Tailgating Tips + Gear Thread | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Tailgating Tips + Gear Thread

Any of you thinking about smokin meat for a tailgate or home? Here is a nice portable unit for $70 to test the waters with. I'm not sure how long the sale price will be in effect. I just bought one and hope to practice with it. Looks like the ideal size to go camping with too.

Masterbuilt Portable Stainless Steel Gas Smoker - Walmart.com
I will make a couple of suggestions stolen from RandomGuy.

If you have a grill and want to experiment with smoking, get a smoker tube and some wood pellets and give those a shot,

The tubes hold enough pellets to get 4 or 5 hours of smoke. Plenty of time to infuse your favorite meat with smoky flavor on a propane grill. You would presumably use indirect heat to do this.

Cost should be around $30. If it turns out you love the taste of smoked meat, you can take the next step and get a dedicated smoker.

Two other things I have been using a lot recently.,,

A rack for cooking chicken drumsticks.

You hang the drumsticks on the rack upside down. Cook them on your propane grills using indirect heat. Get it around 300 degrees F and cook it for around 2 hours. The grill heat will render most of the fat. The skin gets nice and crispy and the meat gets very tender. Delicious if you like chicken drumsticks.

You can use them to grill wings as well. The best thing is that you hang them, put them in the grill and wait a couple of hours. No flipping, no moving, no anything (it might make sense to rotate the rack once halfway through the cooking process). Again, hanging them so heat surrounds the meat does a great job getting the fat rendered so you get crispy skin and tender meat. This is by far the best way to grill drumsticks or wings.

I recommend getting one with a tray that the rack sits on to hold the rendered fat. You can use it to cook vegetables in the fat, which apparently works really well (haven’t tried that).

You should be able to get one for less than $20 without much effort.

The last thing I have been doing is using a rotisserie with my Weber Genesis grill. Have tried cooking whole chickens and ribs with it so far. It takes a little work to get the meat on the spit properly (can’t have wings or legs flapping around as the meat spins). But it does a really nice job getting the meat tender and some rub makes the meat really delicious. You can get some crispness and Malliard reaction going without much work, Again, you set it up and forget it for a couple of hours. No flipping, minimal cleanup. My kind of meal.

Happy you've enjoyed some of those suggestions sutomcat. ;-)

However you grill, the drumstick rack should really be a no-brainer. Best crispy skins you are going to get. I won't recommend the Weber rack. It has square slots, and its not angled enough, so the drumsticks are far more likely to fall off.

If you love juicy thighs? Go ahead and inject them. Garlic/apple juice/butter. No. They don't taste processed if you do them yourself. They're just better.

Speaking of injecting. If you are smoking a brisket? I HIGHLY recommend injecting with Wagyu Tallow. A wagyu brisket can be $1500. Get a can of Wagyu tallow for $30, and you are part way there. This is rumored to be Franklin BBQs secret. The best brisket in America.

Its not my idea. Check how juicy this brisket is at 6:06.

I will make a couple of suggestions stolen from RandomGuy.

If you have a grill and want to experiment with smoking, get a smoker tube and some wood pellets and give those a shot,

The tubes hold enough pellets to get 4 or 5 hours of smoke. Plenty of time to infuse your favorite meat with smoky flavor on a propane grill. You would presumably use indirect heat to do this.

Cost should be around $30. If it turns out you love the taste of smoked meat, you can take the next step and get a dedicated smoker.

Two other things I have been using a lot recently.,,

A rack for cooking chicken drumsticks.

You hang the drumsticks on the rack upside down. Cook them on your propane grills using indirect heat. Get it around 300 degrees F and cook it for around 2 hours. The grill heat will render most of the fat. The skin gets nice and crispy and the meat gets very tender. Delicious if you like chicken drumsticks.

You can use them to grill wings as well. The best thing is that you hang them, put them in the grill and wait a couple of hours. No flipping, no moving, no anything (it might make sense to rotate the rack once halfway through the cooking process). Again, hanging them so heat surrounds the meat does a great job getting the fat rendered so you get crispy skin and tender meat. This is by far the best way to grill drumsticks or wings.

I recommend getting one with a tray that the rack sits on to hold the rendered fat. You can use it to cook vegetables in the fat, which apparently works really well (haven’t tried that).

You should be able to get one for less than $20 without much effort.

The last thing I have been doing is using a rotisserie with my Weber Genesis grill. Have tried cooking whole chickens and ribs with it so far. It takes a little work to get the meat on the spit properly (can’t have wings or legs flapping around as the meat spins). But it does a really nice job getting the meat tender and some rub makes the meat really delicious. You can get some crispness and Malliard reaction going without much work, Again, you set it up and forget it for a couple of hours. No flipping, minimal cleanup. My kind of meal.
Have you tried a Taco Al Pastor on the rotisserie? I tried it on the electric one and it wasn't without issue, but I'll need to try again. The principle is that the marinated meat spins, while a fresh Pineapple drips on the meat- carmalizing it. Cut off the edges, and serve. Repeat. I'm afraid it may only work on a vertical spit, but I really want to get this working on what I have.

How can you not want to eat this?

Screenshot_20220116-143445_Gallery.jpg

Have you tried a Taco Al Pastor on the rotisserie? I tried it on the electric one and it wasn't without issue, but I'll need to try again. The principle is that the marinated meat spins, while a fresh Pineapple drips on the meat- carmalizing it. Cut off the edges, and serve. Repeat. I'm afraid it may only work on a vertical spit, but I really want to get this working on what I have.

How can you not want to eat this?

View attachment 217226
I am a freshman halfway through my Intro to Grilling 101 class. No, I have no tried this. But it sounds awesome!

Canopies

-- determine the right size for your group and parking situation
-- will it be used where parking limitations are in effect?
-- will it be used primarily in cool to hot weather?
-- how important is color and logo to you?

Canopies can be found on sale for as cheap as $50 to upwards of $300. Anytime you slap a team logo on the canopy expect the price to double. If you plan to use it in an NFL stadium you might be required to use a 8' wide canopy.

Canopy Construction

Canopies are constructed two basic ways: straight legged and slanted or angled legged. Straight leg construction is usually more money but the big advantage is the easy ability to install side walls and good selection of sidewalls. Sidewalls are pricey but pretty much a necessity for late season tailgating. If the weather isn't too bad...only one or two sidewalls will be okay. Generally you install them to either knock the wind down or keep the sun out to set up a TV viewing area. You can find sidewalls for slanted legged canopies but it is a bit harder. The panels will be generic too...I can't find SU logo stuff in slanted legged sidewalls.

View attachment 95656
Straight Legged Canopy with Sidewalls

7dc590795f4bfdf4efe10f824c3d8ad3.jpg

Slanted Legged Canopy With Sidewall (Sorry For The Logo...couldn't find SU)

Don't be that guy

Canopies are big airfoils...and on a windy day you need to secure them.

I suggest bringing some nylon rope as a backup but the best way to keep a canopy down is to use weights. Wind under 10 mph you are usually okay with out weights. If the wind is 10 mph or over or you are expecting gusts you need to secure the tent.

You can pound in some stakes first (if you are on grass or gravel) into the hole on each leg bottom. This really only should be used by themselves in light wind days. For windier days you need canopy weight plates. I like plates that are easy to stack with interlocking design

s-l300.jpg

Obviously the more weight the more wind protection. I like the plates above as they are stack-able and each one weighs 7.5lbs. This should be good for 10-15 mph days. Add another set and you can get to 20 mph. At 20+ mph...you have to be really experienced to put up a canopy. You have to utilize wind breaks and rope.

Cold Days

Sidewalls are key...Get all four sidewalls put up. Install the door opening sidewall away from the wind. You need heat. I recommend a 20lbs propane tank (the size that comes with most grills) and a heater attached to it like this. Make sure you have 30,000 BTU for Syracuse. I find that 15,000 BTU doesn't help much below 35-40 degrees. The heater should have tip over safety protection.
master:GHPG134.jpg

If you have Amazon Prime...that is a good place to start shopping.
I see that the Penn State model shown above is opaque so the molesters can have some privacy.

Last edited:
I am a freshman halfway through my Intro to Grilling 101 class. No, I have no tried this. But it sounds awesome!
Doesn't it? Lol!

I may try with an old offset smoker. You can build a vertical spit with a windshield wiper motor, and use your cars 12 volt supply. Might be decent for tailgating, unless you have 10 hours to spare before eating. (Pastor cooks pretty quick.)

You're supposed to let a brisket rest for at least an hour, so its completely possible for locals to smoke up some brisket/pulled pork and have them just right for a tailgate. (Just don't wrap them in foil)

Has anyone tried the gravity fed charcoal smokers?

OP mentioned recipes.

If you like Mexican/Latin flavors. I rather enjoy things marinated in Bitter Orange(Goya name: Naranja) and Achiote(available online) Its earthy and fragrant, especially if you wrap it in a banana leaf.

Should a student athlete attend a tailgate? Bitter Orange is a BANNED NCAA substance. Its pretty good, though. (You can use oj, grapefruit, lime, if you must) Don't marinate the pork for over 24 hours. The acidity will break it down, too much.

Bitter Orange is really good for Cuban Rice/Pork/Beans. Don't let the low cost of this meal fool you. Its ridiculous. Marinated pork butt, smoked. Cut off serving size chunks, and lightly brown the non smoked edges in a cast iron skillet. Rice with a TON of lime, beans with a TON of lime and Garlic. Topped with fresh slaw(cabbage, touch of honey, lime, and potato sticks) Drizzled with Garlic Crema(sour cream, cream, garlic, lime, salt) And your favorite hot sauce. I highly recommend Barron's West Indian hot sauce. Scotch Bonnets/mustard based. Lots of cilantro.

This is one of the few meals that will completely silence my over talkative family, that can eat more than you can imagine. Like anything, if you take the time, even "lowly" pork rice and beans can be fantastic.

This is a nice, small, adjustable height, table that will not take up a lot of space in any trunk.

This is a nice, small, adjustable height, table that will not take up a lot of space in any trunk.

Those are great with one caveat

Do not put a portable grill on top of them. You'll want to use an aluminum table. Amazon has a small one 28" square perfect for a small portable grill on sale now.

Coleman Outdoor Folding Table | Ultra Compact Aluminum Camping Table, White

Last edited:
Those are great with one caveat

Do not put a portable grill on top of them. You'll want to use an aluminum table. Amazon has a small one 28" square perfect for a small portable grill on sale now.

Coleman Outdoor Folding Table | Ultra Compact Aluminum Camping Table, White
Yes, we tailgate in a garage so no grilling for us. That’s okay though. We have plenty of tasty calories to consume.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom