Tailgate Recipes (Please Post More) | Syracusefan.com

Tailgate Recipes (Please Post More)

TexanMark

Tailgate Guru
From Lou_C (FSU fan via Buffalo)

We'll be making this for Colgate Fine Mess. Probably served with Hofmann German Franks. Or maybe Sahlen's from Tops...unless Orangello brings over some Wardynski's from Erie County www.wardynski.com/

Texas Hots/Michigans

Put some diced onions and mustard on the dog, then the Texas sauce. That's a Texas dog.
No ketchup, relish etc. A little Franks sprinkled on top if you like the extra kick is acceptable.

Texas Hot Sauce
Ingredients
1 lb lean ground beef (lean ground turkey works equally well)
1 large onion, chopped
1 (8 ounce) can tomato sauce
2 cups water
1 teaspoon thyme
1 teaspoon celery seed
1/2 teaspoon ground allspice
1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
1/2 teaspoon salt
3 tablespoons chili powder
1 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon mustard powder

Directions
In a large saucepan brown beef and onions, breaking up large chunks. Drain. Add remaining
ingredients and simmer, uncovered, 2 hours. Tastes better when reheated the next day.

It's about halfway down the page at this link:
http://www.hungrybrowser.com/phaedrus/m1220SA08.htm#3

I would definitely save it...it's always looked to me like that could disappear any time. There are a couple other recipes in a similar vein on that page (and elsewhere on the web) but this is the one that works, at least in terms of the greek diners that served up Texas hots where I grew up in Buffalo.

The cloves, cinnamon, etc are the ingredients I never would have guessed in a million years, and admittedly gave me pause. But when I told my wife, she said "I can see that. Yeah, I can actually see that being right."

And sure enough, with that stuff in there, as soon as it started simmering, you could smell it. Took me right back to Spiros on Elmwood Ave in Kenmore (RIP) or Nestors in NT (RIP). Did a little celebratory dance around the kitchen before I ever tasted it.

Word of advice from my experience...once I've browned the beef and onions, I food process it to chop it very fine. It makes for a smooth thick sauce, which is what I'm looking for, rather than a more watery sauce with bigger identifiable chunks of beef and onion in it. Again, like the recipe itself, whatever restaurant you are trying to recapture may influence if that works for you.

And it's a bit of a hassle to make, so make a really big batch, and then freeze the remaining in ice cube trays. One cube is about enough to top one hot dog (or hamburg, I like it on hamburgs as well). Microwave a cube or two, maybe have to add a splash of water, and you're rocking and rolling as soon as you can grill or fry up a dog. Tastes as good if not better than freshly made.

Got that trick working in a hot dog restaurant called the Char Hut (RIP) back in the day on Delaware Ave that didn't really specialize in Texas hots, but always had some in the freezer to be called upon.

Funny thing is, you'll be Texan Mark, living in Texas, making Texas hots which have nothing to do with Texas at all and nobody in Texas will have ever heard of.

I do this one for nooners/am tailgates. Prep is night before, cook morning of game.

Sausage Egg Bake

1lb(or more) Jimmy Dean/Bob Evans tube sausage
8 Eggs
2 cups milk
1 tsp dry mustard
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp pepper
French Bread/Baguette or whatever other bread you want to use.
1lb shredded cheddar.

Brown sausage in frying pan
Spray/Grease a big cake pan, 13x9, 11x9 whatever. Pan size affects cooking time, smaller the pan, the thicker the bake, the longer it needs to cook.
Cube the bread and dump evenly into the pan. Should cover the bottom.
Once sausage has cooled, mix with about 1/2 the cheese and spread this mixture over cubed bread.
Mix eggs, milk, salt, pepper, and mustard in mixing bowl. Dump liquid over the bread/sausage/cheese.
Cover with remaining cheese and cover dish with saran wrap. Place in refrigerator over night.

Remove from refrigerator approximately 1 hour before baking.
Preheat oven to 350.
Remove saran/plastic wrap and bake for 40-60 minutes until eggs are cooked through.
It's supposed to set for about 10 minutes before serving. This usually isn't a problem since it takes me about 15 min to get from my house to skytop and another 10 or so to get setup.

Tailgate staples:

Your meal:
jack-daniels.jpg

Your desert:
8b44cf1d7e4cfe7c17e9326ec3af6d0b.jpg

Last edited:
Turkey London Broil

This one's easy

• Turkey London Broil (pretty much the same cut as turkey tenderloin - if you can't find that, you can use turkey cutlets)
  • Worcester sauce
  • Soy sauce

Marinade the turkey for a couple hours (longer, if a true 'London Broil cut) in a mixture of 2/3 soy sauce, 1/3 Worcester sauce. You can add some powdered mustard for a bit more zing, if you want.

Grill.

Different, and pure deliciousness. Great (read: easy and tasty) at tailgates.

I've got three that I love to make and I and others love to eat:

Buffalo Chicken Wing Dip

4 cups shredded cooked chicken
12 oz. buffalo wing hot sauce
8 oz. cream cheese
8 oz. shredded mozzarella cheese
8 oz. blue cheese dressing

Now I’m going to give you the easiest version of this:
1. Grab a rotisserie chicken at the store or you could just cook up a couple chicken breasts instead if you are itching to work. Pull all the meat off the bone and shred it and put it in a Ziploc bag without the skin.
2. Pour the hot sauce in the Ziploc bag to cover the chicken and let it marinate a couple hours to overnight.
3. Spread the 8 oz package of cream cheese over the bottom of a 9x 13” glass baking dish.
4. Spread the hot sauce and chicken in the baking dish.
5. Drizzle the blue cheese dressing on top of the chicken.
6. Sprinkle the shredded mozzarella cheese on top of the chidken.
7. Bake it at 325 for maybe 20-25 minutes until the cheese melts and starts to brown just a little bit.

Serve it with those Fritos or tostitos scoops. Good to go!

Sausage stuffed jalapenos (Not really spicy)
25 fresh jalapenos
1 lb. ground hot Italian sausage
1 package of cream cheese
1 package of dry ranch dressing mix (the powdered stuff)
  1. Brown the Italian sausage and put in a bowl lined with a couple paper towels to absorb the excess grease;
  2. Wash and de-stem the jalapenos. Cut them in half lengthwise and get rid of the seeds on the inside
  3. In a bowl, mix the browned sausage with the cream cheese and dry ranch dressing packet. Mix it up with your hands.
  4. Use the jalapeno halves as a vessel that you’ll top with the sausage mix. I put them on a cookie sheet lined with foil and then top them with the sausage mix.
  5. Cook at 325 for 20-25 min.
Bacon wrapped Lil' Smokies
1Package of lil’ smokies
1lb of bacon
¼ cup brown sugar
  1. Pull the bacon out of the package and leave it all together. Slice it into thirds lengthwise so you can use 1/3 of a strip of bacon at a time.
  2. Wrap 1/3 strip of bacon around each lil’ smokie. No need to toothpick them or anything. Put them into a glass baking dish with a little space between them.
  3. Top them with the brown sugar.
  4. Cook them at 325 for 25 minutes to let the bacon cook and the brown sugar to dissolve over them.

Please elaborate on these!!

If I tell you I'd have to kill you.

The first rule of Fine Mess Club is: you do not talk about Fine Mess Club. The second rule of Fine Mess Club is: you DO NOT talk about Fine Mess Club! Third rule of Fine Mess Club: if someone yells “stop!”, goes limp, or taps out, the eating is over. Fourth rule: only two guys to a grill.

Please elaborate on these!!

I can't explain them, I just eat them. Incredible culinary invention, if you ask me. Maybe Jeremy could shed some light on what exactly they're made of?

I can't explain them, I just eat them. Incredible culinary invention, if you ask me. Maybe Jeremy could shed some light on what exactly they're made of?
I heard Dino is on a mission to end Nooners...we won't know what to do menu wise.

I would have to have the wife comment on this to get the true answer but if I recall she used wonton wrappers filled with scrambled eggs and veggies and cheese and fries them up. I think she may have made a sauce to go with it but I can't recall. Only downside is they lose the crispness when fried at the house and sitting for a bit at the tailgate. As good they are, fresh out are 10X better. Egg rolls were new for this year and they seemed to go over pretty well so I assume we will see them next year to.

A post October favorite:

Moscow mule

Copper mug (mandatory)
4-6oz ginger beer
Juice of 1/2 lime
2oz of Vodka
Ice cubes
Lime wedge
Sprig of fresh mint

I would have to have the wife comment on this to get the true answer but if I recall she used wonton wrappers filled with scrambled eggs and veggies and cheese and fries them up. I think she may have made a sauce to go with it but I can't recall. Only downside is they lose the crispness when fried at the house and sitting for a bit at the tailgate. As good they are, fresh out are 10X better. Egg rolls were new for this year and they seemed to go over pretty well so I assume we will see them next year to.
So I am having a cup of coffee yesterday morning and reading paper, had tv on for news but flipped channels came upon Food Network and The Best Thing I Ever Made show (or something like that) and the chef created this Breakfast Lasagna which was layered: pancakes for noodles, maple syrup / bechemel for the bechemel sauce, scrambled eggs and heavy cream for the ricotta, and crumbled sausage and bacon for the meats. All cooked and layered and then topped with sharp cheddar and baked in the oven until cheese was bubbling. Looked extremely evil; may have to try it when we have visitors.

A post October favorite:

Moscow mule

Copper mug (mandatory)
4-6oz ginger beer
Juice of 1/2 lime
2oz of Vodka
Ice cubes
Lime wedge
Sprig of fresh mint
Our Realtor bought us four of those mugs...gotta try that soon

So I am having a cup of coffee yesterday morning and reading paper, had tv on for news but flipped channels came upon Food Network and The Best Thing I Ever Made show (or something like that) and the chef created this Breakfast Lasagna which was layered: pancakes for noodles, maple syrup / bechemel for the bechemel sauce, scrambled eggs and heavy cream for the ricotta, and crumbled sausage and bacon for the meats. All cooked and layered and then topped with sharp cheddar and baked in the oven until cheese was bubbling. Looked extremely evil; may have to try it when we have visitors.

Man that sounds crazy good.

This roast pork recipe takes some preparation, you need let it sit for a day in rub and then roast it the day before gameday. On game day I take the shredded pork and put in on a flour tortilla, add cheese and fold it in half. Wrap them individually in a foil packet and toss on the grill to heat. Serve with salsa and sour cream on the side. You can also add jalapeno slices to the wraps too.

Puerto Rican Roast Pork
1 cup chopped fresh cilantro leaves
1 onion chopped coarse
1/4 cup kosher salt
1/4 cup olive oil
10 garlic cloves peeled
2 tablespoons pepper
1 tablespoon dried oregano
1 tablespoon ground cumin
1 7lb bone in pork picnic shoulder
1 tablespoon grated lime zest plus 1/3 cup fresh lime juice (about 3 limes)

Put cilantro, onion, salt, oil, garlic, pepper, oregano and cumin in food processor and pulse until finely ground. Pat pork dry, get a pan big enough to fit the pork in and lay some plastic wrap in it. You're going to take rub you just made and plaster it all over the pork and wrap it tightly in the plastic wrap. Refrigerate for at least 12 hours or up to 24 hours. Put your oven rack in the middle, lower position and heat oven to 450 degrees. Take a clean roasting pan, pour 8 cups of water in it, unwrap pork and place skin side down in the water. Wrap pan tightly with foil and roast 90 minutes. Remove foil, reduce oven to 375 degrees and roast for another 2 1/2 hours. Remove from oven, spray roasting rack (V rack) with Pam, transfer pork to rack skin side up and wipe skin dry. Place v rack back into roasting pan, add about a cup of water if pan is dry and roast until pork is 195 degrees - about 1 more hour. If you want to crisp the skin to eat separately you can, just turn oven up to 500 degrees and roast for about another 15 to 20 minutes until crispy. ( I skip this part cause I think the skin is gross)

Let roast sit for 30 minutes, pour juices from pan into fat separator if you have one and let settle for 5 minutes. Pour one cup defatted liquid into large bowl, add more water if needed to make one cup. Whisk lime juice and zest in - you can also add more fresh cilantro here but I don't because some people don't like it. Remove skin from pork, trim fat and remove bone. Shred or chop it up and add the juice you just made to it. Good Eats!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom