Syracuse Still in the Mix for 2015 Recruit Derrick Jones/CJ Has Opportunity with Mavs This Summer | Syracusefan.com

Syracuse Still in the Mix for 2015 Recruit Derrick Jones/CJ Has Opportunity with Mavs This Summer

sutomcat

No recent Cali or Iggy awards; Mr Irrelevant
-82cc525044159628.jpg

Derrick Jones Still Considering Syracuse

On Monday, though, Myers said Syracuse remains firmly in the mix for the athletic Jones.

"They're definitely still in the mix,'' Myers said. "They're still in the picture. That was just Derrick's August schedule.''

Myers said Jones didn't feel the need to set up a visit to Syracuse in August because of SU's promixity and the fact that Jones has seen the SU campus before. He participated in Syracuse's Elite Camp last year.

"He'll probably go see Syracuse in September,'' Myers said. "He may go to (Orange) Madness. He's still very interested in Syracuse.''

CJ Fair Has Opportunity with Mav's in NBA Summer League (PS; Waters)

After not hearing his name called on the night of the NBA draft, all C.J. Fair wanted was a chance. A chance to make an NBA team's roster.

The Dallas Mavericks offered Fair the chance when they signed him to play for their team in the NBA's Las Vegas Summer League.

On Monday, the Mavericks announced their full roster for the Las Vegas Summer League, which begins play this Friday, and Fair would seem to have a good chance to get some playing time and the opportunity to showcase his skills for Dallas and the rest of the NBA.

The Mavericks' roster includes a handful of players that share Fair's characteristics as a small forward who could eventually grow into the power forward position.

Javon McCrea is a 6-7 forward from the University at Buffalo. Eric Griffin is a 6-8 forward out of Campbell University. Both are rookies. James Nunnally is a 6-7 second-year forward out of UC-Santa Barbara who spent last year in the D-League. Sean Evans, who played at St. John's, is more of a power forward.

Last edited:
Happy for CJ, and happy to see that Jones and Bryant still look like more than a glimmer. I really hope our staff makes it happen with one of them and we become the "Duke" or "Kentucky", regardless of what our other guys' rankings slip to. Rather than complaining about old games, I want to be doing the Aaron Rogers' title belt(aka discount double check) as I point to my SU gear in enemy territory. If we land one of these 2, there is no reason why that wouldn't be realistic.

If Roberson or McCullough enter the draft, I think the coach's recruiting order would be Diallo, Bryant, and then Jones. I doubt Diallo will choose Orange because of all of his other offers. I think we have a better chance to get Bryant over Diallo. What I do like about Jones is he really wants to go to Syracuse but he is only 6'6". And the 2-3 zone needs trees on the back line and tall guards on the front line. So Jones is kind of in the middle between the back line and the front line of the zone. So I am not sure the coaching staff would want him over Bryant.