Tailgate Alert... | Syracusefan.com

Tailgate Alert...

You mean by getting rid of the first-down clock stoppage? I'll vote for that.

I'd like to see a reduction in the number and length of media timeouts, and I'd be open to exploring a 15-minute halftime break, too. First downs, I'm not advocating for that specifically, but I wouldn't object.

I'd like to see a reduction in the number and length of media timeouts, and I'd be open to exploring a 15-minute halftime break, too. First downs, I'm not advocating for that specifically, but I wouldn't object.
This.

Go to a college football game that is not televised and check out the difference in the way the game flows, the way there is constant action and excitement.

There is such a thing as too many timeouts, and timeouts that are too long. TV is killing the goose that lays the golden eggs with their extreme focus on making as much money as possible per game. People at the games and watching at home have a limited ability to withstand all the interruptions in the action.

To paraphrase badly, if you interrupt it too much, they won't come (watch).

is the length of games the issue or the pace of play? we have teams playing at 10-15 sec pace then at game end its 40. fun games dont take too long its the non game that drags out.

lets have more ad times spent with split screens and fewer game stoppages. the people at the games will feel better and the people at home wont be able to pause and skip as easily.. win win

nothing worse than punt. time out, turnover . time out. replay time out, punt time out..

and change replay to 2-3 min max review time.. if they cant figure it out just live with it

is the length of games the issue or the pace of play? we have teams playing at 10-15 sec pace then at game end its 40. fun games dont take too long its the non game that drags out.

lets have more ad times spent with split screens and fewer game stoppages. the people at the games will feel better and the people at home wont be able to pause and skip as easily.. win win

nothing worse than punt. time out, turnover . time out. replay time out, punt time out..

and change replay to 2-3 min max review time.. if they cant figure it out just live with it

It shouldn't take 3 and a half to 4 hours for an hour of action.

This should absolutely happen, eliminate it other than the last (3? 4?) minutes of the 1st and 2nd halves.

I agree , they move the chains so fast its usually only a 5-10 sec stoppage, so just keeping the clock rolling wouldnt be a big change. Would also reduce the # of plays these up tempo offenses are running. More plays = more injuries, more scoring, more kickoffs, more commercials which makes these games 4 hrs.

You mean by getting rid of the first-down clock stoppage? I'll vote for that.

Or ANY stoppages in play, other than maybe the last few minutes of each half (or quarter) or something.
Incomplete pass? Clock runs.
Go out of bounds? Clock runs.

it would be interesting how people feel when they go to running clock and scoring takes a huge hit . the running clock isnt the reason the games take so long, its all the wasted time thats not part of the game.

Change the playclock on offense to 10 seconds.

Won't affect us at all

1) They will never cut down on media timeouts that is where the money is coming in for these conferences and schools
2) The clock stopping on first downs is a big part of the problem. Compromise would be clock stops after 1st downs only under 2 min before half and end of game.
3) The replay rule is a total joke, give each team 2 and that's it. Even if a team uses both and wins both...that's it you only get 2. This can't just be a game of replays, every play isn't life or death that has to be replayed.
4) Shorten halftime. If it means less time for the damn bands who cares. Halftime should only be 10 min

This.

Go to a college football game that is not televised and check out the difference in the way the game flows, the way there is constant action and excitement.

There is such a thing as too many timeouts, and timeouts that are too long. TV is killing the goose that lays the golden eggs with their extreme focus on making as much money as possible per game. People at the games and watching at home have a limited ability to withstand all the interruptions in the action.

To paraphrase badly, if you interrupt it too much, they won't come (watch).

Yes, Media time outs are way too long/frequent in CFB. College Basketball did some work to improve this with the 4min segment timeouts being combined when called timeouts fall in range and 30 second window around 4min. There is work to be done here for CFB. I can't tell you how many times they have a review on a TD - go to commercial - come back for the extra point- go back to commercial or some very similar scenario. Current rule is 20 per game, eek.

Frankly it not only hurts the in stadium crowd it hurts the TV audience. When I'm watching non-SU games at home I surf to other games/shows during commercials, because they are so long, and frequent even if its a good game. A couple times I've got watching something else and forgotten to go back, and I'm a rabid CFB fan.

My Ideas:
-Increase on the field 'green screen' projected ads between plays to reduce media timeouts. Remember there's only 11-12 mins of actual play time in a football game (more for us under Babers but still) plenty of time for ads on the field. This could actually increase ad revenue because games could be shorter and then staggered to keep people watching the second half of each game all day.

-Set a system similar to College basketball that is more clear for when the triggers will be for a media time out that is public knowledge so fans and coaches know. First stoppage (score/change of possession/review) past the halfway point of each quarter? First stoppage after each 5 mins of game play? That would still be less.

-At stadiums during the media timeouts put on highlights/live action like ESPN goaline, of big games and games of rivals/conference opponents on mute. That way fans at the stadium get to watch games they are missing and the stadium can still run their in house ads.

-I like the 2 reviews suggestion from another poster similar to NFL to keep things moving, except college refs make more mistakes it seems.
-One option is to limit booth review to 30 seconds (or another small window of time) and that's it, can't see it in 30 seconds it stands as called. Just buzz down, on the field ref announces play is under review, game clock stops, players line up as if the call is correct and wait 30 seconds. Play starts immediately and there is no long stoppage unless the play is overturned. If we are reviewing every play don't even announce confirmed or stands as called just put it confirmed or stands on the stadium scoreboard and TV broadcast screen after the next down.
-Maybe combine the two ideas and only the ones that are called by the coaches get the long stoppage.
-Also during first 3 quarters just Kick the extra point and then review the TD during the time out commercial. Just adjust the rule so that if the TD is no good both sets of points go off the board. The clock is stopped anyways.

-Shorter halftime would get my vote too 15 min is fine.

-One option is to limit booth review to 30 seconds (or another small window of time) and that's it, can't see it in 30 seconds it stands as called. Just buzz down, on the field ref announces play is under review, game clock stops, players line up as if the call is correct and wait 30 seconds. Play starts immediately and there is no long stoppage unless the play is overturned. If we are reviewing every play don't even announce confirmed or stands as called just put it confirmed or stands on the stadium scoreboard and TV broadcast screen after the next down.

That is asking for trouble. Giving the guy in the booth too much power. He can just wait out 30 seconds easily to make his buddy ref on the field look good and not overturn it cause he "ran out of time." Just limit the reviews, each team gets 2. That's it. Not every play is life or death game on the line.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom