MCW's prospects. Of course we'd all love him to stick around, but if he's a top 10 pick at the end of the year it makes no difference whether he's ready. And I'm afraid the example of players like Sullinger, who stuck around too long and saw his stock drop, could scare players away from staying.

For every Jared Sullinger there is a Draymond Green.

Agree with your post, but there are players who stay 4 years and excel.

44cuse

It isn't about being ready as far as your game is concerned. It's about being in a spot to make as much money as you can. The 6 ot game made Flynn a star. It was his time to cash in. If he stayed, he would not have moved up in the draft.
And i'm sure Mr. Flynn was very smart with his NBA money .

And i'm sure Mr. Flynn was very smart with his NBA money .
I have no idea but if he stayed, it wouldn't have improved his game enough to change his nba future. And his nba stock would almost certainly have fell.

I have no idea but if he stayed, it wouldn't have improved his game enough to change his nba future. And his nba stock would almost certainly have fell.
Your right , sometimes you have to take the money and run .

His injury seemed to be the biggest detriment to his NBA future

For every Jared Sullinger there is a Draymond Green.

Agree with your post, but there are players who stay 4 years and excel.

44cuse

Draymond Green stayed all four years because he had no shot at getting drafted in the first 3. Whether a player succeeds in the NBA has no bearing on whether or not they should stay in school or not. If you and lottery pick go period in of discussion. The pluses (if there are any for the player) for staying are minuscule compared to the minuses. I "Professional Basketball Player" has a finite amount of time to make money, and injury can shorten or end it at anytime.

So in the same week that we are ripping MCW for doing something stupid that he probably wouldn't have done if he had a few million in his pocket let's not pretend he should stay in school so that he can continue to entertain us for free another year.

Draymond Green stayed all four years because he had no shot at getting drafted in the first 3. Whether a player succeeds in the NBA has no bearing on whether or not they should stay in school or not. If you and lottery pick go period in of discussion. The pluses (if there are any for the player) for staying are minuscule compared to the minuses. I "Professional Basketball Player" has a finite amount of time to make money, and injury can shorten or end it at anytime.

So in the same week that we are ripping MCW for doing something stupid that he probably wouldn't have done if he had a few million in his pocket let's not pretend he should stay in school so that he can continue to entertain us for free another year.

Are you really saying that Paul Harris and Eric Devendorf had chances to play in the NBA?

And, btw, Draymond Green could have left early (not in DG or JF land), but he could have if he wanted to.

Also, I am _the biggest_ proponent of kids leaving early on this board and have been since day 1. So you don't need to explain it to me. If you are a lottery pick...you go. But that is the economic reality...not necessarily what will maximize for long term value. See Green, Donte.

44cuse

Are you really saying that Paul Harris and Eric Devendorf had chances to play in the NBA?

And, btw, Draymond Green could have left early (not in DG or JF land), but he could have if he wanted to.

Also, I am _the biggest_ proponent of kids leaving early on this board and have been since day 1. So you don't need to explain it to me. If you are a lottery pick...you go. But that is the economic reality...not necessarily what will maximize for long term value. See Green, Donte.

44cuse

Paul yes Devo know. I know I quoted you but most of that post wasn't for you. D Green was out of shape his first 2 years and is not very athletic. The only reason he was drafted is because he a triple double machine his senior year and his efficiency was off the charts.

Paul yes Devo know. I know I quoted you but most of that post wasn't for you. D Green was out of shape his first 2 years and is not very athletic. The only reason he was drafted is because he a triple double machine his senior year and his efficiency was off the charts.

Ok got it. On a side note, D Green also is a pretty smart player. He knows the game. Work horse...he's that kind of guy that can stick because he can have a 5 pt 4 reb night and still make a big difference.

44cuse

Ok got it. On a side note, D Green also is a pretty smart player. He knows the game. Work horse...he's that kind of guy that can stick because he can have a 5 pt 4 reb night and still make a big difference.

44cuse

100% agreed! Just not a great athlete

It's not about these kids being NBA ready. It's about an NBA team willing to give you a 2-year guaranteed contract for $5 million. Who wouldn't take it?

It's not about these kids being NBA ready. It's about an NBA team willing to give you a 2-year guaranteed contract for $5 million. Who wouldn't take it?

exactly - if he is going to be a Top 10 pick - he HAS to go. It hurts to lose players like this to the NBA, but it also helps recruiting when they see that we can consistantly pump out Top 10 draft picks.

And here we go with the "MCW shouldn't go because I'm a pro talent scout and know what's best for him and JB and MCW don't know what they are doing" posts...

And here we go with the "MCW shouldn't go because I'm a pro talent scout and know what's best for him and JB and MCW don't know what they are doing" posts...

Um excuse me ... our real pro scout (ClownClownShoesShoes) has already covered this in depth ... MCW will definitely get drafted ... and it will be at least 25 slots ahead of Nassib in the NFL draft by the Jaguars ...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom