Taggart being treated unfairly | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Taggart being treated unfairly

There is giving time... that said nothing about what fsu is doing looks good or appears to be a need to "give time".

The talent is not that bad.. put them at other schools theyare at least productive.

Taggart looks lost, not frustrated, lost.

The record isn't the problem, it's more the eye test. But hell, it's not like we didn't get drubbed by BC under Jimbo in a game as easily as embarrassing as these.

As for the play calling...there's virtually nothing you can do with this line. You've seen the clips of our tackles I'm sure from your game, it's ludicrous. We have zero tackles...all our tackles are guards, and they're not an FBS caliber unit. There's just nothing there, for a lot of reasons...recruiting, attrition, development, injury. We had a play where we got called for holding on a bubble screen pitch out. What does that take...one second, one and a half seconds? We literally can't protect for two seconds...there's no play calling for that. Teams can rush four, drop seven, and get to the QB or the RB within two seconds...you can't scheme that.

Somehow, they've got to find a combination, and do enough between game coaching, to raise the level of the line to merely very bad, or there's not much you can do.
It's funny Lou C - not to compare Syracuse to FSU at all. You guys are definitely in the blue blood class in CFB. But I did get a feeling watching that game reminding me of our Greg Robinson years. When we thought we had some talent - but the players had no clue what to do. FSU - particularly on offense - seemed completely disorganized. And Francois seemed angry at the line from time to time. Didn't seem like a team out there. Perhaps I'm wrong and it's just growing pains...

Somebody has to say it so I will...don't think the color of his skin doesn't have anything to do with it!
Im not saying being african american is the reason why he getting heavy criticism. His team not looking good is the reason but it doesnt mean black head coaches dont have a shorter leash. There is more pressure to win. They are coaching for all african americans coaches. The fear of less opportunities given to them if they mess up.

The record isn't the problem, it's more the eye test. But hell, it's not like we didn't get drubbed by BC under Jimbo in a game as easily as embarrassing as these.

As for the play calling...there's virtually nothing you can do with this line. You've seen the clips of our tackles I'm sure from your game, it's ludicrous. We have zero tackles...all our tackles are guards, and they're not an FBS caliber unit. There's just nothing there, for a lot of reasons...recruiting, attrition, development, injury. We had a play where we got called for holding on a bubble screen pitch out. What does that take...one second, one and a half seconds? We literally can't protect for two seconds...there's no play calling for that. Teams can rush four, drop seven, and get to the QB or the RB within two seconds...you can't scheme that.

Somehow, they've got to find a combination, and do enough between game coaching, to raise the level of the line to merely very bad, or there's not much you can do.
Line is truely awful

Im not saying being african american is the reason why he getting heavy criticism. His team not looking good is the reason but it doesnt mean black head coaches dont have a shorter leash. There is more pressure to win. They are coaching for all african americans coaches. The fear of less opportunities given to them if they mess up.

I agree with you Money...all things being equal, but as we know, they aren't. While I will admit that most of the noise may be legit, as you stated, there is pressure not to screw it up for the next because even now some don't think African Americans can be head coaches..coordinators sure, but not a head coach. Everything they do is overly scrutinized and often misunderstood. FSU is a team of 4 and 5 star athletes. The coach can only put them in the position, they have to make the plays...seems to me like FSU hasn't completely bought into the system. I do want to point out one thing that you said though, I think if you ask any African American or Minority coach they will say that nothing was given to them. They would say they earned the opportunity to be interviewed and/or hired for their position.

Someday coaches are going to realize these football factories are all filled with stupid idiots, and they’ll stay put in their lower pressure job that they’ve already built into a winner.

Good money + job security>>>> Great money + dealing with stupid idiots breathing down your neck in week 3 of year 1.

I learned from We Are Marshall that the best offense to run when you have a porous offensive line is the veer.

Taggart started 7-21 at USF, then went 18-4. But he won't get to 7-21 in Tallahassee.

The fans were turning on Jimbo last year...he knew it was time to leave the sinking ship.

I agree with you Money...all things being equal, but as we know, they aren't. While I will admit that most of the noise may be legit, as you stated, there is pressure not to screw it up for the next because even now some don't think African Americans can be head coaches..coordinators sure, but not a head coach. Everything they do is overly scrutinized and often misunderstood. FSU is a team of 4 and 5 star athletes. The coach can only put them in the position, they have to make the plays...seems to me like FSU hasn't completely bought into the system. I do want to point out one thing that you said though, I think if you ask any African American or Minority coach they will say that nothing was given to them. They would say they earned the opportunity to be interviewed and/or hired for their position.
No doubt

If I was wagering on Frost, Taggart and Kelly as to who will succeed and who wouldn't. Well I could debate Frost versus Kelly and I would probably go with Frost but Taggart would be such a distant 3rd it wouldn't even be worth discussing.

Kelly just seems like such a jerk. Having his players do that conditioning thing during a game? What is that? I have a feeling he’s going to flame out.

Kelly just seems like such a jerk. Having his players do that conditioning thing during a game? What is that? I have a feeling he’s going to flame out.

I agree with you regarding Kelly. It looks like the qb's father is now calling Kelly out too. They have looked inept the little bit I've watched them too.

I think Taggart will win at FSU if given time. Problem is that I don't think their fans will give him 3 years.

I agree with you regarding Kelly. It looks like the qb's father is now calling Kelly out too. They have looked inept the little bit I've watched them too.

I think Taggart will win at FSU if given time. Problem is that I don't think their fans will give him 3 years.
Oh, I'm positive they won't.

All due respect to everyone’s comments, but my first thought on reading them is “Well, duh. I’m shocked...shocked, I tell ya’”, that some ignorant, 2-bit so-called fans, find an excuse to vent their insecurities on an African-American HC.
I’m sure Taggart had some idea of this kinda thing happening. FSU is an ACC//CFB blueblood...so of course they wanna win now, today, yesterday, and tomorrow.
Unfortunately, sometimes the racial aspect gets figured into these situations, both consciously and unconsciously, regardless of any other mitigating factors.
Not to get too political and i apologize in advance, but as an example when Obama got into office, it was amazing how quickly some folks got amnesia about the economic mess he inherited and expected immediate results. Interesting how some issues like budget deficits are no longer as critical today, as they were when the black guy was running things, no?
If HCWT gets time and a real opportunity, he’ll produce a winner. But therein lies the rub: it’s FSU, where patience is NOT a virtue.

Last edited:
All due respect to everyone’s comments, but my first thought on reading them is “Well, duh. I’m shocked...shocked, I tell ya’”, that some ignorant, 2-bit so-called fans, find an excuse to vent their insecurities on an African-American HC.
I’m sure Taggart had some idea of this kinda thing happening. FSU is an ACC//CFB blueblood...so of course they wanna win now, today, yesterday, and tomorrow.
Unfortunately, sometimes the racial aspect gets figured into these situations, both consciously and unconsciously, regardless of any other mitigating factors.
Not to get too political and i apologize in advance, but as an example when Obama got into office, it was amazing how quickly some folks got amnesia about the economic mess he inherited and expected immediate results. Interesting how some issues like budget deficits are no longer as critical today, as they were when the black guy was running things, no?
If HCWT gets time and a real opportunity, he’ll produce a winner. But therein lies the rub: it’s FSU, where patience is NOT a virtue.
Do you think if he was white, hispanic, samoan, asian or whatever that they would be acting differently? Maybe worse.

No, eventually they'd get around to acting the same way...just not as quickly & certainly not after 3 games. JMHO
Their fall has been so precipitous, from the very top echelon as co-equals with Bama, OSU and the like, to the cellar of the ACC in 1 season and 3 games. I honestly don't think race or color or religion matter in this circumstance.

Their fall has been so precipitous, from the very top echelon as co-equals with Bama, OSU and the like, to the cellar of the ACC in 1 season and 3 games. I honestly don't think race or color or religion matter in this circumstance.
We can agree to respectfully disagree. I think to some folks it’s a factor, not overtly, but a factor nonetheless. JMHO

It seems that he has ramped up his outside the box stuff to try and make himself look even smarter in the end. What he did at Oregon from the OC to HC spot has become standard operating procedure for many, now he seems to want to do even more to try and prove himself as a football genius. Almost like look at me type behavior and now that he is back in the college game he feels he can get away with it. I don't think Chip really cares what people think at this point.

Could be a disaster for sure

Someday coaches are going to realize these football factories are all filled with stupid idiots, and they’ll stay put in their lower pressure job that they’ve already built into a winner.

Good money + job security>>>> Great money + dealing with stupid idiots breathing down your neck in week 3 of year 1.

Well said. Just don't know if that will ever work out and we may have to see if it that does in a few months, Numbers game really as far as finances.

It seems that he has ramped up his outside the box stuff to try and make himself look even smarter in the end. What he did at Oregon from the OC to HC spot has become standard operating procedure for many, now he seems to want to do even more to try and prove himself as a football genius. Almost like look at me type behavior and now that he is back in the college game he feels he can get away with it. I don't think Chip really cares what people think at this point.

He's either going to be a Saban type success story, or he's going to implode spectacularly. I don't think he's going to be bounce between 5-7 and 9-3 regular seasons.

It does. Same way Charlie Strong was on the hot seat from the moment that he was hired at Texas. Situations are very similar. Don't see a lot of GoFundMe pages for Frosts buy out and his loss to Troy at home is pretty atrocious.

No reason for me to think he won't win. Impossible for a normal coach to institute the things that he wants to do in 6 months and Chip is far from normal. I imagine it's going to be year 3 by the time they are ready to get after it. Not much different then what we've seen here. We just all have PTSD after 20 years of abuse so going 4-8 in both of Dino's 1st 2 years wasn't that big of a deal to us and are now reaping some rewards of letting the program marinate for a bit.