Syracuse to play Central Connecticut | Syracusefan.com

Syracuse to play Central Connecticut

Isn't CentralConn. the school UConn struggles with every year? Are they a D1 school?

Isn't CentralConn. the school UConn struggles with every year? Are they a D1 school?
They're D1. I don't believe UConn has played them in a while. They are in the NEC, they've had a few solid players over the years, but this nothing more than another win vs. a 200+ RPI team.

CCSU wins the NEC pretty often. We'll beat them by 20-30, but they're a tough little team.

CCSU wins the NEC pretty often. We'll beat them by 20-30, but they're a tough little team.

CCSU has three NEC titles in their history, last one being 2007. Not really pretty often. LIU and Robert Morris are the better teams in the league, LIU having won in each of the last two years...

Plus CCSU losses it's top two scorers from last year and will rely on a lot of young players. I expect a blowout.

last few seasons we've started big east play by the time new years rolls around. last year we played depaul on new years day.

Howie's a good coach, but Central is overmatched against decent D1 schools, Cuse should roll them by about 35-40. Even taking into consideration how bad UConn will be this year, Central will be worse (more a testament to how bad they are). Central might be the 4th best team in the state of Connecticut (behind UConn, Quinnipiac, Fairfield but ahead of Sacred Heart, I'm not sure where Yale falls this year).

Wow, that's one of those games that ensures no #1 spot in attendance. Monday night + New Year's Eve = small crowd.

Facts about CCSU:

Lost last season to Yale, Quinnipiac and Sacred Heart but beat Hartford. They are probably among the top 10 college basketball programs in the state of Connecticut.
One of two directional Connecticut Universities where Paul Pasqualoni did NOT serve as the head coach (also was not HC at Eastern Connecticut State University).
Located in New Britain which is indeed in Connecticut. New Britain is where the wire coat hanger was invented. This is arguably Connecticut's biggest contribution to the modern world.
Founded as New Britain Normal School in 1849, with a mission to train teachers. It was the 6th normal school in the United States.
Became a university in 1983.
Alma mater of Richard Grieco, native of Watertown NY/former teen heartthrop.
Alma mater of John Hirschbeck, major league umpire best known for getting spat at in the face by Roberto Alomar.

Wow, that's one of those games that ensures no #1 spot in attendance. Monday night + New Year's Eve = small crowd.

Really......why schedule that game in this way?

-It doesn't help the team to play a shitty opponent.
-Fans aren't going to be excited to see C. UConn on the schedule at any time.
-I wouldn't think that fans are going to be particularly excited to see any opponent short of some marquee game on New -Years' Eve.
-Given opponent and holiday evening, could this be the worst attended game on the upcoming schedule?

-How small does the turnout have to be where the additional opponent is a money losing proposition? Might be a good argument for the proposition...just because you can, doesn't mean you should.

-I wouldn't think that fans are going to be particularly excited to see any opponent short of some marquee game on New -Years' Eve.
-Given opponent and holiday evening, could this be the worst attended game on the upcoming schedule?

-How small does the turnout have to be where the additional opponent is a money losing proposition? Might be a good argument for the proposition...just because you can, doesn't mean you should.
I believe it was 2 years ago that there were some Big East conference games on New Years Eve, and those games were even horrid attendance.

Would they do a noon Monday game perhaps? I can't see this game being 7PM on NYE...

I believe it was 2 years ago that there were some Big East conference games on New Years Eve, and those games were even horrid attendance.

Would they do a noon Monday game perhaps? I can't see this game being 7PM on NYE...

Or at least do it at like 2:00 p.m. on Sunday. Still, guarantee games don't draw well, even when students are on campus. (Then again, this could be Boeheim's win #903 if we have a perfect non-conference again. Could end up getting a better-than-expected walkup, though the holiday weekend will pose a problem.)

We drew pretty well for Seton Hall on the 27th or 28th this past year; about the same (though it was a Saturday afternoon) for Notre Dame on the first the year before that. No idea why we won't have started the Big East schedule by this date; it's probably a recipe for an announced crowd of 16,237 with about six thousand people in the seats.

Howie's a good coach, but Central is overmatched against decent D1 schools, Cuse should roll them by about 35-40. Even taking into consideration how bad UConn will be this year, Central will be worse (more a testament to how bad they are). Central might be the 4th best team in the state of Connecticut (behind UConn, Quinnipiac, Fairfield but ahead of Sacred Heart, I'm not sure where Yale falls this year).

I'm not sure I'd put them ahead of Sacred Heart this year. Losing Horton/Ptacek is huge. Shane Gibson is one of the top scorers in the country for Sacred Heart.

I'd be surprised if CCSU is higher than a 7 seed in the NEC Tournament. They're going to be down.

I'm not sure I'd put them ahead of Sacred Heart this year. Losing Horton/Ptacek is huge. Shane Gibson is one of the top scorers in the country for Sacred Heart.

I'd be surprised if CCSU is higher than a 7 seed in the NEC Tournament. They're going to be down.

Fair enough, both are bad teams IMO.

It will be nice to play the best team from Connecticut next season, even if it is an out of conference game.

I look forward to enjoying syracuse basketball with the family on new years eve though. :D
Some of my favorite games of the year are around thanksgiving and New Years.

I look forward to enjoying syracuse basketball with the family on new years eve though. :D
Some of my favorite games of the year are around thanksgiving and New Years.

Yeah SU vs. Central Connecticut has the potential to be a classic.

Or at least do it at like 2:00 p.m. on Sunday. Still, guarantee games don't draw well, even when students are on campus. (Then again, this could be Boeheim's win #903 if we have a perfect non-conference again. Could end up getting a better-than-expected walkup, though the holiday weekend will pose a problem.)

Wouldn't think the school would want to compete with the NFL on a Sunday but then again why would they want to compete with a college bowl game on New Years Eve.

I'm guessing the check to CCSU is in the range of $30-40K, maybe less since it is on NYE, but it's hardly a losing proposition. The money made just off beer and concessions will keep the school in the black on this one.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom