Syracuse staff versus Hopkins/Washington | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Syracuse staff versus Hopkins/Washington

Thank you. I think it becomes especially interesting to watch considering Hop is a former west coast guy, whose entire coaching ties lie on the east coast prior to landing the Washington job. He's kind of in a unique position to be able to perhaps recruit both areas well. He was long considered our best most feared recruiter.

Those that are confident in the SU staff's ability to recruit without Hop should not mind keeping tabs on this message board.
I'm cautiously optimistic, but I don't know how it will go. Hop is a great catch for Washington. I too, wish Hop well except for head to head match ups.

That said, if we out recruit Hop it will quiet the critics. If Hop outperforms us, then we can acknowledge it and look to improve. Either way that's a win.

Go Orange!
Being outrecruited is not a win.

I think i smell some sour grapes in here. Jazz is correct, if we had signed this guy early, our priorities change.

It's really amusing to me how some(not all) people sing the praises of some of these kids until Cuse misses out on them and then start rationalizing. "The coaches backed away". Ok, why? From an eyewitness, it sounds more like Wright snubbed JB. Of course largely unfounded innuendo often gets more "likes" than the truth does on here, reflective of our society as a whole.

As Jazz notes, we dont know how the recruits from either team are going to turn out. Maybe we will find it a blessing we missed out on multiple first choices both this season and next. Maybe we wont. The uncertainty makes it worth tuning in. Either way, I think Hop is off to a great start for a rookie who had to move across a continent, and is arguably doing a better job there than he was here when you consider the circumstances.

Being outrecruited is not a win.

IF we find ourself getting outrecruited, AND we acknowledge it AND rectify it, it becomes an area in which we grow/improve. Growth and improvement, in my opinion, are always a win.

Same as any obstacle in life, if you grow from that obstacle you win. If you don't move on/grow from a life obstacle you become a victim. I choose growth.

That said, it's WAY too early to say that Hop or UW is outperforming us.

Of course largely unfounded innuendo often gets more "likes" than the truth does on here, reflective of our society as a whole.

Me thinks you're right! No matter what the topic is, speaking an opinion that varies from consensus usually results in negative responses. It seems to be a human condition... the need to be accepted and conformity.

That's why I'm the "Legendary underdog and free-thinker." Keep up the good work CaptainJ! ;)

Who cares? It is comparing Washington apples to Syracuse Oranges. (See what I did there). There will be significant early overlap. He will have spots and a built in dynamic. Part of who he recruits will be predicated on how they perform. Just like us. He is dynamic and charismatic. We are SU. It is impossible to draw meaningful comparisons based upon the vagaries of geography, tradition, and the minds of boys. I am among those who believe that losing Hopkins and gaining security with JB was a clear net plus. Hop is no longer "us", so he is "them".

Who cares? It is comparing Washington apples to Syracuse Oranges. (See what I did there). There will be significant early overlap. He will have spots and a built in dynamic. Part of who he recruits will be predicated on how they perform. Just like us. He is dynamic and charismatic. We are SU. It is impossible to draw meaningful comparisons based upon the vagaries of geography, tradition, and the minds of boys. I am among those who believe that losing Hopkins and gaining security with JB was a clear net plus. Hop is no longer "us", so he is "them".

I like your play on words! Very clever. I also agree in premise that side by side comparison is not necessarily valuable because of many variables.

But, for many on this board, especially those that have taken heat for even suggesting that Syracuse recruiting is down trending,it may provide one of the best gauges of health. Pre-Hop - post-Hop.

I'm skeptical that the extension of JB (even though he is without question one of the best coaches EVER) will solidify the program.

It might help with the next class or two (and especially with the one or two and done guys). But many of the elite players have been spurning us for the blue bloods.

If I was a high school player today, I would want to know who I'm playing for for my entire career. That is not a given with a head coach who will be nearing 80 years old at the end of this contract. I'm not convinced this provides enough stability.

It's a hard position to be in. And I think gauging the pre/post Hop recruiting could prove invaluable. Like I posted before...

If we outrecruit Hop for the next 4 years it will close the mouths of the critics. If we come up short, we have an opportunity to see it, acknowledge it, and rectify it.

That said, I think the next few years will be very telling. I don't (like some folks) think we are collapsing anytime soon. I do, however, think there are important reasons to be measuring the health of our recruiting. The future of our program depends on our willingness to honestly evaluate it.

anyone think its possible there was a "gentleman's agreement" between Hopkins and Boeheim over which players each woudl continue to recruit, at least for the 2017 class?

anyone think its possible there was a "gentleman's agreement" between Hopkins and Boeheim over which players each woudl continue to recruit, at least for the 2017 class?

If there was, I highly doubt we'll ever hear about it.

If nothing else, this adds some drama and extra intrigue to the offseason, which can be as entertaining as the actual games themselves. Good message board material. I try to look for the good in things, so even if Hop had a little extra fire to "Boeheim" Boeheim(which some here refuse to believe is even possible, even though none of us know what went down), that would likely also reinvigorate a JB whom some have suggested seemed to have gotten relatively lethargic on the recruiting trail.

I'm hoping that Hop's hiking stoked the cooling embers of recruiting in Boeheim's heart. My head tells me it's likely.

1425_3.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom