Syracuse-URI Impressions | Syracusefan.com

Syracuse-URI Impressions

Two things:

1) I love your hope for the OL, but I think we are in serious trouble for the year with this group.

2) I really like the way you ended the article. I have been a fan since the mid 80s (basically when I was old enough to realize what football was), so I really have had trouble handling the downturn of the program and find myself with little to no patience when we lose or play like we did against URI. Your perspective is refreshing.

You make two great points on Bailey, IMO. In the last two seasons he piled up 866 yards on close to 5 ypc. That doesn't make him an all-american, nor does is it make him immune to criticism, but I'd venture a guess to say that if he cut the wrong way a few times vs. Maine it was much more likely a case of his having a bad game then suddenly becoming a guy that doesn't have the vision to be a starting RB in the big east.

The other point on his catching the ball is one I meant to make as well, so I'm glad you brought it up. A guy who has 62 catches for more than 500 yards and 3 TDs the last two years has touched the ball once as a receiver this season? That HAS to change.

Agree as well on the OL (sometimes it takes time for a unit to gel; let's hope that's the case here), DEs (disappointing), DTs (pretty impressive), P. Thomas, and Spruill. I also maintain that Lynch appears to have the look of a starter at LB in the VERY near future -- not a knock on Vaughan, who has played well, but I just think he's a kid that has very legit skills and instincts.

offensive is best way to describe the upfront guys...this was supposed to be one of our strenghts and it certainly has not been the case in the first two games...it has been lacking in run blocking and pass blocking...neither has been good. Without the offensive front line establishing themselves...our running and passing game will not be up to our expectations.

Two things:

1) I love your hope for the OL, but I think we are in serious trouble for the year with this group.

I'm forever the optimist, I guess.

2) I really like the way you ended the article. I have been a fan since the mid 80s (basically when I was old enough to realize what football was), so I really have had trouble handling the downturn of the program and find myself with little to no patience when we lose or play like we did against URI. Your perspective is refreshing.

We will never know.. But I think if the oline was playing as expected we probably are not talking about all the play calling, close wins, and everyone is talking upset.. The issue not not 8-9 men in the box.. in fact the coaches probably like the 8-9 in the box if its a result of teams not being able to stop the run, but teams can sell out in the box and still cause issues on our pass plays..

I also wonder how so many guys can beat our oline to the spot on key plays. Are we thinking too much? I think we are making mistakes in blocking schemes and protection calls that is adding to the normal talent issues the oline has..

Great writeup Dan... the only thing I disagree with you on, and its actually more of stronger position towards one extreme than a real disagreement, is with Bailey. If not for one explosive run (which may have never happened if he doesn't fumble away the ball a couple carries earlier), he has been horrible. He isn't a 30-touch back, as in he isn't going to carry the ball 25 times AND catch 5 more. So since we know that, it is time to go away from his weaknesses and more towards his strengths. He can do dynamic things in space..... increase the catches. He is a liability on first down runs...... decrease his carries. He can still be the feature back, but there is a difference between feature, and workhorse.

I was definitely one of the people who was saying Bailey shouldn't be a feature back, and I still feel that way. But I think a little clarification is also in order. By feature back, I mean that he shouldn't get 70%-80% or more of the carries. I think he should have to share the load more. Do I think he should get more carries/touches than any other back? Sure. But I don't think that he is big enough or durable enough to take the kind of beating that Delone did the last few years. After Bailey hurt his leg, he didn't look the same. He caught that one pass out of the backfield later in the game and was hesitant and didn't have his burst. We're only in game two. We need that burst. I would have liked for Smith to get a few more carries. PTG looked legit in his touches, and I had reserved judgement until Saturday. It can't be said enough. Delone was always able to fall forward for that extra yard or two. We need to find out if Adonis or Jerome can do the same thing.

I was definitely one of the people who was saying Bailey shouldn't be a feature back, and I still feel that way. But I think a little clarification is also in order. By feature back, I mean that he shouldn't get 70%-80% or more of the carries. I think he should have to share the load more. Do I think he should get more carries/touches than any other back? Sure. But I don't think that he is big enough or durable enough to take the kind of beating that Delone did the last few years. After Bailey hurt his leg, he didn't look the same. He caught that one pass out of the backfield later in the game and was hesitant and didn't have his burst. We're only in game two. We need that burst. I would have liked for Smith to get a few more carries. PTG looked legit in his touches, and I had reserved judgement until Saturday. It can't be said enough. Delone was always able to fall forward for that extra yard or two. We need to find out if Adonis or Jerome can do the same thing.

The difference between this year and last year... Last year Delone would get 3 yards on a blown assignment. This year we get one. Last year we had no problem running Delone again, and three more yards makes it 3rd and manageable. This year, you pretty much have to pass because you worry about Bailey getting stuffed again, if it's incomplete, Ryan is forced to make a play on a predictable 3-and-long. AT THE VERY WORST, that is what made DC our MVP.

The difference between this year and last year... Last year Delone would get 3 yards on a blown assignment. This year we get one. Last year we had no problem running Delone again, and three more yards makes it 3rd and manageable. This year, you pretty much have to pass because you worry about Bailey getting stuffed again, if it's incomplete, Ryan is forced to make a play on a predictable 3-and-long. AT THE VERY WORST, that is what made DC our MVP.

If you win first down, it makes life so much easier. I felt like with Delone, we always had a shot to win first down. I don't feel that way anymore.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarlsbergMD

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom