Syracuse players in the new AAF league. | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Syracuse players in the new AAF league.

Here’s a little tidbit. The Birmingham HC is Tim Lewis who applied for the SU HC job and made the final 4 when we hired GRob.
The guy who was the DC for the Giants? Cool.

It just seems more like a true developmental league for the NFL, than the original XFL. No nonsense. A look into play calling, and what felt like a really quick game. Right up my Alley.

Looks like it's only on CBS sports app, or NFL Network, today, in my area. Bummer
We have the sports package on Directv and the Memphis game is on CBS SN.

You got to take into consideration these teams had approximately a month to prep for the season, if lastnights games were any indication, this will be a very good league to watch imho. First game today was a bit sloppy and you can tell a lot of players aren’t in great shape but AET looked decent on a few plays.
The speed of the game time is enticing. Offensive lines and QBs seem to be weakest unfortunately right now on every team. But that’s to be expected.
All in all, I’m sold.

I missed it, what happened to Hackenwhateverhisnameis.

I missed it, what happened to Hackenwhateverhisnameis.
He got shut out, made some nice tosses and some terrible ones but didn’t get help either. Not sure his final numbers but started like 6-17 for 40 yards through 2 and half quarters or so. Not sure what he finished with

He got shut out, made some nice tosses and some terrible ones but didn’t get help either. Not sure his final numbers but started like 6-17 for 40 yards through 2 and half quarters or so. Not sure what he finished with

I thought I saw a different QB in there in Q4 so I was wondering if he got hurt or got pulled.

It just seems more like a true developmental league for the NFL, than the original XFL. No nonsense. A look into play calling, and what felt like a really quick game. Right up my Alley.

Looks like it's only on CBS sports app, or NFL Network, today, in my area.

Bummer

Games going forward are on NFL Network, CBS Sports Network, and Bleacher Report Live. They’ll also be on YouTube. The one that was on CBSSN was on YouTube yesterday.

San Diego had three of them.

7. Limited pass rush

On defense, no more than five players may rush on passing plays. No defensive player may rush from a position of more than two yards outside the widest offensive lineman and more than five yards from the line of scrimmage. The exceptions would be play-action or run-pass option plays and if the ball leaves the tackle box.
So basically no S or CB Blitzes, and a max five man rush? Do they have to stand up and put their arms in the air on FGs too? They still couldn't score more than 21 points for the game combined even with the handicapped D? I admit I didn't see the game but from here it doesn't seem like I'm missing much. I will check it out, but as a guy who likes a Shafer style attacking defense, this just seems poopy.

So basically no S or CB Blitzes, and a max five man rush? Do they have to stand up and put their arms in the air on FGs too? They still couldn't score more than 21 points for the game combined even with the handicapped D? I admit I didn't see the game but from here it doesn't seem like I'm missing much. I will check it out, but as a guy who likes a Shafer style attacking defense, this just seems poopy.
5 people can blitz, it says nothing about no S or CB blitzes. I fact one of the biggest hits I saw was on a CB blitz the QB didn't see.
You also have to remember these teams have had ONE month to practice, defense is going to be waaaay ahead of the offense right now.
Myself and the wife enjoyed the games, great pace and sure the offenses where a bit off but you can see some good things with the style of offenses they are playing.

Overnights:
Duke-UVA:2.3
AAF: 2.1
NBA on ABC: 2.0

Wow! Impressive. I'd like to know what XFL numbers were on their opening weekend.

Wow! Impressive. I'd like to know what XFL numbers were on their opening weekend.
Xfl did a 9.5 then nose dived.

Another thing I noticed. They actually let more crowd noise through, like they used to. I like that... There have been discussions on this board, noting old game broadcasts had much louder crowd noise in the broadcast. Another good choice.

After one week?

That's insane. I just found some XFL ratings numbers for the first weekend. Much higher than AAF's but it was also a slightly different time when people watched more broadcast tv than they do today. But ratings dived after the opening weekend. You'd hope the AAF folks would give it a minute or two before talking about expansion but maybe their business model doesn't require the same level of viewers and revenues as the XFL to work.

5 people can blitz, it says nothing about no S or CB blitzes. I fact one of the biggest hits I saw was on a CB blitz the QB didn't see.
You also have to remember these teams have had ONE month to practice, defense is going to be waaaay ahead of the offense right now.
Myself and the wife enjoyed the games, great pace and sure the offenses where a bit off but you can see some good things with the style of offenses they are playing.
Correct, technically a CB or S can blitz, just not from their normal position on the field. No more than 2 yards outside the OL and no more than 5 yards deep(LB position). So yes technically you can send one, but you have to show blitz by coming into the box before you do it. The 5 man limitation is really something too. Think about a normal 4-3 defense. You're already sending 4 DL, so you can only send 1 more guy? Never both a S and a LB? Essentially you'll never have a numbers advantage against the OL. Only 1v1 matchups at best. That means at least 6 back in coverage on every play. The more I think about it, the score seems to be spot on. I'd expect alot more 15-6, 13-8 type games. Running teams and ground and pound will take over.

That's insane. I just found some XFL ratings numbers for the first weekend. Much higher than AAF's but it was also a slightly different time when people watched more broadcast tv than they do today. But ratings dived after the opening weekend. You'd hope the AAF folks would give it a minute or two before talking about expansion but maybe their business model doesn't require the same level of viewers and revenues as the XFL to work.
The XFL ratings need to be taken into context. It was a completely new kind of product with stripper cheerleaders, hot tubs on the sideline, crazy rules, etc. Tons of people tuned in to see what it was about. Also, the promotion of the league online and on television was insane. There was nobody who hadn't heard of the XFL come kick off. McMahon made sure of that.
The AAF was announced last year, and there was hardly any promoting of it online, or on tv. There were people on this board who had no idea a league even started.
As for the gameplay...it's no different than giving a new HC some time. The o-lines, and QB play especially, should leave a lot to be desired after playing together for just a few months, and absolutely ZERO games. I imagine we're going to see a lot of low scoring sloppy games for a bit.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom