Syracuse should buy a train | Syracusefan.com

Syracuse should buy a train

CUSEBB1

2nd String
I think SU should buy the train they used for games.Charge 5 bucks a person.They can work something out with Congel to use some of his thousands of empty parking spots.Start at the mall with a stop at Armory Square.Deck the train out in Orange and call it the Syracuse Express.Me and the family loved taking the train up and going to Armory Square after to do other things.Or people can park at the mall and shop or catch a movie after.

Just an idea.I figure SU owns half the city now.Why not get into the train business.

I was a big fan of the train. Would love to see it make a return.

Sent from my ADR6300 using Tapatalk

I believe they turned the terminal into a businesses and apartments though.Shouldn't be to hard to build a new however.

Wait...that train that used to run from behind Lawrinson to the mall is gone?

That sucks..I lived on that thing as an underclassman in the late 90s...

The costs to operate the train far outweigh the revenue it'll bring in for 6-7 Saturdays.

That's why the original owners went bankrupt.

You may not care if SU loses money on the deal, but I'm pretty sure the bean counters on the Hill do.

The costs to operate the train far outweigh the revenue it'll bring in for 6-7 Saturdays.

That's why the original owners went bankrupt.

You may not care if SU loses money on the deal, but I'm pretty sure the bean counters on the Hill do.
The same reasoning should be used for the argument of implementing a High Speed Rails System, Initial Jobs, But in the long run Who will use and pay for it.

The same reasoning should be used for the argument of implementing a High Speed Rails System, Initial Jobs, But in the long run Who will use and pay for it.

Unless there's a high speed rail that can get me to Atlantic City in under 3 hours, I have no use for it. :)

If Cantor's whole philosophy is to put community relations (good) over USNews rankings, then I wouldn't mind funneling money into this.

If Cantor's whole philosophy is to put community relations (good) over USNews rankings, then I wouldn't mind funneling money into this.
As a student I would definitely mind Nancy throwing funds into the black hole this would be money wise. You can ride a bus into Armory Square/Carousel. Much cheaper for them to run than an extinct train system

Understandable. I'm just speaking as someone who never took public transportation to downtown Syracuse so I don't really know anything about all this. I just always prefer trains/subways over buses.

This whole thread is pointless. The tracks are operated by a privately held company, except portions leased from Onondaga county IDA or whatever it's called. A private freight carrier has other things on its mind, including liability insurance, that preclude it from even considering allowing some other enterprise to operate on its property.

The late owner of the railroad that operates the line was an SU law grad, and ran the train (A) for kicks for dear ol' alma mater and (B) to argue that public need was being met in order to secure public funds for some upgrades and rail infrastructure related projects. When Walter Rich died, the desire to run the operation at a loss did too.