Syracuse's Offensive Identity (SI.com) | Syracusefan.com

Syracuse's Offensive Identity (SI.com)

Whitey23

Twitter Wizard
Syracuse has lacked a definitive offensive identity since Donovan McNabb left in 1998. Greg Robinson failed miserably at installing a pro-style offense, and Doug Marrone tinkered with a bit of everything to varying degrees of success. In Scott Shafer's second season as head coach, offensive coordinator George McDonald plans to solve the identity crisis. "We're going to open it up on offense and go full-bore fast," McDonald said. "Like an Oregon, Texas A&M style of offense."

The Orange didn't have enough skill players to go full-throttle last season, but the Orange hinted at their offensive future by running 75 plays in a 21-17 Texas Bowl win over Minnesota. McDonald said there's nine offensive starters returning, including versatile quarterback Terrel Hunt, and a bumper recruiting class coming that will raise the tempo.

Syracuse adds an influx of speed, with four-star receiver K.J. Williams and three-star receiver Jamal Custis. (Three-star receiver Corey Cooper has already enrolled). The capper would be a commitment from North Miami Beach receiver Steve Ishmael, who is deciding between Syracuse, Louisville, Cincinnati and Illinois.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/co...ban-lane-kiffin-al-golden-james-franklin/#all

That's why Ishmael was so important. This particular offense can work with a downfield threat.

With a year under his belt, Hunt will be markedly improved this year IMO. The confidence and game-winning attitude is already in place. Just needed some more weapons to throw to.

Spread em' out baby! We have to the perfect stadium to sling the rock around the field. I love the way Oregon and Baylor do it, because they don't abandon the run game which I love too. Exciting future for Cuse! I hope McD stays for atleast 4 years and then we promote Lester to Offensive Coordinator if he's still around. Love this coaching staff!

Rocco said:
That's why Ishmael was so important. This particular offense can work with a downfield threat. With a year under his belt, Hunt will be markedly improved this year IMO. The confidence and game-winning attitude is already in place. Just needed some more weapons to throw to.

Will Ish be the downfield threat? His time is average and in his highlight tapes it didn't seem like he went deep much at all. Of course I have no idea how far his QB can throw a ball.

Will Ish be the downfield threat? His time is average and in his highlight tapes it didn't seem like he went deep much at all. Of course I have no idea how far his QB can throw a ball.

I tend to think our downfield threats could be a combo of Cornelius, Winfield, Ish, and Cooper. Idk how accurate most reported 40 times are, but the other wideouts just seem like big, possession/redzone types. If Estime gets his hands together he could blow by the coverage. Exciting to think about. Only time will tell, but I see some exciting offense in our future!

I'm sorry, I just blacked out for a second while reading that. What did it say is happening?

LOL, agreed. Believe when I see it, it sounds like we have the parts and pieces, I think our backfield will be better suited for it as well. I certainly like the idea though. Can't take for granted what the game experience will do for Hunt's progression as well. If they get the O Line in peak physical condition, I think it can take some stress off them as well, quicker reads and a QB that can make people miss

I think he and AC will be yes.

He's going to have to simplify the playbook and speed up the play calls.

Bingo. He was so limited this year that he ran an offense that worked to the O's few strengths. They all knew how crucial it was for them to get to a bowl game for the practices and the exposure on the recruiting end.

He wants a faster, spread out offense at the end of the day. This year we should see more of that.

Hunt slung it deep and connected as much as Nassib did the season before - maybe more. By deep, I mean 20-40. 60 yard passes are just not a big part of any offense (unless you have Randy Moss).

Ishmael's speed isn't top flight - but his hands and route running make up for it. Watch his tape.

With the right offensive design/route combinations, you can still hit big plays without a track star at WR. This is where I am real curious to see what McDonald does because I felt that last year's passing didn't offer much in this area.

One thing about having some of these large WRs coming in is that Hunt won't need to be a completely accurate deep ball thrower. Underthrown? Let a 6'4" KJ go up and get it. Overthrown a tad? Might just be that a 6'6" Custis could make a play on it that Chris Clark couldn't. The bigger the target, the more likely a poor throw can be caught.

Hunt slung it deep and connected as much as Nassib did the season before - maybe more. By deep, I mean 20-40. 60 yard passes are just not a big part of any offense (unless you have Randy Moss).

Ishmael's speed isn't top flight - but his hands and route running make up for it. Watch his tape.

I meant his high school QB. I did watch his tape as well as the others. I didn't see much difference between his and a couple others. Which is a good thing because they aren't all going to pan out. Just need a couple to.

As mentioned McDonald needs to pare down that playbook and get the plays in 3x as fast if he wants to match the tempo of Oregon and A&M.

Hence the reason Jerome Smith went pro... They definately whispered to him that he would be de-emphasized... Quicker, scat backs with good hands will be the norm in the short-term... PTG fits... Phillips fits... Morris has good lean... Smith square peg round hole...

I'm all for the speed aspect of it but I also want more efficiency. We don't need 900 plays. Run variations of 50 or so plays and have them mastered at a quick tempo and I think we could have a fairly dynamic offense next year with the speed of the roster. Hunt also needs to continue to improve his deep ball, which I think he is more than capable of, to truly have this offense working up to its potential.

Hence the reason Jerome Smith went pro... They definately whispered to him that he would be de-emphasized... Quicker, scat backs with good hands will be the norm in the short-term... PTG fits... Phillips fits... Morris has good lean... Smith square peg round hole...
this is crazy talk. it might also be what they believe but if it is they're nuts. 2000 yards the last two years, nice knowing ya!

Millhouse said:
this is crazy talk. it might also be what they believe but if it is they're nuts. 2000 yards the last two years, nice knowing ya!

I don't even think it was whispered - he probably could tell just by how he was used this past season.

I want points not yards! We need to average 30+ per game to get anywhere special. To that end, I like the pieces that could be on the table because we could be tough in the red zone, especially with Hunt's running ability.

One pet peeve - the staff really needs to work on the O Line penalties - they are such drive killers and with their experience it just shouldn't be happening. I think they will.

orangemass said:

Which is crap. Best back on the team the last 2 years.