Syracuse-St Bonaventure TV/Radio info, tip-off time [RSN / 7:00] | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Syracuse-St Bonaventure TV/Radio info, tip-off time [RSN / 7:00]

I guess it's all in who your provider is. I link ESPN3 to the TV all the time with a very good picture. The announcers----well that's another story.

Same here.

I guess it's all in who your provider is. I link ESPN3 to the TV all the time with a very good picture. The announcers----well that's another story.

This...I used a Roku to watch the last game on my TV and it was great HD quality. The announcers were horrible though.

I actually prefer this compared to the Fios SD channel that the game is on tonight.

This is off-topic, but just to pick up on your mention of "ESPN3 feeds", I need to get something off my chest. The ESPN3 "broadcasts" are absolutely terrible. Perfect example -- the Lehigh game. Rosie was the loan bright light ... the rest of it was amateur hour. The camera work was comically bad --- few angles, from too few cameras. They did replays over top of live game action, instead of waiting for a break. To top it off, the signal was fuzzy standard definition. They couldn't do the game in HD -- why, not enough bandwidth? Pathetic.

So media guys, help me out here. What is going on with this foolish ESPN3 stuff? The online broadcasts are obviously aimed at a younger audience .. who else could enjoy watching an SU game on a laptop or a phone. For those of us with TELEVISIONS, it's a completely sub-par medium that harkens back to the days when I was a kid trying to pick up a radio broadcast of SU in Olean. It baffles me that they insist on doing this. Why? ESPN has a contract with the ACC to allow third tier broadcasts. That means any regional carrier (TW in NY, MSG or MSG+ in NYC, etc..) will happily pick up the signal and do a real broadcast.

PLEASE ESPN ... I'm begging you ... stop doing SU games on ESPN3. It's awful. The games should be on television. If you're not going to make the effort to air a proper broadcast (for TV), then for god sake let the rights go to a regional carrier that will.

I don't love espn3, either, but my experience wasn't nearly so bad. I view through the ESPN app on the Xbox one. Video wasn't hd quality, but it wasn't that bad. Definitely not what I'd call "primitive." I remember radio broadcasts, too, and this was not in that league. Aside from the two maddening replays on top of live action examples you cited, I thought it was a decent way for me, out of market (Los Angeles) to see a game meaningless to the rest of the non-Cuse alum world.

I don't love espn3, either, but my experience wasn't nearly so bad. I view through the ESPN app on the Xbox one. Video wasn't hd quality, but it wasn't that bad. Definitely not what I'd call "primitive." I remember radio broadcasts, too, and this was not in that league. Aside from the two maddening replays on top of live action examples you cited, I thought it was a decent way for me, out of market (Los Angeles) to see a game meaningless to the rest of the non-Cuse alum world.
Zelda, you are obviously a much more patient person than I am. Here's my question for ESPN ... why force viewers to see a game online? You're loosing most of your audience, and pis*ing people off. Besides pretending that the internet is a viable broadcast medium for TV shows (it isn't), all ESPN3 does is force everyone into a techy, limited tunnel that they don't want to be in. Most people have a far superior medium for the purpose -- TELEVISION. There are plenty of regional carriers that would be more than happy to pay for the rights ... and would do a stupendously better job of broadcasting the game in HD.

I don't own an Xbox. And if I did, I'd rather watch the game on the neighbor's TV (from my house) than attempt to see a college hoops game using a video toy. I know you're using it as a processor ... but again, why?

Broadcast the game on television ... and stop this foolishness with a crappy computer signal and way too much technical hassle. Standard definition sucks. And so did the camera work. It was just a bad effort. The online experimentation is annoying and inferior.

Its listing as msg plus in the ny, but its not showing it on the tv guide channel.

Zelda, you are obviously a much more patient person than I am. Here's my question for ESPN ... why force viewers to see a game online? You're loosing most of your audience, and pis*ing people off. Besides pretending that the internet is a viable broadcast medium for TV shows (it isn't), all ESPN3 does is force everyone into a techy, limited tunnel that they don't want to be in. Most people have a far superior medium for the purpose -- TELEVISION. There are plenty of regional carriers that would be more than happy to pay for the rights ... and would do a stupendously better job of broadcasting the game in HD.

I don't own an Xbox. And if I did, I'd rather watch the game on the neighbor's TV (from my house) than attempt to see a college hoops game using a video toy. I know you're using it as a processor ... but again, why?

Broadcast the game on television ... and stop this foolishness with a crappy computer signal and way too much technical hassle. Standard definition sucks. And so did the camera work. It was just a bad effort. The online experimentation is annoying and inferior.
The game is on TV. It's available on a variety of regional sports channels... I have at least 4 of those.

Why ESPN3/WatchESPN? That's simple. There are 100 games and only a few ESPN channels (ESPN, ESPN2, ESPNU, ESPNNews). Which games should make it onto those 4 channels? It won't always be the Syracuse game.

With a decent Internet connection and a streaming device, these games are more than watchable. Due to network latency you'll be 30-60 seconds behind those who don't stream. This is really only an issue if you want to participate in the chat room.

I wish we had ESPN3, and friends, back in the day. How many games were there when your only option was a distant AM radio signal?

Would I like all of Syracuse's games (football, men's & women's hoops, men's & women's lax, soccer, etc.) to be on traditional ESPN channels? Of course... but the current situation isn't that bad. First world problems.

OK can't record the game like I usually do. My recorder is hooked up to a tv with standard cable, so it doesn't get the higher channels. So ESPN3 is subject to blackout in NY. What about the replay. Can I get the replay later tonight or tomorrow if I am blacked out "live"?

OK can't record the game like I usually do. My recorder is hooked up to a tv with standard cable, so it doesn't get the higher channels. So ESPN3 is subject to blackout in NY. What about the replay. Can I get the replay later tonight or tomorrow if I am blacked out "live"?
Yes, you can get the replay. Usually, an hour or two after the game ends.

You all keep apologizing for ESPN and trying to convince me that I should watch the game from an online "tunnel". Why? It's a huge hassle and a major reduction in quality. I can't record it or rewind it. The interface is 100 times more awkward than a remote. If I stream it on the computer, I get SD half the time and there's a message that states that the quality is subject to available bandwidth. I pay for the ESPN College 2 that was supposed to broadcast the game. They blacked it out -- you know, because they care so much for their fans. Apparently, yet another greedy FOX/MSGPlus2 move was afoot to extort the cable stations to pick up MSGPlus2. This explains why "not enough channels" has nothing to do with it -- there are 20 regional carriers who would gladly pony up for the rights and air the game IF ESPN/MSG weren't going to broadcast it on a channel available in the prime viewing area. TW also didn't step up to the plate. Not a good effort from the "home" of SU BB.

As far as ESPN (and its apologists) go (es), I'm sick of the online nonsense. I have a big, UHD TV with a hard wired connection. Telling me I have to sit in front of my computer is like making me tow my car with my lawn mower. It's stupid. And it's unnecessary. For those who understand 3d tier rights, if ESPN (or MSGPlus2) can't get their together to broadcast the game where it belongs == ON TV== then they should give up the GD rights to a regional carrier that can. Enough.

Last edited:
You all keep apologizing for ESPN and trying to convince me that I should watch the game from an online "tunnel". Why? It's a huge hassle and a major reduction in quality. I can't record it or rewind it. The interface is 100 times more awkward than a remote. If I stream it on the computer, I get SD half the time and there's a message that states that the quality is subject to available bandwidth. I pay for the ESPN College 2 that was supposed to broadcast the game. They blacked it out -- you know, because they care so much for their fans. Apparently, yet another greedy FOX/MSGPlus2 move was afoot to extort the cable stations to pick up MSGPlus2. This explains why "not enough channels" has nothing to do with it -- there are 20 regional carriers who would gladly pony up for the rights and air the game IF ESPN would release it. Usually it's TW here in upstate NY. But apparently they didn't step up to the plate. Not a good effort from the "home" of SU BB.

As far as ESPN (and its apologists) go (es), I'm sick of the online nonsense. I have a big, UHD TV with a hard wired connection. Telling me I have to sit in front of my computer is like making me tow my car with my lawn mower. It's stupid. And it's unnecessary. For those who understand 3d tier rights, if ESPN (or MSGPlus2) can't get their . . . . together to broadcast the game where it belongs == ON TV== then they should give up the GD rights to a regional carrier that can. Enough.
  1. It sounds like the game was available from your video service provider, but likely in a package or tier that you don't subscribe to.
  2. Syracuse games typically fall into 4 buckets: a) network games (ESPN, CBS, ABC, etc.); b) Regional Sports Networks (e.g. MSG plus, NESN, the various Fox networks, etc.); c) ACC Network (local stations around the country); d) local coverage (e.g. TWC). Most games are also covered by ESPN3/WatchESPN, with blackouts possible for games in the latter buckets (b-d).
  3. If you have a Roku, Apple TV or Fire streaming device then you'll be able to watch the game on your TV mad use the device's remote to control playback.

1. It sounds like the game was available from your video service provider, but likely in a package or tier that you don't subscribe to.
  2. Syracuse games typically fall into 4 buckets: a) network games (ESPN, CBS, ABC, etc.); b) Regional Sports Networks (e.g. MSG plus, NESN, the various Fox networks, etc.); c) ACC Network (local stations around the country); d) local coverage (e.g. TWC). Most games are also covered by ESPN3/WatchESPN, with blackouts possible for games in the latter buckets (b-d).
  3. If you have a Roku, Apple TV or Fire streaming device then you'll be able to watch the game on your TV mad use the device's remote to control playback.
I have an ESPN College Game pass that I pay extra for. Its channel 393, and the game was scheduled to be on that channel. My provider is TW. When I tuned into the game (recording it), the screen was blank. I called TW, and found myself in the middle of a despicable corporate channel game. MSG bought the rights to the game (so ESPN couldn't show it). Obviously, MSG knew full well when it purchased the rights that it had other commitments for MSG and MSGPlus in that time slot. So they pushed the SU-St. B game onto an overflow channel (MSGPlus2) that they know isn't provided in many areas in the upstate NY area (where most viewers are located).

The purpose of doing this is obvious (since MSG knew they had no room): they wanted to use us (the SU fans) as hostages to leverage TW into adding MSGPlus2 as a channel.

TW is not without blame either. They hold themselves out as the "Home" of SU Basketball. Unfortunately for their subscribers, they didn't purchase the rights to the SU-Bonnies game and let MSG buy them (without enough space). So we're stuck up here in a silly channel dispute between two rival cable providers.

So I couldn't watch the game, even though I pay for an ESPN Game Pass -- because MSG bought the rights and shunted them onto a channel that TW doesn't provide in my area. I don't know why TW didn't buy them (if you're the "home" of SU BB, then buy the games). And I don't know why ESPN would sell MSG the rights knowing full well that it didn't have channel space and would "broadcast" the games on an overflow channel that many people in the prime viewing area don't have.

Needless to say, I'm not happy. And I don't like being used as a hostage by MSG. If they want TW to carry MSGPlus2, then call TW. Don't use us as pawns.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseEagle8

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom