Tailgate Report | Syracusefan.com

Tailgate Report

javadoc

All American
The obvious - if you can get to one of our away tailgates, you should.

7.5-hour drive up from Atlata Friday night. Freeway closure on I-75 and a persistent drizzle from Chattanooga to Murfeesboro slowed the trip. Got to the hotel at 02:00. Up at 09:00 for the tailgate.

Kudos to the organizers. The dogs were plentiful and delicious. Location was an A+.

I spent a goodly amount of time talking to a guy before the game who was not a die-hard SU fan (yet), but whose daughter was a freshman in Newhouse this year. He is an Illinois grad and lives near Lexington now. We talked hoops and football tradition, and he was surprised to realize how many name-brand football players we've had. Never connected the dots.

This was my first time at Louisville's stadium, and it strikes me as a nice-enough building, but it is not a college stadium. It reminded me of Raymond James, a big, soulless hole. Their fans generally ignored us. The guy selling beer in our section was relentless, up and down the aisle all game. He frequently obstructed my view. And when he set his tray down, folks piled up around it, making things worse. Sight lines were good, and you aren't as far from the field as you are at Clemson or Auburn.

Good to see tomcat at the tailgate, to meet JackBauer44, and to hear Orangejet's continuous analysis of our program and coaching staff throughout the game. Good times at the after-tailgate and wing feast at Roosters with TexanMark, Orangello, JackBauer44, and a couple soon-to-be board members.

As for the game, meh. All things considered, I would have been content with this year if we didn't make a bowl, as long as we were building and improving. It looks like we are regressing. I stayed to the end, so I got to see the hit on Dungey. It was loud, a big crack up in the 2nd deck. They had already taken Estime off kickoffs. Why Dungey was still in there I have no idea.

I think I have seen enough of the current staff. Not all are bad, but there is enough bad to color the entire endeavor. Make no mistake, though, if we fire Shafer this year and hire an offensive-minded, spread-philosophy coach, I will expect instant results, and will be on the case from day 1. It's only fair.

I hope you had a good time, I am glad that you guys are able to meet up for these games. I am also amazed that the fanbase is able to muster virtually any interest for these away tailgates. it is a testament to you folks.

orangehomer said:
I hope you had a good time, I am glad that you guys are able to meet up for these games. I am also amazed that the fanbase is able to muster virtually any interest for these away tailgates. it is a testament to you folks.

Why? I'm seriously asking because as much as I love Upstate NY, it's pretty cool to go on the road and see a bunch of other places and college towns. Personally, I'm glad we're not playing at Rutgers and Storrs. Would much rather go to the ACC locations as many of them are pretty cool spots. Louisville is at or near the top of that list. Great town.

44cuse

You get to see another city and stadium. You get to hang with other fans that you might know primarily from this board, but don't get to see in person often. You get to eat and drink "off the record" to you heart's content. Maybe you come away with a win. If you bleed orange and just like hanging with the guys and drinking some brewskis, it's a no-brainer.

Plus, sometimes you pick up some insider bits on things that aren't for public consumption. Like why the staff told Clark to pound salt.

The tailgate was wonderful. The postgame dinner was a great time as well! Will post more in detail when I have some time. It was an interesting football game - and I'll talk about that as well. I've been nothing but a Shafer supporter and wanted to be committed - however, after seeing that live - put me in the camp of there needs to be a change made.

Thanks to Mark for arranging another fun time, it was great to see some new faces and talk to CUSE fans!

The football game well thats another story...

Thanks to TexanMark for organizing a fun tailgate. And it was nice to meet a few board folks. I took home waaay to much beer. And yes we should do it all again in 2017!

Time to throw my 2 cents in.

We had sold 124 tickets to the game. Our seats were decent...we were in the lower bowl but up kinda high near the goal line. BL: unless you are going to Akron, Wake, etc...seating around the goal line is par for the course for visitors. The seating was nice for folks under 325lbs...the seats are molded plastic and probably a good 18-20 inches across. The sun turned them pink over time. The UL tix rep did an awesome job working with me with some tix adds and last minute adjustments. Despite our record I estimate we only had a couple no-shows in our group. Weather was about as good as we could ask for: upper 40s, mostly sunny and not too much breeze in the early am...warming to about 58 under partly sunny skies.

Thanks to: JohnCuse44, NashvilleOrange and OrangeSox44 for bringing the Coneys. We had 24 lbs of Hofmanns and 3lbs of Sahlens.

Also, huge thanks to OrangeJet for the beer. My favorite beer of the day was the Goose Island 312. I liked the Michelob Golden too.

Additional thanks to JackBauer44, CuseGrad94, Lvillorange for the grills, coolers, canopies, Otto the Orange, etc...finally to cuseroc for bringing the Genny Cream Ale and Honey Brown.

Final thanks to CincyCuse (Katie) for being my Cincy Cuse alumni liaison and helping with tix distro and getting equipment for the tailgate.

Our tailgate was designated the official tailgate for Syracuse University and the school actually sent us some business. Our parking location was about as good as you could get without a permit. We had visits from the AD's wife, John Cunningham, Dave Bartell, Jason Poles and a few other University officials and DVs.

The food was plentiful and all but 2 lbs of the 27 lbs of coneys were consumed! Finally, Hofmanns won hands down to Sahlens among the neutral Cinci/Lville based fans I asked.

We plan to put the tailgate in the same spot in 2017...I hope more of you can make it. We would easily grow to 150-200 without too much effort. These are really fun and it is awesome to sit among 100+ fans on the road and cheer for the Orange.

Special thanks to TexanMark and the Syracusefan crew for allowing me to join your tailgates the past two seasons. Wish we had better results and I am certain, times are a changin' on the hill
Had a blast at the Louisville tailgate and glad to have contributed to the outing by bringing some suds for the guests to enjoy.
Just want to say that I hope I didn't turn anyone off by my game observations and analysis for after having left sweat and blood on the field wearing orange in the past, I truly am miffed and disappointed what has happened to this storied program the past 15 years. I wear my passion on my sleeve and sometimes should keep my big trap shut.
That being said, special thanks again to TexanMark and crew and things will hopefully get better...sooner than later.
Cheers!

Last edited:
OrangeJet...your comments were totally appropriate...I enjoyed the running critique. You kept it classy by not dropping naughty words...it is all good.

Once again thanks for the beer to the USF/UL tailgates.

I made it to my first two Fine Mess tailgates this year, Virginia and Louisville. Much like my participation on this board, I operated on the periphery, but mainly because I went with people I don't get to see that often. I've been going to away games for a few years now, and it's always a blast (although I could stand for a few more wins), but getting to these tailgates this year definitely was an absolute added bonus so thank you to Mark and the rest of the organizers for putting these together. Anyone thinking about going to away games, I highly recommend it both for the travel experience and for the Cuse pride felt at these tailgates.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom